Study techniques leading up to HSC (1 Viewer)

nichorowitz

HSC
Hey BOSers, just wondering for subjects like physics and chemistry if it is a good idea or not to not do any past papers and just do all the dot point books and questions from the excel textbooks.
My logic is sure exam papers will give you an idea of what to expect style wise but if you know your syllabus 100% then surely you will still go really well in the HSC?

NSWTutors

HSC
Don't be stupid.

Do hundreds of HSC past papers.
Compare your answers with your friends who do better than you.

Dot points and Excel textbooks are useless.
Edit: They are useless this close to your exams. You should really know your dot points by now.

interesting

HSC
N/A
no you need to be aware of how to answer them and exam techniques

nichorowitz

HSC
I dunno, I just feel like the questions they ask are pretty indicative of papers (I have done probably 15 or so up until this point)
I'm just basing this off the fact that all my study for the trial papers was the dot point book and i got a raw mark of 96% for the CSSA trial

NSWTutors

HSC
I dunno, I just feel like the questions they ask are pretty indicative of papers (I have done probably 15 or so up until this point)
I have been a private tutor for 4 years now.
With over 50 students and thousands of hours mentoring Year 12 kids.

Do the HSC papers.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm just basing this off the fact that all my study for the trial papers was the dot point book and i got a raw mark of 96% for the CSSA trial
That makes no sense whatsoever. The HSC papers aren't a proper indicator of HSC papers?

interesting

HSC
N/A
That makes no sense whatsoever. The HSC papers aren't a proper indicator of HSC papers?
don't know if you did a typo but past HSC papers are an indicator of HSC papers? LOL

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
don't know if you did a typo but past HSC papers are an indicator of HSC papers? LOL
It was a query to nichorowitz. He/she seemed to think that past HSC papers weren't a propert indicator of future HSC papers, and I was questioning such line of thought.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If the aforementioned statement was made by nichorowitz a year from now - I'll understand because of the revised syllabus. But no, past HSC papers are a fairly strong indication of what future ones are like.

nichorowitz

HSC
It was a query to nichorowitz. He/she seemed to think that past HSC papers weren't a propert indicator of future HSC papers, and I was questioning such line of thought.
He
and
No idea where I said anything remotely like that
or if I did, what i tried to say is that I think excel questions and dot point questions are pretty similar to hsc styled questions.

herbs1

HSC
Don't be stupid.

Do hundreds of HSC past papers.
Compare your answers with your friends who do better than you.

Dot points and Excel textbooks are useless.
Edit: They are useless this close to your exams. You should really know your dot points by now.
lol @ hundreds of HSC past papers.

It's called not being a retard and having a life. Let me break it down. Not being a retard involves realising that the hsc is not hard and that like...5 papers per topic is fine. Having a life involves not doing 100 past papers.

nichorowitz

HSC
lol @ hundreds of HSC past papers.

It's called not being a retard and having a life. Let me break it down. Not being a retard involves realising that the hsc is not hard and that like...5 papers per topic is fine. Having a life involves not doing 100 past papers.
I like that way you think.
but probably zero papers for english is the best way to go.

herbs1

HSC
I like that way you think.
but probably zero papers for english is the best way to go.
Just saying...I got 95 last year for 3U maths, thats not amazing for an accelerant, but I did 0 papers. I also got a 93 for 4U last year and a 92 for physics, both with 0 amount of past papers. Not a bad effort considering. Just have some self confidence and intelligence and hsc = easy street.

nichorowitz

HSC
Just saying...I got 95 last year for 3U maths, thats not amazing for an accelerant, but I did 0 papers. I also got a 93 for 4U last year and a 92 for physics, both with 0 amount of past papers. Not a bad effort considering. Just have some self confidence and intelligence and hsc = easy street.
thanks for the reassurance, I always neg before exams and convince myself I will fail but do really well after it. I think I am too much of a perfectionist.

herbs1

HSC
how did you approach the hsc year? constant revising till the hsc date?
I have 6 units that i was accelerated in for hsc, and those were subjects I liked and was good at. So I didn't do anything and just chilled. I did light revision of the crappy dot points (i.e ones you need to memorise in physics, like westinghouse vs edison)

nichorowitz

HSC
I have 6 units that i was accelerated in for hsc, and those were subjects I liked and was good at. So I didn't do anything and just chilled. I did light revision of the crappy dot points (i.e ones you need to memorise in physics, like westinghouse vs edison)
surely copious amounts of work during the year/you are genius?

herbs1

HSC
surely copious amounts of work during the year/you are genius?
hsc isn;t that hard. Simple. To be fair, I would have done better, but I kinda flunked the trials (75% in physics from 3rd to 11th, 82% 4U from 2nd to 5th etc) but generally I just did class work during the year.

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
Does anyone study right of their laptop/computer?

I want to print my notes out but there is ALOT of pages. Studying on the laptop hurts my eyes ><"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)