Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

jackono

HSC
Hey. I'm in Year 10 at the moment and I am about to enter in my subject selections. Could I please have your thoughts on the following subjects. I hope to get a UAI of 99.6 so that I can do a Commerce/Law degree at Sydney Uni.

English (Advanced)
English Extension 1
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Economics
Drama
French

I am not that great at maths, however it is important for the Commerce part of the degree. I intend in Year 12 to drop Maths Ext 1 and take up English Ext 2. Any comments and suggestions would be great.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
That's a pretty good combo..if I were extremely bent on getting into law I would probably find a way to squeeze Legal in there...just look at melsc as an example of the kind of people who do Legal Studies for Law at uni, that said it wouldn't really make a big deal as your choices are fine just the way they are(wish I could have done Drama or French...that would have been so cool!).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
kami said:
That's a pretty good combo..if I were extremely bent on getting into law I would probably find a way to squeeze Legal in there...just look at melsc as an example of the kind of people who do Legal Studies for Law at uni, that said it wouldn't really make a big deal as your choices are fine just the way they are(wish I could have done Drama or French...that would have been so cool!).
Hi LOL
I wanna do law to as kami meantioned. I do legal but you dont need to do it unless you want to. Law only requires the highest level of English you can handle so its great you are thinking of 4u English :) Only do legal if you find it interesting but one thing I suggest you do is Mock Trial...its great fun and really gives you an insight into legal stuff.

Doing French is also great. I do French and Italian and its good for any job to know another language. One last suggestion, Pick your subjects based on ur ability and interests. So many pick their subjects based on the way they think they will scale to get them and they find the hard or boring. The best thing for ur UAI will be taking the subjects you have a interest in and enjoy :)

If you have any questions about subjects I do, Law or Mock Trial give me a PM or post them here I am more than happy to help. I remember what it was liek trying to chose my subjects and worrying about UNI...UAI's and stuff
Good Luck
Mel :)

Last edited:

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
I reckon they're all good, except maybe drama, cos I don't know if it scales up or down but it involves a lot of work apparently. Be careful of choosing subjects that are too hard, though, cos if you do badly in them, scaling doesn't help that much. And they'll drive you insane eventually.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I wanted to do a law/arts course as well. After my half yearly results, i don't think i'll have the UAI to get in. As far as law/commerce goes, the best subjects for that would be English (you'll want at least 3 u but u may as well do 4u coz it's heaps of fun) and modern history. Your choice of subjects does seem suitable for your purposes though.

mishka

HSC
N/A
that is so true!! i did chemistry *for the sake of doing a sciency subject* and hated it... so i dropped it after i found out that B Ed courses didn't really require a science. I focused on my Community & Family Studies and Society & Culture marks and did well in those instead of wasting time figuring out chemistry stuff.

i would definitely research prerequisite subjects so you know what's expected first, though :)

jackono

HSC
Thanks for the responses. The only assumed knowledge for law is English, and it asks for the highest level of English you are capable of. I believe the commerce part of the degree requires a pass in at least 2 unit maths. Unfortunately, drama is not changeable. According to this site, in 2003 it was scaled -0.3. However I am good at the subject and a scaling this close to 0 should not be a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)