subway: whats it lilke??? (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
ive searched through all the older threads and many poeple seem against subway, saying its repetitive and pay less.
i just wna tto know who is employed by subway now to ask how its like and the pay.i thought thsi is common in all fast food reatil outlets.
im not guaranteed a job buts its mroe like ly i do get one at subway becoz i know the managers.
thanks for any help.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
heres tip learn to type!!! everything these days needs to no if you can type.. u cant

em_516

bludging..
HSC
dave_119 said:
heres tip learn to type!!! everything these days needs to no if you can type.. u cant
you can't really talk dude..

my cousin works at subway in scone (lol) and i think she's pretty happy with it (although i think she gets tired of the repetitiveness as you've already said)..but a girl that worked there moved to the gold coast and got a transfer to one of the subway shops there and she says she can't stand it and the conditions are horrible etc.

so maybe it depends on where you're going to be working?

another thing though..and i don't think this is just because it's in scone and a new business..but i don't think you get paid for working on public holidays..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I've heard that the employment agreement you sign at subway strips you of many rights. I have also heard that people get screwed over at certain subway stores.

But it depends on your store.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
dave_119 said:
He's just on a forum! It's not like he's typing up an essay.. who care's if there's spelling mistakes. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the topic! My friend works at Subway and she loves it! I think she gets around $10 an hour.

waterfowl

HSC
em_516 said:
\another thing though..and i don't think this is just because it's in scone and a new business..but i don't think you get paid for working on public holidays..
I worked at Subway, and this is true. They have you sign an enterprise agreement, and you get paid the same rate no matter if it is a Sunday, public holiday or whatever...which really sucks.
I got $8.32 when 16 and $9.75 when 17...you can get better pay, with penalty rates, at many other places.

I started working at 'my' Subway when it opened. At first it was fun and it was a great job, but then the owner/managers started to get serious and it became a tiresome and repetitive job.
Therefore the job was only fun when I was working with my livelier co-workers, and when it was a good day (ie. no bastard customers or problems).

I now work at Myer and am MUCH happier there.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
My little brother got a job there last week- his first job. They totally screwed him over. He was on the registers- alone- within half an hour of his first training shift. They were paying him $4.20 p/h. The manager was a bitch. They expected him to know all the subs off by heart and they told him he wasn't allowed to change his shifts for 6 months.

He was there for three days.

I was shocked at how crap it was. :eek:

Another friend worked there and was given shifts from 8 - midnight. He's 15 and was working alone and responsible for closing the store.

That's just stupid.

Last edited:

klh

HSC
could you guys say where those stores are???
how much would they pay a 19 yo? hopefully more than ten.
i apologise for my spelling mistakes but i was excited at the prospect of getting work when i havent been succesful in the 3 months ive been looking for it. they just rand me yesterday so i was looking for any advice.
man that sucks about the enterprise agreements and stuff. the thing is ive never been to subway in my life, im a maccas/hungry jacks type person.
the thing is you say that its a tiresome/repetitive...i just thought it was the same thing as maccas work.
thansk for your feedback. ill still tr the place out and if its shit, ill leave. also, do you guys know what the leaving procedures are?

ChrisE

HSC
waterfowl said:
I worked at Subway, and this is true. They have you sign an enterprise agreement, and you get paid the same rate no matter if it is a Sunday, public holiday or whatever...which really sucks.
I got $8.32 when 16 and $9.75 when 17...you can get better pay, with penalty rates, at many other places.

I started working at 'my' Subway when it opened. At first it was fun and it was a great job, but then the owner/managers started to get serious and it became a tiresome and repetitive job.
Therefore the job was only fun when I was working with my livelier co-workers, and when it was a good day (ie. no bastard customers or problems).

I now work at Myer and am MUCH happier there.

your subway experiences mirror mine almost. subway is crap, i work there full time as it is my year off from study and its not fun. the customers are annoying and think they know everything, you have to do everything i.e. till, make subs, prep, clean up and other shitty jobs. i am a fill in manager on monday and tuesday and i have to close the shop and i only get 10.50 and im 18. look elsewhere for a job trust me.

ChrisE

HSC
klh said:
also, do you guys know what the leaving procedures are?
when i left the first time (i came back after the hsc ), i just told my boss i was leaving and after two weeks i was out of there. really easy but it was embarrasing telling my boss i was leaving.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
waterfowl said:

Haha! exactly the same thing happened to me... i started working at mine when it first opened, and it was all fine and dandy in the beginning, but then it went downhill quite quickly.. the managers had poles shoved up their gluteus maximus' most of the time... They realised they had hired too many people, so instead of just letting people off, they'd just cut back their hours. I was one of their victims.. i ended up only getting one three hour shift a fortnight.. so i told them to stick it!

waterfowl

HSC
klh said:
also, do you guys know what the leaving procedures are?
Theoretically you only need to give them a day I think it is; but generally even though the managers may be a bit annoying and controlling, if you work there for a while you may get to like them, so you want to be nice.
I wrote a formal termination of employment letter about a month before I left, but they said all you really need is a letter saying "Name, I will no longer be working for you from Date".

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
my friends gets any sub for $1 and her friend who works at a different subway store gets them for free. How lucky!

ChrisE

HSC
superbird said:
i hear you get a free sub during your break time
depends on the franchisee, at my store we get a free six inch, cookie and unlimited drinks which is pretty good i reckon. sort of makes up for the lack of pay and rights etc.

beware of the slicers there but. ive been off all week on workers comp because i sliced my finger open on the tomato slicer cleaning it, fainted and had a fit. oh how i love my job.

klh

HSC
ohhh ouch chrise...hope you get better.

what rights do they take away from you?

waterfowl

HSC
superbird said:
i hear you get a free sub during your break time
As someone else said, depends on the managers.

At mine you got a free six inch if you were working 5-6 hours and a free footlong when working over 7 hours (I think, I can't really remember).
Unlimited drinks when working, regardless of time.
All leftover cookies at end of night.

They introduced incentives such as free drinks from fridge, movie tickets etc only a couple weeks before I left :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
nessie_lee said:
Haha! exactly the same thing happened to me... i started working at mine when it first opened, and it was all fine and dandy in the beginning, but then it went downhill quite quickly.. the managers had poles shoved up their gluteus maximus' most of the time... They realised they had hired too many people, so instead of just letting people off, they'd just cut back their hours. I was one of their victims.. i ended up only getting one three hour shift a fortnight.. so i told them to stick it!
that's wort of a way of letting people go. some don't put up with it and leave, some do and stay

HSC
They give you a free 6 inch or footlong, ONE cookie and unlimited drinks.
But for every drink you take, you have to put it on record so they can see how much you've taken.

waterfowl

HSC
whiterabbit said:
But for every drink you take, you have to put it on record so they can see how much you've taken.
That sucks, which Subway is this? You are talking about post mix drinks aren't u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)