Study through use of Syllabus? (1 Viewer)

Aeyis

HSC
Hi,

Everyone here likes to talk about how writing out questions and notes according to the syllabus dot points a lot but I don't understand how to, is it possible someone can give me an example to explain this method?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Basically like this:

- Have the syllabus dot points next to you
- Have a few notes next to you
- Combine them into your own words and BOOOM!

Aeyis

HSC
Basically like this:

- Have the syllabus dot points next to you
- Have a few notes next to you
- Combine them into your own words and BOOOM!
See this is the part I don't get, would it be like as if the syllabus dot points are the questions?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
See this is the part I don't get, would it be like as if the syllabus dot points are the questions?
Exactly, treat them as questions and as if you are answering them with the help of the notes you have chosen.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although you may not do chemistry and this is a HSC example, but nevertheless-having a scroll through the structure of this study guide will give you a good starting idea how you can structure your notes according to syllabus-you can apply this to any subject that tests your knowledge based on the syllabus and is suitable for making notes (i.e. you can't really make notes according to the maths syllabus format)-http://www.scribd.com/doc/49281194/The-Student-s-Guide-to-HSC-Chemistry#scribd

joyster

HSC
Hey, that's the method i use for my study and i'm currently in y12

so what you do is basically this:
-print out/prepare syllabus and place it on the left side of you (it is important as you need to refer to it constantly. hsc will only ask you questions based upon your syllabus)
-open up your school textbook in front of you
-get a notepad/exercise book/5subject notebook (this is what i usually do, as i divide each topics in the note)
-additionally, refer to other people's dotpoint notes because sometimes it might be handy when you are experiencing difficulty with textbooks

1) read the syllabus dotpoint and understand what you'll need to be paying close attention to
2) read the textbook that contains relevant information of your syllabus <Here, do not try to understand the whole thing at once. read once and then try to highlight key words that are important. then re-read the relevant page and try to understand in depth as you go on>
3) write the heading of the dot point you are referring to, and try to regurgitate the information you've just read in your head
4) jot things down in dot point forms in a seperate piece of paper (this will be your rough guide)
5) refer back to the textbook and see if what you've written down corresponds to the textbook info.
6) write on your notebook etc

repeat this process for each dotpoint

but most importantly, make sure you are doing this every night, after school in order to increase efficiency
this doesn't sound like it would take much time but it really does take a lot of effort and time

good luck

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Make sure their in dotpoints and cover the entire spectrum of the syllabus. Remember the syllabus is the study bible for most subjects (Maths, chem, phys, bio). But then I would not try and write notes for Maths cause doing past papers is more efficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)