Subject Selections for year 11?! (1 Viewer)

sleepybearx

HSC
It's that time of year where year 10, have to pick subjects they have to do in senior years.

& IT'S HARD!
:chainsaw2:

I'm currently having some difficulties picking what subjects I should do for year 11 next year ; 2013 ; which requires 12 units minimum.

These are my current choices:

• Advanced English - 2 units
  • Maths Extention 1 - 3 units
  • Legal studies - 2 units
  • Chemistry - 2 units
  • Economics - 2 units
  • SOR 1 - 1 unit

TOTAL : 12 units

And i'm concerned about
Work :

1. The workload : HOW MUCH WORK DO I HAVE TO DOOOO?!
  2. The Scaling for the subjects .
  3. Stress levels : Am I able to get through each of the subjects?
  4. Time management : HOW DO I EFFECTIVELY MANAGE MY TIME!?!?!??!?!?! :spzz:

The subjects :
  1. What are your experiences with some/any subjects?
  2. What would you recommend doing in preparation (if possible)
  3. How do you study for them?
  4. Your opinions on my subject choices

:bomb:
My long-term goal : I'm not sure what I want to do at uni, I need to gather opinions and that...
However so far: what I have in mind is:

• Bachelor of Commerce with Law

EVERYONE Please comment what you will be choosing !
And your opinions ! :) :)

OOTZ OOTZ
comment pl0x!!!

kazemagic

HSC
Im planning to do:
Adv Eng
Maths ext1
SOR 1
Chem
Physics
Economics
Biology(if possible, since I've already got 12 units)
Business Studies (if possible, since I've already got 12 units)

HSC
Hello,

Well im in Yr 11 now and had to face the same desicion as you like everyone else going to year 11. The subjects you have chosen are very hard and require a lot of effort if you want to go good. To answer your Q's.

The workload : It's a lot of work...
The Scaling for the subjects: your definetely doing the ones which scale high xD
Stress levels : Well, It depends how hard your prepared to work..
Time management : It requires a person who can manage their time well.

The subjects :
What are your experiences with some/any subjects? Well. Im doing Chem, Advanced English and WAS doing Maths Ext1 just like you. Advanced English is actually easy besides the Shakespear factor. Don't do standard english or it'll rape your ATAR. Chem is a very intresting subject with quite a bit of subject content which requires a lot of effort to learn and put what you learn into practice. Maths Ext 1 wasn't just my thing. They went so fast and couldn't keep with up with the workload.
What would you recommend doing in preparation (if possible): Really I don't see anything you can be doing but reading.
How do you study for them? Study for them like any other subject in Yr 11 and 12. You will learn about your new bible next year called the Syllabus which you will write your notes from for each dot point
Your opinions on my subject choices: Personally if you think you will be able to cope go for it. Remember you can always change at the start of Yr 11 and you can drop Maths Ext 1 if your having troubles like I was. If you like science I would definetley recommend Biology. It's a lot of content but if your intrested you can't go wrong ;) .

Well Goodluck and let's see what the other BOS'ers have to say.

Last edited:

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
The amount of work you do really depends on how much you are willing to do and how easily you are able to grasp concepts, of course this varies between subjects. You should only keep the subjects that you LIKE and you will have opportunities to change subjects

Overall the subjects you have chosen are good.

-Don't drop legal, best subject in the world-

sleepybearx

HSC
I'm kind of a procrastinator, The workload I'm willing to do... Well, I'm not entirely sure but I can 'try' to be a dedicated student, but is it achievable? I know I can do it, but I'm usually a perfectionist and easily get frustrated when things don't go to plan.
In terms of time-management: I CAN manage my time effectively, but it's my habits that are a hassle and also my passion towards a subject.
HOWEVER: I AM willing to do it, I just don't know if I can manage?!?! It's extremely confusing. I'm just so doubtful...

Generally, I can dedicate my time and I am willing to work all day all night and I can manage time effectively BUT will I survive?!?!?!

I'm worried about maths extension 1. I honestly don't think I can cope and have a chance of dropping it however,
4 things are concerning if I DON'T do MX1 :
1. If I don't select MX1 . I have to pick either Exploring Early Childhood , Sport, lifestyle and recreation or Work studies, in which I DON'T want to do and seems pretty crappy and a waste of time.
2. My teachers say just doing 2 unit by itself is stupid, might at well do MX1 or General
3. If I don't to MX1, some prerequisites for uni might not be satisfied
4. I have expectations from my tutor, family and friends to do MX1.

At this point; i'm unsure if I want to get into Science --> medicine/pharmacy or Commerce --> Law.

LOL !!!

kazemagic

HSC
MX1 is pretty fun. Year 10 and earlier maths is pretty dry, but you need them for a MX1 foundation. BTW why arent you doing physics?

sleepybearx

HSC
I don't like the whole 'MOTION' topic in physics and it's just really boring to me... HAHAHA But biology is OKAY, it's the content that scares me.

@wannabesurgeon why are you dropping Ancient? :S and what maths do you do ?

kazemagic

HSC
lol i'm not dropping ancient, it's just that i never did it in the first place. Now that you mention it, I might consider doing Ancient. atm im doing mx1

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
lol i'm not dropping ancient, it's just that i never did it in the first place. Now that you mention it, I might consider doing Ancient. atm im doing mx1
Please, PLEASE try and do Adv English, MX2, Eco and Chem if possible - they are the uber scaling combo that'll REALLY help you get a better ATAR. I'd even recommend swapping eco for phys. Throw the SOR in there and you'll have 11, no problemo.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Workload - You have to be aware that you'll have to put a lot of effort into Mathematics Extension 1 even though it's technically only 1 unit while Mathematics is 2 units.
But, if you're doing well in MX1, you'll most likely be smashing Mathematics.
Otherwise, 12 or 13 units is what most people. No workload problems at all.

