Studying for Bio (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
Hey guys, how do you study for bio?
How do you memorise the content?
Theres so much content, im struggling to remember it all. And also, do we really need to know EVERY single little detail in every dot point or is a brief cover of content required for bio HSC?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yeah there is quite alot of content but memorising is the way to go. Don't try memorising the whole module all in one go, I like to memorise chapter by chapter and I'd get someone to ask me questions everytime I finish a chapter.

Also knowing how much detail is important is entirely upto the notes you use. If you're using for example Ahmad Shah's notes, then you won't be needing every single detail, however usually most notes you'd probably need about 2-3 important sentences out of say 5 sentences.

sharoooooo

HSC
Yeah there is quite alot of content but memorising is the way to go. Don't try memorising the whole module all in one go, I like to memorise chapter by chapter and I'd get someone to ask me questions everytime I finish a chapter.

Also knowing how much detail is important is entirely upto the notes you use. If you're using for example Ahmad Shah's notes, then you won't be needing every single detail, however usually most notes you'd probably need about 2-3 important sentences out of say 5 sentences.
Okay thanks :)
and YES :) Im using Ahmad Shah's notes + Dot Points Textbook

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
do you guys make your own notes or just memorise and simplify someone else's?

Flop21

HSC
I'm memorising the content. However, my memorised content for each dot point won't be a lot. Just the basics. Then if I have time (probably not) I'll try and expand on the stuff I got memorised.

Chris_S

HSC
I try to annotate the syllabus! The points I am struggling with or cannot do without my notes I make them priority!

astab

HSC
N/A
Learning the content is one thing, but once you've covered an entire module, look at past HSC questions. Our syllabus dates back to 2002, so you don't have to worry about exhausting all the past papers before the HSC exam (because there are too many to do). Look at questions relating to the Module. Sometimes, you find that the examiners aim to distinguish those students who memorise notes from those who have a true appreciation of the content. They do this by including a stimulus where you need to piece together content from different topics within the module (sometimes different modules themselves) to apply the theory to a real life situation. You need to get a feel for the exam paper and the way in which questions are presented. Plan your answer using the content you know and compare it to the sample answers/marking criteria. Find lapses - areas that you should've mentioned to score full marks - and you'll soon develop a familiarity with how questions are to be answered. Past questions also signal whether the content you've learned is relevant or not. But only do this after you've learned the content.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Learning the content is one thing, but once you've covered an entire module, look at past HSC questions. Our syllabus dates back to 2002, so you don't have to worry about exhausting all the past papers before the HSC exam (because there are too many to do). Look at questions relating to the Module. Sometimes, you find that the examiners aim to distinguish those students who memorise notes from those who have a true appreciation of the content. They do this by including a stimulus where you need to piece together content from different topics within the module (sometimes different modules themselves) to apply the theory to a real life situation. You need to get a feel for the exam paper and the way in which questions are presented. Plan your answer using the content you know and compare it to the sample answers/marking criteria. Find lapses - areas that you should've mentioned to score full marks - and you'll soon develop a familiarity with how questions are to be answered. Past questions also signal whether the content you've learned is relevant or not. But only do this after you've learned the content.
Wouldn't necessarily call a true appreciation of content; just an ability to adapt your knowledge to curveball Q's.

But the rest of your post, I agree with.

astab

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't necessarily call a true appreciation of content; just an ability to adapt your knowledge to curveball Q's.

But the rest of your post, I agree with.
Yeah I went overboard there haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)