sucked in future Learner drivers (1 Viewer)

HSC
http://au.news.yahoo.com/061027/2/112tm.html

http://au.rd.yahoo.com/headlines/cobrand/SIG=10t9eqtm9/**http://aap.com.au/Friday October 27, 01:26 PM
NSW changing learner driver requirements

Young lives will be saved by the NSW government's decision to introduce extra restrictions on learner drivers, the NRMA says.
State Premier Morris Iemma announced revised laws would require new drivers to complete 120 hours of driving practice, including 20 hours at night, before they are granted probationary licences.
The move follows the deaths of four teenage boys - Bryce Wells, 17, Mitchell Eveleigh, 17, Corey New, 16, and Paul Morris, 16 - in a car crash near Broken Head in northern NSW early on Sunday morning.
Only the P-plate driver, 17-year-old Tyler Green, survived the smash - with minor injuries.
NRMA Motoring and Services president Alan Evans welcomed the new 120-hour requirement as a "brave move" by the government.
NSW learner drivers also will have to remain on L-plates for a year - up from six months - and P-plate drivers caught speeding at 30kph or more over the speed limit will have their licences suspended under the new laws.
"This is a radical overhaul of the requirements for P-platers," Mr Evans said.
"The NRMA has been calling for supervised driving hours to be increased and for night driving to be a mandatory requirement."
Mr Iemma also said his government would reconsider introducing night-time passenger restrictions on P-plate drivers after Bryce's father Robert Wells urged it to do so.
But the NRMA said the "jury was still out" on whether these restrictions - limiting the number of passengers P-plate drivers can carry after dark - were appropriate.
"No-one wants young men and women being killed in multiple fatality crashes but the last thing we want to do is to undermine the success of designated drivers," Mr Evans said.
"Young people are about the only group where a shift has occurred in attitudes towards drink driving. Designated drivers are a valuable road safety tool for young people."
The changes to the learner licensing scheme will not come into force until July next year.
An advisory panel, which will include NRMA representatives, will look into the merits of passenger restrictions for P-Plate drivers.

Jiga

100 hours is f***kin stupid.... driving on your L's with mummy next to you, an extra pair of eyes, is COMPLETELY different from driving by yourself and with mates. And at the end of the day, all your learn on your L's are the BASIC skills of driving, it takes 20hours to do this already not 50.... doing this wont help anything but inconvenience parents and set our economy back (Young people will have to wait longer till they get certain jobs). The reason why people kill themselves is mainly from being stupid, taking a corner to hard, going to fast, and distractions.

A smart option would have been to make 10hours or so of the curent 50 to be night practice (which decent parents already did with their kids) and then make it compulsory for people who just got their p-plates to attend a driver training course. This would have an effect, especially the course... showing them the relatively crappy limits of their cars in certain conditions and what to do if you are in a emergency situation etc (Im assuming they didnt take this path because it means funding required cos not everyone could afford the course... at govts are only worried about $$$... making it 100hours costs them NOTHING)

Last edited by a moderator:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
It's better than having the legal age to acquire L plates sent up. That probably would have only made the situation worse.

Jiga

But its not 'better' cos they would never lift the age, that would be suicide. They have used a bandade solution, cost effective for them, shuts people up about them not doing anything... but it does very little if anything to solve the problem at hand.

pottsy44

HSC
more like sucked in future parents.

120 hours is stupid. that is far to many hours. i agree with whoever said it only really takes 20 hours to learn. but i still believe 50 is quite a good number.

another thing to consider is people will still make the hours up...

HSC
N/A
120 is ridiculous...

I think 50-70 is a good number.

But I don't think this will stop young drivers crashing, notably those under the influence of alcohol. Making it harder to get one's P's isn't going to stop someone being an idiot and driving with heaps of friends in the car whilst drunk... neither will curfews or passenger limits. If they've already broken the rule about no alcohol whilst driving, why are they going to stop breaking other rules as well?

If anything 120 hours will make more people fake in entires, and more people just driving without their L plates...

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Restrictions for night time driving? Not everyone is like your son mate.

