Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Hello people, My turn to ask for your comments regarding subject selection lol.

I'm planning to do:

Maths
Maths Extension 1 (Highly likely chance of taking up MX2)
Adv. English
Chemistry
Physics
Economics
SOR 1 (Compulsory)
Legal or Biology (Dropping in year 12)

Our school requires us to do 13 units.. And because I don't want to do Ext 1 English, it kinda throws my units off balance so I have to do 14. I don't want to do SOR 2, cause I find Religion really boring (even though.. somehow I am good at it). My school isn't that academically orientated, its more sporting focused, so there are a lot of guys in my year who do muck up and don't study.

I do envy those schools who offer accelerated courses!!

So.. Does anyone have a similar subject selection to mine? How is the workload (I know I won't have any free/study periods :S)?

I don't really know what career I'm looking for, maybe medicine. How is everyone's approach? Do you get the UAI first, as its probably the most important factor, then worry about the "assumed knowledge" stuff at uni?

Thanks

HSC
rolror88 said:
Hello people, My turn to ask for your comments regarding subject selection lol.

I'm planning to do:

Maths
Maths Extension 1 (Highly likely chance of taking up MX2)
Adv. English
Chemistry
Physics
Economics
SOR 1 (Compulsory)
Legal or Biology (Dropping in year 12)

Our school requires us to do 13 units.. And because I don't want to do Ext 1 English, it kinda throws my units off balance so I have to do 14. I don't want to do SOR 2, cause I find Religion really boring (even though.. somehow I am good at it). My school isn't that academically orientated, its more sporting focused, so there are a lot of guys in my year who do muck up and don't study.

I do envy those schools who offer accelerated courses!!

So.. Does anyone have a similar subject selection to mine? How is the workload (I know I won't have any free/study periods :S)?

I don't really know what career I'm looking for, maybe medicine. How is everyone's approach? Do you get the UAI first, as its probably the most important factor, then worry about the "assumed knowledge" stuff at uni?

Thanks
mine are quite similar..never heard of a school making you do 13 units..
just doing ext1 english&maths, physics, legal studies, not sure if i wanna do eco though..

my approach..get the 100UAI (haha) then have fun selecting a course..

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Old UACs and QTACs are the best way to have a gander at pre reqs, but with medicine, alot hangs on the UMAT from what ive see, before you ever get your uai.

You've got the right sciences for it anyways if you keep bio.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I've got a similar subject selection to yours.

I'm doing:

Maths Ext 1
English Standard :(
Chemistry
Economics
SOR 1 (forced)
Ancient History

Quite similar right?

Yes. I envy those with subject acceleration too. Apparantely, I will get only a few free periods, so I could imagine how many you would get.

WOrk out how many free periodsyou will have by working out how many periods a day your schoolhas?

The workload will be fine as long as you manage your time properly.
Yes. Get the uai first instead of the assumed knowledge.
I've already given in my subject selection form, but I really regret not choosing Biology over Chemistry. And I regret choosing Economics.

Dunno why. I havent started on my subjects yet, but I already feel some regret. Esp on Standard English and Chemistry.

HSC
nerdsforever said:
I've got a similar subject selection to yours.

I'm doing:

Maths Ext 1
English Standard :(
Chemistry
Economics
SOR 1 (forced)
Ancient History

Quite similar right?

Yes. I envy those with subject acceleration too. Apparantely, I will get only a few free periods, so I could imagine how many you would get.

WOrk out how many free periodsyou will have by working out how many periods a day your schoolhas?

The workload will be fine as long as you manage your time properly.
Yes. Get the uai first instead of the assumed knowledge.
I've already given in my subject selection form, but I really regret not choosing Biology over Chemistry. And I regret choosing Economics.

Dunno why. I havent started on my subjects yet, but I already feel some regret. Esp on Standard English and Chemistry.
ahh..we hav subject selection evening on monday..due in by friday..
really anxious to know the lines

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
ahh..we hav subject selection evening on monday..due in by friday..
really anxious to know the lines
The lines ruin everything. I went from doing Business Studies to Biology to Physics to Japanese and then to Physics AND Japanese.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
rest assured 95% of the time every science will have its own line.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
rest assured 95% of the time every science will have its own line.
And probably around 80% for commerce-y subjects like Legal, Business and Eco.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
rolror88 said:
Not if you want to do medicine. Because medicine requires an interview it is important to do subjects that make you seem 'medically oriented'. But I think with your subjects you should be fine as you are doing sciences and ext 1 maths (and possible ext 2) not subjects like histories, art etc.

rolror88 said:
As for workload, your subjects are similar to mine (except I dont do physics, or SOR). I've found it fine to cope with them, but i'm sure that there would be a lot of people who would not. If you are academic and willing to put in work I think you should be fine.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't expect that you will be able to even choose 14 subjects. If there only a few students doing 14 units then its possible but if there are a decent amount... around 10 students doing 14 units then (depending on the school) might make you drop one back.

