Subject advice (1 Viewer)

Dementured

HSC
I've got a bit of a problem. Any help would be appreciated. :)

I'm thinking of dropping Legal Studies. It's starting to be extremely boring, and I feel that I could better use the time to study for harder, and 'better' subjects like maths, physics etc. However, i'm coming first, and i'm getting fairly good marks (90+ avg), so i'm extremely confused.

Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if you dropped - you'd have 10 units. How are you going in those? Because if you say "oh yeah btw, coming dead last in chemistry" - then suddenly your Chemistry mark is going to count to your ATAR.

And your reason for dropping is partially so you can study. Are you sure you'd use the extra time to study? I dropped Economics when I did the HSC and I found myself mucking around with friends in the newfound study periods I got.

enak101

HSC
Well, if you dropped - you'd have 10 units. How are you going in those? Because if you say "oh yeah btw, coming dead last in chemistry" - then suddenly your Chemistry mark is going to count to your ATAR.

And your reason for dropping is partially so you can study. Are you sure you'd use the extra time to study? I dropped Economics when I did the HSC and I found myself mucking around with friends in the newfound study periods I got.
That's what I feared about dropping Ancient History. I may as well keep it since some of it is at least a bit interesting, the extra time would probably end up mostly wasted :p.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've got a bit of a problem. Any help would be appreciated. :)

I'm thinking of dropping Legal Studies. It's starting to be extremely boring, and I feel that I could better use the time to study for harder, and 'better' subjects like maths, physics etc. However, i'm coming first, and i'm getting fairly good marks (90+ avg), so i'm extremely confused.

Thanks.
You need to assess how you will go in Legal comparatively.

Like our dux one year got 98 in legal, it pretty much annihilated their 89 in chem (when it goes into the calculation for ATAR) even though they had to put so much more work in Chem for thm because it was not to their natural subject set.

Full list of subjects, current ranks/cohort size and school rank?

enoilgam

HSC
Post up your ranks and school rank to give us a clearer picture of where you stand.

Capt Rifle

HSC
I'd say keep it man, getting those kind of results are very rewarding.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Keep legal man, what is the point of dropping when you're coming first and getting awesome marks? Its true about the study periods, i thought i would get heaps done in them but in reality, if you have friends around they're a massive distraction.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Post up ranks for all subjects, without that data it's impossible to make a valid judgement.

eat_well

HSC
If you absolutely hate legal, then drop it. You should probably wait after a while though because your marks for another subject might drop and you would want to keep legal.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is impossible to guess until we have the specs on all the OP's subject.

But you would need solid reasoning to drop a subject you're 1 in, especially if you find it easy to do so. (Case in point, I studied probs one of the least for Modern History out of my subs, and I ended up rank 1 (i.e one of my best subs) and I'd say it's going to definitely, definitely count for my ATAR).

SO only drop it if you are absolutely, absolutely sure you can nail the other subjects (are you rank 1 in the rest or something?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)