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
100 hours is f***kin stupid.... driving on your L's with mummy next to you, an extra pair of eyes, is COMPLETELY different from driving by yourself and with mates. And at the end of the day, all your learn on your L's are the BASIC skills of driving, it takes 20hours to do this already not 50.... doing this wont help anything but inconvenience parents and set our economy back (Young people will have to wait longer till they get certain jobs). The reason why people kill themselves is mainly from being stupid, taking a corner to hard, going to fast, and distractions.

A smart option would have been to make 10hours or so of the curent 50 to be night practice (which decent parents already did with their kids) and then make it compulsory for people who just got their p-plates to attend a driver training course. This would have an effect, especially the course... showing them the relatively crappy limits of their cars in certain conditions and what to do if you are in a emergency situation etc (Im assuming they didnt take this path because it means funding required cos not everyone could afford the course... at govts are only worried about $$$... making it 100hours costs them NOTHING)
quoted for truth (but isn't 10 hours night driving compulsary anyway?)

I went to one of those driver training courses, it was awesome. It was run by a car insurance company and after I did it they cut down my insurance fee by like, 25% :) (or 15%, or 20%, or somesuch)

lengy

HSC
Accidents are always going to happen. Natural selection.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Just to confirm about these new laws

Do the new laws affect those who are on their L's now and don't go for their P's until after July 2007?

If someone, say, gets their L's before July 2007, do they have to complete the current requirement of 50 hours or the new requirement of 120 hours? And if they get their L's before July 2007, do they have be on their L's for 6 months or 12 months?

Or are all these new laws applicable to those who get their L's after July 2007?

Just want to clarify.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Rayanaldo said:
Just to confirm about these new laws

Do the new laws affect those who are on their L's now and don't go for their P's until after July 2007?

If someone, say, gets their L's before July 2007, do they have to complete the current requirement of 50 hours or the new requirement of 120 hours? And if they get their L's before July 2007, do they have be on their L's for 6 months or 12 months?

Or are all these new laws applicable to those who get their L's after July 2007?

Just want to clarify.
It would only apply to people who got their Ls after july 2007.

But yeah when I got my red Ps I had about 100 hours anyway, in all sorts of conditions. No faking either.
L platers need to be taught the right attitude towards driving, and a driver training course is probably the way to go for this. Or those horrific accident videos they show in drivers Ed in America. Kids need to know that they are not King Shit of the Road, that watching the fast and the furious does not give you any sort of driving skills... that sort of thing.

Pilgrim

HSC
This is fucking dumb. There are no real laws which will change the p-plate fatilities.

What they need to do is put limits on cars so they dont go up to speeds past 120km. (whats the point). they need to make roads safer.

its a shame that fucking idiots like this dude who killed his mates, have to fuck it up for everyone else.

Theyre saying his tyre blew out, but i bet he was fucking speeding.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
<font size="justenoughtoshowimannoyed,butnotsomuchtotakeoverthethreadwithlotsofbigwords>

HOLY SHIT LEARNER DRIVERS...YOU WILL HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A CAR, THATS REALLY BAD, FUCKEN SUCKED IN

:rolleyes:

ps. If they want to do something:

make the RTA test more than fucking drive, reverse, 3point turn, reverse park, here's you CUNTING LICENSE. Make them test driving SKILLS, emergency braking, handling a car.

FUCKING red tape.

</font>

FUCK.

:(

lala2

Banned
HSC
What is with all these car accidents lately? That dude who killed his four friends near Byron Bay, one in St Ives, and one on the Central Coast somewhere...anyawy, I personally think they should raise the age for getting L's to 18, when you're slightly more mature.

Jiga

There are always major crashes, in fact I would say there are ALOT more involving full license holders because there are more of them. But they dont get reported. The media jumps on this young driver bandwagon because its not their job to report the news but get ratings, and its the latest hot topic so every incident involving someone young gets reported now.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
I got my log book. Did 42 hours. Lost the log book. got a new log book, did all my hours. Found the old log book. So i had pretty much 100 hours anyway.

Also.. Isn't it RTA policy (not law) to require drivers to do 50 hours? I don't think it says anywhere in state legislation that you have to do 50 hours......
Um...I'm pretty sure the RTA has been delegated the authority to make legal regulations through legislation such as a Motor Vehicles Act.

pottsy44

HSC

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
This won't change shit. P-platers aren't shit drivers because they've only done 50 hours as L-platers, it's because they do about 10 hours and fudge the rest, or because they simply don't give a shit about driving safely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)