subway: whats it lilke??? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
My little brother got a job there last week- his first job. They totally screwed him over. He was on the registers- alone- within half an hour of his first training shift. They were paying him $4.20 p/h. The manager was a bitch. They expected him to know all the subs off by heart and they told him he wasn't allowed to change his shifts for 6 months.

He was there for three days.

I was shocked at how crap it was. :eek:

Another friend worked there and was given shifts from 8 - midnight. He's 15 and was working alone and responsible for closing the store.

That's just stupid.
:eek: :eek: wtf? working alone, at night, at 15, and responsible for the store, with no other authority/adult supervision...damn i would hate working there!!!!!!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
happy cup said:
my friends gets any sub for $1 and her friend who works at a different subway store gets them for free. How lucky!
haha my brother's getting ripped off!! he has to pay $2 for a sub!

(yeah, he's working at subway. it seems that he works heaps there)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
movie tickets? awww i still haven't got them... =( i work for 5 hrs and i get a footlong and unlimited drinks (and i dont have to record the drinks down... thats silly!). and cookies? gosh.. i'm getting sick of them actually!! i wish i could steal them when they're cooling down coz they smell absolutely scrumpdilicious...ahhh so tempting!!

it's not so bad...you can't expect so much from being a "Sandwich artist". work is quite repetitive and simple but it can be a break from your intensive study loads from school/uni. but wouldn't work anywhere else be just as repetitive?..i wouldn't work for subway for a yr full time though. no way.

the rates arent the best because once you go in, you go in as a trainee, and you don't get much, but i think it's better than getting nothing.

klh

HSC
they said i need to have speed when making sandwiches.
how do i gain that speed when i a friggin trainee? and its possible that they wont take me in becoz i dont have experience. its fwuked. had an interview the other day. and they said they would give em a try. i reckon they want free labour for bloody 6 hours from me.
and they gave me this list to 'memorise' about what ingredients they have etc. its a bloody bugger.
plus they thing sdoesnt even tell me about how to put everything together.
can sopmeone at least tell me how to make a sandwich, the step by step instructions etc. and what about wieghing? is it already done for you or do oyu have to weigh it by hand or something???
the list aint helpful and htey were busy when i had the interview so my questions werent answered much.
if you can help again, thanks.

ChrisE

HSC
dont stress so much dude, when i started i was slow as, had no experience whatsoever, forgot everything, made silly mistakes dropped subs on the ground etc. but with practice it becomes second nature.
with measuring things like meat portions, its all done out the back usually before hand. with salads its really easy. its all in 3's for number of slices of things like tomato, pickles, cucumber and for lettuce and onion its all guess work. its really easy after some time in the middle.

klh

HSC
though i hate the job, its all im 'qualified' for. and as a person who hasnt touched meat, i dont know al the meats names adn what their suposed to taste like. like if a customer asks what it taste like, what am i going to reply? uhh it tastes like chicken?

THanks Chrise!

waterfowl

HSC
daiana said:
but wouldn't work anywhere else be just as repetitive?
Depends where. I work at Myer and although it can be boring it usually isn't too repetitive because you get moved around the departments sometimes. Sooooo much better than Subway.

klh said:
they said i need to have speed when making sandwiches.
how do i gain that speed when i a friggin trainee? and its possible that they wont take me in becoz i dont have experience. its fwuked.
It takes a while to gain the speed. When my managers started to push the whole speed thing, at one point she started timing me with a stopwatch! Too much pressure! At one point I was serving a woman and it took 5 minutes, and manager wasn't too happy, but luckily I had a good excuse - the customer was pregnant and therefore very picky and constantly changed her mind.

i reckon they want free labour for bloody 6 hours from me.
It's illegal for you to work without getting paid, even if it is a try out.

and they gave me this list to 'memorise' about what ingredients they have etc. its a bloody bugger.
I worked there for over a year, and still didn't know all the ingredients for each sub when I left.

klh

HSC
so they pay??? they didnt tell me, all they said was theyll give me a try. where can i print out this law?
thansk very much, youve calmed me nerves down.

waterfowl

HSC
klh said:
so they pay??? they didnt tell me, all they said was theyll give me a try. where can i print out this law?
thansk very much, youve calmed me nerves down.
I don't know where the actual law is, but they can't make you work for nothing, unless you want to.

