sucked in future Learner drivers (1 Viewer)

chin0o

Awesome Member
HSC
100 hours over a year isn't really THAT bad.

In saying that I filled up my log book with 130 hours, so what ever floats your boat. I enjoyed driving on my L's, I may not have had the freedom I have now on my P's, but it was an enjoyable expierience.

If the extra hours save more lives, then I'm all for it. Although I can see why from a learners perspective it would suck, just be greatful that they aren't upping the age or extending the time you have to have your L's for!

Ishamael

Irate (o_0) Pirate
HSC
I don't see why they don't run endorsed driver training courses at tafe or something.

LOL, if you think this is bad you should see what you have to do to drive in Europe. Getting your license is more expensive than your car.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
chin0o said:
be greatful that they aren't upping the age or extending the time you have to have your L's for!
They're extending the time from six months to a year.

chin0o

Awesome Member
HSC
withoutaface said:
They're extending the time from six months to a year.
Whoops, missed out on that bit. Still, better a year than two.

Most people I know had their L's for a year, even if they didn't spend the whole time driving. :)

Jiga

^

But the thing is, it only takes a very short time to learn the 'basic skills'... the issue here isnt P-platers crashing because they dont know basic skills, its because they are more likely to do stupid things, speed and be distracted. Doing L's for 1000 hours wont help these. In fact, it will never be eliminated because its up to the individual to use common sense. What can be done however which would have a significant effect is driver education, driving courses etc... showing kids the limits of their cars (most people young and old have no idea how far their car can be pushed, so how will they go in an emergency situation when you have a split second to think and dont even know how hard you can turn given the situation!), educating them on safety techniques such as correct braking for cars without abs and manuvouring around hazards under all conditions etc (pumping the brakes etc to avoid lock up) and a number of other things. This is what saves kids lives, you are NEVER going to stop them getting into trouble as you cant for anyone considering the many variables your faced with on the road, but you CAN teach them how to react under the cirumstances to give them the best chance of gettiing themselves out of it in one piece.

The governments strategy is completely wrong, and as Ive already said, its main motivation is not with young drivers safety in mind... its about a cost effective solution, not to reduce the the death toll, but to address all the media interest the recent crashes have attracted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zozo6969

HSC
putting it up to 120 wont make a scrap of difference. after 30 hours, you know all the road rules. however, the kids need to learn the implications of speeding, drink driving, hard acceleration round a corner, all that sort of stuff. it needs to be taught in schools or wherever. they need driver training, they need to try and do impossible things in cars, but not on the roads. try them on skidpans so they know that they cant be the next Peter brock in race car driving. or rather.........they could be, wrapped round a tree.

Zozo6969

HSC
putting it up to 120 wont make a scrap of difference. after 30 hours, you know all the road rules. however, the kids need to learn the implications of speeding, drink driving, hard acceleration round a corner, all that sort of stuff. it needs to be taught in schools or wherever. they need driver training, they need to try and do impossible things in cars, but not on the roads. try them on skidpans so they know that they cant be the next Peter brock in race car driving. or rather.........they could be, wrapped round a tree.

HSC
yes.

They need to have a shock campaign which every driver goes through.. However then we would have a generation of delinquents (..... more so than what we already have).

I think everyone needs to not over react. These multi-fatalities are nothing new, and it wont be the last. It's a sad consequence of a society obsessed with driving.

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
There are always major crashes, in fact I would say there are ALOT more involving full license holders because there are more of them. But they dont get reported. The media jumps on this young driver bandwagon because its not their job to report the news but get ratings, and its the latest hot topic so every incident involving someone young gets reported now.
yeh. How successful do you think a media story would be if it said "look at how reckless these fully licensed drivers are. We need MORE restrictions placed on them. Just the other day, a fully licensed driver killed himself and his wife. I think we need to lower their speed limit and put a curfew on them".

It would be heaps successful..(sarcasm)

But it's never going to happen, because the media like to create punching bags. They like to create a common enemy or group that they can complain about to try to get people rolling. They are obsessed with ratings and have no scruples.

ajaxbanggang

HSC
N/A
does this apply to all learners that already have their L's or is it only for people that go for their L's from now on???!!

HSC
They haven't implemented it yet i don't think, but when they do, it will apply only to people who get their L's after that date. Law can't be retrospective.

CieL

HSC
^ Dickhead, read through the whole thread, your Q has already been answered. (EDIT: Whoops you posted b4 me, i meant the ajax dude)

This whole targeting young people thing is driving me insane.

How about those old fucks on the road that can hardly see past 3 metres. Dozens of them nearly rammed into me.

And two accidents which weren't my fault, they were caused by fkn FULL LICENCED people. BOTH of them rammed into my rear. Maybe they should go back to their Ls with 150hrs, another 50hrs by night, at least another 200hrs with supervision with mummy and daddy, and get their licence suspended for going 15kms over. FUCK!

Those full licenced fags dont even know how to abide with the 3sec gap rule. Maybe because they think that they're so fkn experienced by now they can ride up ur ass and avoid any accidents rararara... It's idiotic how they dont get penalised for the things they cause..

*mad*

chin0o

Awesome Member
HSC
It says in the first post that it isn't being implememted until July next year.

bizadfar

HSC
Man u dont know how much these L restriction fuck other P platers and other young drivers in general. I'm a huge motorsport addict, and I do karting. My parents are very touchy on motorsport. As soon as they saw the article, they started going psycho at me, that young people don't know limits and bla bla bla..after all isnt that we are doing racing karts.... and racing in general?). you're going to get yourself killed bla bla bla bla( I know the limits of my pos car (168km/h!), and I know what to do in certain situations.

Another thing is I dont really blame the guy who caused the accident(i blame him for the earfull i get from my parents!). When you have unsensible drunks in the car (assume the driver wasnt drunk), they do all sorts of shit. (One guy pulled my handbrake in the middle of an intersection). And i've heard stories where other dumbasses climb over you and play games with the driver.

Also when these laws came, i straight away said it wont do much for young drivers. More advanced driver training is need. Better roads are required (oh man do not get me started on Sydney roads - horrible) But as someone pointed out, our government is a greedy fuckwit.

I say it wont do much than nothing at all, because i beleive it will do something that u fail to see. You keep these king shitheads off their P plates for longer, the more they stay away from sensible drivers. Insurance, I predict rates to be a bit lower with these rules.

I agree with the skidpan thing. I usually go to a Park with a parking area strip seperating two ovals. No one is there at night time/early morning, and you can do anything you want really(find the limit!)

Anyway similar hours are required in Vic and SA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)