Scaling: All of them are good. But, scaling does not matter because your performance is what matters. I could get 80 in Physics and 95 in Business Studies and scaling wouldn't make Physics outscale my Business mark.

Stress Level: Are you going to be able to go through your subjects? All depends on you m8.

Time Management: You have to learn how to do this yourself. All depends on you.

As for your subject questions, they'll all be answered when you start your life as a Year 11 student.

You will end up answering your own questions next year.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Please, PLEASE try and do Adv English, MX2, Eco and Chem if possible - they are the uber scaling combo that'll REALLY help you get a better ATAR. I'd even recommend swapping eco for phys. Throw the SOR in there and you'll have 11, no problemo.
Eco scales higher than Physics. Just sayin'

Eco scales as much as Chemistry (which scales higher than Physics) if not higher.

Also that's plain bad advice. Uber scaling or not, one can get a high ATAR if they do well in any subjects.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Workload - You have to be aware that you'll have to put a lot of effort into Mathematics Extension 1 even though it's technically only 1 unit while Mathematics is 2 units.
But, if you're doing well in MX1, you'll most likely be smashing Mathematics.
Otherwise, 12 or 13 units is what most people. No workload problems at all.

Scaling: All of them are good. But, scaling does not matter because your performance is what matters. I could get 80 in Physics and 95 in Business Studies and scaling wouldn't make Physics outscale my Business mark.

Stress Level: Are you going to be able to go through your subjects? All depends on you m8.

Time Management: You have to learn how to do this yourself. All depends on you.

As for your subject questions, they'll all be answered when you start your life as a Year 11 student.

You will end up answering your own questions next year.
"Scaling: All of them are good. But, scaling does not matter because your performance is what matters."

I'm sorry, but that's not true at all in real life situations. It's a lot, lot, lot, LOT easier to obtain a FINAL scaled mark (the one that goes towards your aggregate) of say, 90 in Physics compared to Business studies (where you'd have to be amongst the best in the state). There's a reason that 9/10 people who get 99.95 have done MX2, phys and chem.

"Otherwise, 12 or 13 units is what most people. No workload problems at all."
I would argue that 13 units is really pushing it for many people. I did 10 and whilst I found it okay, it certainly wasn't a walk in the park!

"Time Management: You have to learn how to do this yourself. All depends on you."

This is true =). Most of what you've said is rather on the money, RivalryofTroll! Good luck, and I really like the quote in your sig!

kazemagic

HSC
Have you had the run through by your school of each subject ?
Naw, did it in tutor

Ye I was planning to do MX2, adv eng, phys and chem. But I doubt i'll be good enuf for 4u maths lol

enoilgam

HSC
I disagree, if you are looking to get a mega high ATAR i.e. 99+, then you need to give scaling some consideration (but not too much). However for any body else, you need to pick subjects based on what you are good at and what you enjoy. Yes, chem, physics and MX1/2 scale well, but if you arent good at them then they arent going to do your ATAR much good.

Also, the subject selection of kazemagic is quite high scaling - sure its no "Asian 10", but you could easily get a 99+ ATAR with those subjects without the need to state rank in them. For more info on the subject, see wendybirds thread here http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=259484. Personally, I think it is one of the BEST threads on the site (up there with that english guide thread) and a must read for all year 10 students.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
LOL mate, if he's not good at them, no point in choosing those subjects. Eco scales better than Phys at times as well, so other than the fact that Eco requires more essay skills which are different to sciences, I don't see why Phys and Eco OR Chem and Eco would be much worse.

I'd recommend OP to pick MX1 and see how he goes. Along with that, pick Adv. Eng. Now you have 5 units out of the way. Choose at least 2 out of Phys, Chem and Eco and then that leaves you 4 units left with which you can have Ancient and Legal. (13 UNITS).

AMIRITE iSplicer?

Last edited:

plasticities

HSC
The scaling for all of those subjects is really good. For workload, you can get by on the bare minimum for english and SOR, but you'll obviously have to dedicate a larger portion of your time to the others. I found that my stress levels were more linked with how well the teacher taught the course, rather than how hard it was.

For english and sor, all you need is a really good understanding of what's expected of you in essays. For math, practice questions are always the best, and chemistry you need a solid foundation knowledge (cover all the syllabus point) but then go through as many practice questions as you can.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Pay a little attention to scaling, but also try and choose subs you are good at/like as this will help you get through the next few years not only alive, but happy.

If you think you could handle maths/phys/chem, go for it, but remember you'll be spending 2 years of your life on these subjects.

Last edited:

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
MX1 is pretty fun. Year 10 and earlier maths is pretty dry, but you need them for a MX1 foundation. BTW why arent you doing physics?
I was talking to a classmate who is doing intermediate maths at the moment and topping it. He really thinks that he is capable of doing MX1 next year even though he hasn't done many topics in 5.3 maths such as trigonometry and co-ordinate geometry. I told him that 2U maths would be difficult enough but he should only choose it if he genuinely thinks he can do it. Is it likely that he will be able to do MX1?

kazemagic

HSC
I was talking to a classmate who is doing intermediate maths at the moment and topping it. He really thinks that he is capable of doing MX1 next year even though he hasn't done many topics in 5.3 maths such as trigonometry and co-ordinate geometry. I told him that 2U maths would be difficult enough but he should only choose it if he genuinely thinks he can do it. Is it likely that he will be able to do MX1?
I don't think he'll be able to do MX1, even if he does he's gonna fail it miserably without a solid foundation. But if he gets a tutor and works hard now, it shouldn't be much of a problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)