klh

HSC
MY day at subway, 26/3/05.
I dont think i am going to be succesful at all.
Since they had a holiday on friday, we had to do all the prep for the food and stuff in the morning. i was at the place with another experienced person and the boss.
My first job was to put the shredded lettuce in those containers and label the dates and stuff, that took me about 15-20 mins becoz they wouldnt fit and i didnt know we could stuff them down.
my second was to to the teriyaki chicken. put all them frozen chiken and the sauce, stir and weigh them into the little trays. that took me about 30-40 mins because i was weighing them with accuracy. they told me that variances are allowed later on, i got it quicker by the middle of the first container but lossed time when i had to fill the containers with the trays to the brim etc.
third was the steak and weighing them up too.about 15-20 mins. i just hate squeezing the juice out when my hand is in the gloves.
then it was time to familairse with the store and stuff, the otehr worker tested me on breads and sauces and how to make a sandwich.
by that time it was 11-11.30 and i started at 9.30 so i dawdled alot and the other person did like 5-6 things already.
then i had to go and serve the customer, and they told em to wear the tag 'trainee', i felt like homer simpson when he was at gulp 'n blow...was my esteem put down.
most of the cutomers were alright, they let me take my time. the toehr woker tells them, 'your not hungry are you?" that pissed me off but i tried to take it lightheartedly.
i got some that wanted more olives, lettuce and tomatoes etc. and i kept asking the times to put the grilled chicken in the microwave which i kept forgetting. similarly to the breads, i kept forgettting which one was which. i only remembered which was white and wheat, after like geting owned by the worker, i got used to honeyed oat, herb and the cheeses and herb one.
and then as i was serving a cutomer with the steak thingy, you know it has the paper covers, i forgot about them and tipped the whole thing into the sub without realising, and the worker just said hey, look! and i was surpised so much i jumped when i saw the paper.
and i kept being cut in by the others coz i was slow and they finished the sub and stuff.
and also i was stupi9d: this guy asked for meatball sauce and becasue i was at the salads part i went to the hot part and got sauce and ran over to the unfinished sandwich, drpping like sauce all over-yes everybody laughed.
now since i am comepting with 5 other trainees, it dont look like my chances are high.
i feel so downtrodden...
the upside? the boss was nice and said stuff like everybody is slow but we are comparing all the trainees which fit the rpofile of fast etc.
and i got 2 free drinks which wasnt so bad.

waterfowl

HSC
Gosh that sounds very full on for your first time. At least you would have been paid holiday rates...oh crap I forgot Subway don't do that, bad luck.

My first time was at another store (my store hadn't opened yet), and I had a one on one with my stores owner who gave me the basic rundown on the kitchen, how ours differed. Then was asked to prepare some tomatoes. Then went out the front and was shown out there and how ours would differ, served a couple customers with owner next to me to help me along the way. Only three hours.

Next couple of times were just training videos and such, and one night where all the people who were starting work at the new store (all trainees! so much better) were trained a bit more and made each other sandwhiches to practice customer service.

But of course first open day was a bit stressful.
And Grand Opening couple weeks later was VERY hard (half price footlongs or something like that, the line was soooo long).

klh

HSC
nope, being paid another day but isigned those agreements. i have to go to another work day to train with the other boss.
you get training videos? oh man....
to hell with this, im gonna look for something else for backup work.
btw, im just a recent follower of star wars...gotta love the dark side quotes though. 'give yourself to the dark side' that is like so evil.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
hey klh,
yea everyone's really klutzy on their first day. and when you do those set ups it takes absolutely forever...but at least you're not doing the onions...i absolutely hate doing the onions... and i don't like mopping coz u have to put the chairs up... oh my first day.. i was putting the chairs up.. the chair fell down and gave me a hicky! a perfectly stright hicky! it stung! =(

i dont mind the repetitive work (yet) but what i hate so far:
1. when those customers don't know how to say "lettuce" or even "cucumbers" they're continually pointing at the salad and omg sooo annoying!.. "i want this this this that that that"

2. onions

3. smelling the yumminess of freshly baked onions go into the cool room, and u cant touch it... =(

4. the stupid radio. the exact same songs are played over and over again. why can't we have mozart or beethoven for a change.. gr =/

Janine

HSC
N/A
I work at a subway, and when I started I was sooo terrible, I was always forgetting to put my gloves on, didn't know the difference between turkey and roast beef....I was a disaster!!

Now I'm practically running the joint. It's an ok job, the worst thing about it is having to constantly serve customers - ie:sometimes I'm stuck out the front serving nonstop for a good 6 hours!

Hang in there mate! Subway isn't easy for newbies. We're always getting juniors who stuff up all the time, and we don't care -everyone was pretty crap when they first started!

waterfowl

HSC
Janine said:
I was always forgetting to put my gloves on, didn't know the difference between turkey and roast beef
How could you not tell turkey and roast beef apart? It's not like they are the same colour.

klh

HSC
thanks all. but like i said prospects are slim that i am succesful. the other trainees might be more 'Less clumsy/klutzy" than i was so fudge.
if only you were the people i worked with, id be happy :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
subway employees - i want to know something about the little stickers you give out. the card says they are only valid for 6months, is that true? do the colours mean something? or can i stick all my different colours from 2 years ago plus stickers from this year onto the one card?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
em_516 said:
another thing though..and i don't think this is just because it's in scone and a new business..but i don't think you get paid for working on public holidays..
thats illegal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)