Studying (1 Viewer)

plutonium-238

HSC
How much time should I devote into studying and doing homework? Also, should I study for the subjects that are based on the list of subjects on the school timetable? E.g. if I have chemistry, bio and physics on that day, should I study those subjects only and for how long?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you will find that you will not get a definitive answer for your question, the reason for this is because the answer depends on a lot of factors, such as whether you have a lot of homework, whether you have assessments due and what are their respective percentage weighting and what are the nature of these assessment tasks, how long your concentration span is, which subject you are better at etc... since you should basically study longer for subjects you are performing weaker within. There really is no fixed rule for how much time and what subjects you should study each day-you should decide these details yourself. By constructing a personalised study timetable based on your needs and your learning preferences, you will be able to maximise and achieve your optimal academic potential. Below are extracts from my 'how to ace senior studies guide' on making timetables and how I personally studied during the term which you might find helpful advice to consider.

My top tips on how to STUDY during the school term:
1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

2)I would take a 5-10 minute break for each hour of study, and during that time, I would either re-hydrate myself or procrastinate on the net to relax and refresh myself-time management and planning of each session-whether mentally or on paper is extremely crucial

3)I would write down any questions I found hard or I didn't understand, and I kind of regret the fact I didn't ask these questions the very next day, but basically I would accumulate these questions, say over a period of several weeks, by which I would then ask the teacher in one go or I would try to solve the questions myself

4)I would also try to do practice papers and past HSC exam questions on the topic I was studying for-whether it was chemistry, physics or maths as soon as possible(I.e. when I did my textbook questions as well as other extra ones)

5)I would often set aside the weekend for more intensive studying/practice/reading ahead, but in general, you have to consider whether the homework will be beneficial to your understanding-because sometimes teachers set random homework that wastes time and doesn't add to your understanding, and under these very rare circumstances, I choose not to do it because of the often significant amount of exams/assessments tasks I had to study for-prioritising is everything

But I think the most important element of studying efficiently is to listen in class to what the teacher have to say, because if you understand the content in class, you don't have to waste the time to re-learn the concepts yourself at home.

HOW TO ORGANISE YOUR STUDY TIMETABLE:
I think the best way to make a time table is to make it flexible, whether you have a to-do list by day or organise your day into relaxation and 1 hour long study sessions, do what works for you. There are a few things you should make sure to include in your timetable/to do list to make it effective

1)Always be realistic-don't assign excessive amount of work that you cannot achieved in the designated amount of time you have set aside for yourself

2)Make sure you are flexible-so you can make adjustments to your timetable when extra-curricular and any other unforseen circumstances comes up.

3)Make sure you are studying at times optimal to your concentration and alertness level. Don't assign studying at night if you can't concentrate during that time

4)Include social activities, work commitments, relaxation time into your timetable-a balanced lifestyle is essential for long term academic success

5)Make sure you follow your timetable as closely as possible and try not to have too many carry over tasks to add onto tomorrow's workload. With lots of trial and error, you will find a way of organising time that you will feel comfortable with and which works for you

Hope this helps:)

enoilgam

HSC
Strawberrye has given a pretty comprehensive answer in terms of some ideas as to what you can do. As I've said before, study is about finding what works for you - use year 11 to identify the specific methodologies which will work best for you so you are prepared for year 12. Also, try to make study goal oriented as opposed to time oriented - make a list of things you need to do per night and aim to complete them. Some people say "I want to do X amount of hours tonight", but I find that inefficient because you often end up either rushing through work or wasting time because you cant fill up the hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)