P.S. Ask your teacher about accelerating. I 95% doubted that my school could even offer it and know I am going to be accelerated in 2unit maths! YAY. I start year 11 maths in week 5 and complete my HSC in year 11 :). If you just ask... especially about maths then they will probably consider it and whether it will fit into the timetable is another.

If anyone is considering doing accelerated courses I would only recommend doing the minimum 12 units because you will have to come out of some classes to go do the acceleration with a teacher (some on your on). Much of your free periods will be taken up by catch up work and studying for the accelerated course.... I'm prepared though :D

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Wow, thanks for the rapid replys. Is there a way to multiquote?

So, basically, I know that medicine requires UMAT, CV and interview and all that jazz.

but with medicine, alot hangs on the UMAT from what ive see, before you ever get your uai.
I've heard that if you get say, a UAI of 99 and a UMAT score of 150, and another person gets a UAI of 96 and a UMAT score of 180, they'd give the interview first to the guy/girl with the higher UAI??

mine are quite similar..never heard of a school making you do 13 units..
Catholic Schools, well-I know Christian Brother's Schools do e.g. St Pius X (Lyounamu's school) because they give that 1 unit for the compuslory SOR or Catholic Studies.. But yea, it sucks a bit.

I'm applying for a selective school for next year (If I get in, I may be able to do 2 unit maths and get a feel of the HSC, If I'm good enough) ; I'm not sure if I'll get in, but I'd hate to think that I could of got in if I tried, so yea.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Only some schools will ever make you do 13 units minimum. Many catholic schools recommend it because the SOR I is a compulsory course there. I attend a catholic school and the 13 units isn't compulsory just the 12... so I do the 12.... free periods to catch up on schoolwork missed where i have to come out of class for accelerated Mathematics.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
.never heard of a school making you do 13 units
Its more that the school gives you little choice when SOR is compulsary. You choose your 12units plus SOR.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
I've read this somewhere before.. But my brain just cannot think right now.

What is the AoS for english next year? Is it journeys?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
rolror88 said:
I've read this somewhere before.. But my brain just cannot think right now.

What is the AoS for english next year? Is it journeys?
AoS is different for every school in year 11. You'll most likely do belonging in 2010.

swathard

HSC
Aquawhite said:
Don't expect that you will be able to even choose 14 subjects. If there only a few students doing 14 units then its possible but if there are a decent amount... around 10 students doing 14 units then (depending on the school) might make you drop one back.

P.S. Ask your teacher about accelerating. I 95% doubted that my school could even offer it and know I am going to be accelerated in 2unit maths! YAY. I start year 11 maths in week 5 and complete my HSC in year 11 :). If you just ask... especially about maths then they will probably consider it and whether it will fit into the timetable is another.

If anyone is considering doing accelerated courses I would only recommend doing the minimum 12 units because you will have to come out of some classes to go do the acceleration with a teacher (some on your on). Much of your free periods will be taken up by catch up work and studying for the accelerated course.... I'm prepared though :D

hey im doing an accelerated course too, ive been selected to do modern history accelerated, but the thing is that I am skipping the prelim course and will just start with the hsc.. so im in yr 10 now, and will do hsc in term 3 of next year..

that means, with the accelerated subject, i will have 13 units, not 12.

ext. 1 english
2U maths
business
legal
TAFE accounting

are my other subjects.

im a really good student, im in a selective school with 90% + for all my subjects this year, but I'm not sure if even that'll compensate and allow me to cope better.

what do you think?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
swathard said:
hey im doing an accelerated course too, ive been selected to do modern history accelerated, but the thing is that I am skipping the prelim course and will just start with the hsc.. so im in yr 10 now, and will do hsc in term 3 of next year..

that means, with the accelerated subject, i will have 13 units, not 12.

ext. 1 english
2U maths
business
legal
TAFE accounting

are my other subjects.

im a really good student, im in a selective school with 90% + for all my subjects this year, but I'm not sure if even that'll compensate and allow me to cope better.

what do you think?
They cannot do that. You cannot just skip Prelim and do HSC. Otherwise, you are screwed. I thought it was mendatory to test students on prelim topics before they are elligble for HSC contents.

I don't think it's a good idea even it is possible to skip prelim.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Just got a quick question about Catholic Studies and SOR1. What is the HSC exam for SOR like? Is it easy? I'm not sure if I should do which one. I'm leaning towards Catholic Studies cause my workload in year 12 is gonna be a lot (I'm thinking of doing 4 unit maths; but see how I go next year)

The benefit for me doing SOR1 is that it is a backup subject if I only do 11 units for HSC. Advantage for Catholic Studies is that after my trials, I have like 2 ish months to concentrate on the 10 units which are going towards my UAI. Any opinions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)