N/A
Hi, I have already chosen my subjects for next year; they are

2 unit English
3 Unit math
Chem
Phys
Modern
Eco

So, I got back my results for my maths test the other day and i was like:eek: I ended up coming about 130/150 in my whole grade. Well, actually, its not like I am actually really good at maths though, I haven't passed the median since year 8; but still I am getting progressively worse (last semester I got ranked 127/150, expecting worse this semester). Still, my parents, being Asian still thinks I should do four unit maths, and started to send me to tutoring and shit. They keep on saying that, oh I have talent at maths because I was good at it in primary school :headbang:. It's not like I dont get the concepts, I just tend to make a lot of errors in working. I am hoping that i can improve by next year(studying heaps in the holidays):read:

Maths 2 unit is compulsary next year(along with english). Plus everyone in our grade, has the option of doing 3 unit maths regardless of their marks (perks of being in a selective school). People keep saying to me, that since i am gonna be forced to do 2 unit anyways, might as do 3 unit as it is not that much harder. The problem with that is, if I continue to get crap marks next year, than I dont have a choice in dropping maths.

Okay, the second part problem is that despite not choosing ext. english next year for now ( I am sure of this decision), I am planning to drop one of eco/mod/phys/chem for it early in term 1(say, its kinda like a trial period.) So than I will only have 12 units left, as we can only do a max of 13 units( have to drop a 2 unit to pick up ext. eng). Which means that I can't completely cut back on maths if i happen to completely fail, without doing extension two english or extension history( in Year 12). Yeah and I suck with time management, so I wish to avoid any major projects. Also, I am doing decent in both english and history at the moment.

So my options are basically
1. do three unit maths, and risk failure, and be forced to do history extension( if available) or english extension 2.
2. Or just stick with two unit, and miss out on the opportunity to do three unit maths, in turn I would miss doing four unit maths(which would of helped me with my two unit, as well as missing out the opportunity to do my highest scaling units), as well as meaning i wont get to do EX2 maths.

For those of you who havent fallen asleep reading my long and nonsensical post :sleep: , hey i would like some advice:wave:

munchiecrunchie

HSC
if you're already struggling with maths now, its best to stick to a level you can cope with, ie 2u maths.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
There is abolutely no point doing 3 unit to do 4 unit just because they're high scaling if you're performing poorly in maths...

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ouch...

Well You could spend the whole holidays doing some study for maths but that also depends if you like maths but since you have to do it you got no choice...

Well I guess you could try 3u maths and if you find it hard you could drop down to 2u which will leave u with 12 units total. If you find 2u hard you could go to general if you school has it, i've heard it just real life stuff like consumer etc... But if you want to do ext english well then I guess you're stuck with 3u maths but you can always study and give it 110% effort :D

Meh lol i've made a stir fry of word up there, hope I helped :S

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
hey,
i believe you can do well in maths next year...2unit maths is alot different to 7-10 math. If u bother to do the homework everyday and do every question and ask if u need help then i assure you that you will do extremely well (based on experience, using fitzpatrick 2unit book).
3unit and 4unit is much the same, if you are willing to do the work/homework everyday or pretty consistently u can do fine even without tutoring which is what i'm planning to do.

so in conclusion, i believe you should do 3unit math, at worst u can just drop back to 2unit math as its not too difficult if you do the work and then do lots of past papers. and you will do really well if u do that.

lolman12567

HSC
if you like maths and are really willing to work just do 3unit and as everyone said if it gets too hard just drop back to 2unit.

studentcheese

HSC
Accept Mathematics Extension 1 and await the opportunity to be able to do History Extension and English Extension 1 in Year 12 (since you are decent in both History and English). MX1 won't be too hard :) if you study and listen to the teacher.

speedofsound

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
There is abolutely no point doing 3 unit to do 4 unit just because they're high scaling if you're performing poorly in maths...
Exactly. If you choose 4 unit purely because of the scaling when you're obviously not doing very well at the moment, you're just going to fuck yourself over in the end. I feel like shooting myself in the face everytime someone wants to do a subject purely because of it's scaling.

Do what you're good at it, and that appears to be subjects that require English related skills. It will benefit you.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
also, 4unit wont help your 2unit coz u dont do 2unit in year 12 if u do 4unit
Really? Does that mean you don't attend the classes or you just don't do the exam...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
also, 4unit wont help your 2unit coz u dont do 2unit in year 12 if u do 4unit
You do 2unit, you just don't do the assessments.

MissGiggles

HSC
really? wow but thats not gonna make that much of a difference - still two papers. my stratgy for next year is that because it will be so different i might actually do better with a new pace or i might fail miserably so i might as well give 3U a try.

you can drop down (and get a head start on the lower class) but you can't drop up. same goes with 3U english for me. ill leave my options open and see how bad i go coz i never do homework or listen and still get decent marks.

to anyone who does 4U anything i say you need a better life (sorry Gatzby if you're reading this you're still awesome even if you do humanities)

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
MissGiggles said:
really? wow but thats not gonna make that much of a difference - still two papers. my stratgy for next year is that because it will be so different i might actually do better with a new pace or i might fail miserably so i might as well give 3U a try.

you can drop down (and get a head start on the lower class) but you can't drop up. same goes with 3U english for me. ill leave my options open and see how bad i go coz i never do homework or listen and still get decent marks.

to anyone who does 4U anything i say you need a better life (sorry Gatzby if you're reading this you're still awesome even if you do humanities)
err...okay then. =/

fully223

HSC
Sounds like you should try 3U then drop to 2U if your stuggling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)