Subject Selection Dilemma! (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
Okay here's the deal. I've chosen if not gone close to confirming my subject selection choices for year 11, and I'm just been having constant thoughts about what I should do. But here's what I'll be doing anyway:

English Advanced
Mathematics General
Legal Studies
Hospitality (VET)
Business Studies / Economics
Modern History / Society & Culture

My subjects will be due in next Monday, 23rd June. [I have not finalised my choices yet.]
Could you tell me what the scaling for all my subjects are, AND of the last four subjects I listed, which two would be better? I'm considering doing

Hotel Management, Sales & Marketing, Illustration, Business & Franchising, or Psychology in University/ later on in my career.

Would I have to have to do any pre-requisites subjects I did NOT put down?

Please give me some advice? I've been staying up too late thinking about this.:hammer:

miss-smexy

HSC
akrinis said:
Okay here's the deal. I've chosen if not gone close to confirming my subject selection choices for year 11, and I'm just been having constant thoughts about what I should do. But here's what I'll be doing anyway:

English Advanced
Mathematics General
Legal Studies
Hospitality (VET)

My subjects will be due in next Monday, 23rd June. [I have not finalised my choices yet.]
Could you tell me what the scaling for all my subjects are, AND of the last four subjects I listed, which two would be better? I'm considering doing

Hotel Management, Sales & Marketing, Illustration, Business & Franchising, or Psychology in University/ later on in my career.

Please give me some advice? I've been staying up too late thinking about this.:hammer:

Economics scales higher than Business Studies by quite a lot. However, the course IS harder - but if you work hard it'll pay off and you'll get scaled up heaps. Biz studies is a bludge though and a not so hard subject - so you don't need to work as hard to get good marks.

Modern History scales higher. If you like writing essays and are good at analysis, i'd choose this. Also, Ancient History is very interesting too.

bettina44

HSC
akrinis said:

English Advanced
Mathematics General
Legal Studies
Hospitality (VET)

most of the subjects you chose have ok scaling except for hospitality.however don't be turned off by the scaling,i know its kinda cliche but do the subjects that you enjoy the most and do good in.

business studies is more of a subject that you can study off a textbook,while economics is more analytical and you actually have to under stand it.eco is not that content heavy but it does involve essays.

as for modern and society and culture.modern scales better and you also need to consider the major project for society and culture-its a can be big time drainer and requires a lot of work

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
akrinis said:

English Advanced
Mathematics General
Legal Studies
Hospitality (VET)

I would choose Modern over Society and Culture. The other one Im trying to work out as well.
Try not to stress too much. Worst comes to worse, you can change subjects beginning of year 11 if you get into your class and realized you have made a mistake.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I would choose Bussiness Studies over Economics because it relates more with your career plans.

akrinis

HSC
Crap, there's no more Modern! My history teacher and careers advisor told me only 5 people chose it, and now I feel screwd.

Biology, Chemistry, Society and Culture, Multimedia, and Economics. What do I do?? :worried:

A friend suggested I do at least one Science because it's important or something, I don't know. But I've got till tomorrow to make my decision.

History is easily my favorite and best subject, and I loved learning about wars, but now I can't. :(

Someone help me, I'm going crazy.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Don't choose subjects based on the thoughts of others (e.g. people thinking certain subjects are too hard/easy, too much work/bludge or whatever) --> choose them based on interest, ability and preparation for future careers.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Have you looked at my thead called "What are you going to do next year"? Have a look at the first 2 pages and the last page.

To do Psychology, assumed knowledge is Mathematics. (not General Mathematics)

However, you can also take a bridging course so let's leave it at that. If you cannot do the subject that you like, my heart reaches out to you. That's highly tragic. But...why not consider Ancient History???

It is a History subject and if you want to learn about wars, Ancient History is the best subject for you. You learn about Punic Wars between Carthage and Rome, Trojan War (which may not even have happened, but you look into great details), the reign of Rome as the largest Empire the world has every seen, Alexander the Great of the Macedonia, the conflicts between Athens and Sparta, Greece, Egypt. That is just fascinating, isn't it?

On top of that, you will watch moveis like Gladiator, Troy (hopefully), Hannibal and etc.

As bored of sc said, I should not give random recommendation to why you should do that or not do that. But as your friend said, doing one Science would be good. If you are a person who is quite good at Science, why not do Chemistry? It's a hard work but it's highly rewarding. If you are quite decent at Science and still want to do it, choose Biology. I am doing it and I enjoy it very much.

CHOOSE CAREFULLY!!! (LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT).... jokes

Last edited:

akrinis

HSC
lyounamu said:
Have you looked at my thead called "What are you going to do next year"? Have a look at the first 2 pages and the last page.

As bored of sc said, I should not give random recommendation to why you should do that or not do that. But as your friend said, doing one Science would be good. If you are a person who is quite good at Science, why not do Chemistry? It's a hard work but it's highly rewarding. If you are quite decent at Science and still want to do it, choose Biology. I am doing it and I enjoy it very much.

CHOOSE CAREFULLY!!! (LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT).... jokes
Yeah, I took a look and found the info really helpful, so thanks for that. I might be doing Bio now, but I've still not fully decided yet, but I'm looking at the Science which is least maths-oriented. I've chosen 3U English, General Maths, VA, Business already.. so I'll think about it again and post back when I've made my decision.. hopefully.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
akrinis said:
Yeah, I took a look and found the info really helpful, so thanks for that. I might be doing Bio now, but I've still not fully decided yet, but I'm looking at the Science which is least maths-oriented. I've chosen 3U English, General Maths, VA, Business already.. so I'll think about it again and post back when I've made my decision.. hopefully.
Good on you. Biology is a great subject in my opinion. I do it as well. I find it very intersting. On top of that, the contents are quite easy to asborb as they are highly straightforward. Only problem would be the amount of the contents. But that problem can be easily overcome as long as you put work into it. Good luck. :) :) :)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
dont ever do standard english, i cannot stress this any further

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you choose society and culture, be prepared to work very very hard in year 12.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Nasonex said:
dont ever do standard english, i cannot stress this any further
Why? People still get extremely good UAI with English Standard. At my school, all the Asian Duxes got 99.9 UAI or 99.5+ UAI with English Standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)