• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
rolror88 said:
Just got a quick question about Catholic Studies and SOR1. What is the HSC exam for SOR like? Is it easy? I'm not sure if I should do which one. I'm leaning towards Catholic Studies cause my workload in year 12 is gonna be a lot (I'm thinking of doing 4 unit maths; but see how I go next year)

The benefit for me doing SOR1 is that it is a backup subject if I only do 11 units for HSC. Advantage for Catholic Studies is that after my trials, I have like 2 ish months to concentrate on the 10 units which are going towards my UAI. Any opinions?
I have seen some year 12 papers and HSC papers for the SOR I course... It looks soo freaking easy. Now I do enjoy learning about other religions and cultures and do know a little in general knowledge about them but it is that easy that i think I could get at least 75% in one of the HSC papers for the SOR I course. A lot of it is multiple choice and then your own opinion (though to give opinions you do need to know something :))

Haha, SOR I looks easy... SOR II is a little more intense.

candytrip

Slacker
HSC
Wow I didn't know that some schools make you do Studies of Religion. I wanted to do it myself but I already have 13 units and I found out that they were focusing on Buddhism and Isalm (interested in Christianity/Theology) so I didn't.

English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Legal Studies
Society and Culture Studies
Economics
Photography (Year 11 only 1 unit course)

Fuck yeah, no Science.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
They cannot do that. You cannot just skip Prelim and do HSC. Otherwise, you are screwed. I thought it was mendatory to test students on prelim topics before they are elligble for HSC contents.

I don't think it's a good idea even it is possible to skip prelim.
I skipped my prelims, we just cramm the whole two year course in one year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
I skipped my prelims, we just cramm the whole two year course in one year.
No, what I meant by was that you still have to do Year 11 topics before commencing your Year 12 topic.

You acn skip the year but you still have to meet the requirements set by Board of Studies that prelim must be completed before commencing on HSC topic.

Tell me, did you or did you not learn Year 11 topics?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
No, what I meant by was that you still have to do Year 11 topics before commencing your Year 12 topic.

You acn skip the year but you still have to meet the requirements set by Board of Studies that prelim must be completed before commencing on HSC topic.

Tell me, did you or did you not learn Year 11 topics?
Well yeah, we did learn Year 11 topics, we crammed them in the first half of Term 1. But officially I haven't completed the preliminary course for Ext 1 (only for 2 unit because I accelerated last year).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Well yeah, we did learn Year 11 topics, we crammed them in the first half of Term 1. But officially I haven't completed the preliminary course for Ext 1 (only for 2 unit because I accelerated last year).
Exactly. You have learnt the Year 11 topics. It is a requirement set by Board Of Studies that all students complete their Preliminary courses at a satisfactory level before they undertake their HSC courses. I don't think he/she can easily accelerated without completing the Prelim task. (unless special permission is given by BOS)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Exactly. You have learnt the Year 11 topics. It is a requirement set by Board Of Studies that all students complete their Preliminary courses at a satisfactory level before they undertake their HSC courses. I don't think he/she can easily accelerated without completing the Prelim task. (unless special permission is given by BOS)
Well maybe their school has a way of teaching the prelim and HSC course in the same year. Like when I did the accelerated course last year, I thought I was skipping my prelim as well, however I later realised that those topics we learnt first were Prelim, not HSC. I'd say, if the school organises it, then just give it a try. Most schools which accelerate - know what they're doing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Well maybe their school has a way of teaching the prelim and HSC course in the same year. Like when I did the accelerated course last year, I thought I was skipping my prelim as well, however I later realised that those topics we learnt first were Prelim, not HSC. I'd say, if the school organises it, then just give it a try. Most schools which accelerate - know what they're doing.
But he/she said that she/he is skipping Prelim and moving on to HSC, which is not a valid move.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
But he/she said that she/he is skipping Prelim and moving on to HSC, which is not a valid move.
I think he/she is just not too clear about how they are accelerating - like I thought I was skipping prelims last year as well. I'm pretty sure a school would just force you to skip something, or not teach something everything that is required by the BOS.

I think, if he/she is 100% sure they are skipping prelims, then I would agree with you and re-consider accelerating, but if you are not 100% sure, ask your teacher or your coordinator (or head teacher or whatever public schools call them) and clarify with them, how the accelerated program works at their school, then decide.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
For the HSC, then it is belonging. For year 11, it depends on your school, like I am currently doing Relationships at my school in Year 11.
lol that sounds cheesy :p

I'm doing Inner Journeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)