study hours required for uni? (1 Viewer)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Thats what the majority of the high UAI attainers say, then get to uni and choke.
yeah true. but i know heaps who i know for sure did very little work.

hatty

Banned
so all up. you guys are looking at around 50-60 hours of contact + non-contact study, thats pretty fucked. :)

and santaslayer, ur doing a commerce/law degree, and u only spend 3 hours a week studying ? shit man, how many contact hours u got?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
obvious variables
- university: some unis are known to give higher marks
- units of study: some units are harder than others to obtain certain grades, eg. law
- competition: if you're around people who all got 99+ for a uai, it makes life harder

if you go to a uni which is known to give high marks, has certain easy units for high grades, and the competition isn't crazy, you won't need many hours of study to secure high grades.

if you go a uni which is known to give low marks, hasn't got any easy units for high grades, and the competition is crazy, you're pretty much screwed unless you study till the cows come home.

- i know ppl who are smart, study heaps and have mediocre marks. why? uni give lower grades in general/hard units/crazy competition

- i know ppl who are not-so smart, don't study much and have much better marks. why? uni give high grades in general/not-hard units/minimial competition.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Newcastle is generally regarded as being pretty full on, even someone from USYD was shocked at the toughness of one of my assignments

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Thats what the majority of the high UAI attainers say, then get to uni and choke.
that is cause there is no pressure in uni and people then tend to leave assignments to do in all nighters.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
Newcastle is generally regarded as being pretty full on, even someone from USYD was shocked at the toughness of one of my assignments
haha..good one :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
sad thing is, its true...and I don't generally find them all that difficult!! I bullshit my way through and get reasonable to excellent marks for them. Its queer.
So my theory is the other unis must mark easy.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
if you get 97 like me. what sort of results can i expect?..............id like at least D average for science subjects.
What sort of marks did you get in the HSC for your science subjects?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
sad thing is, its true...and I don't generally find them all that difficult!! I bullshit my way through and get reasonable to excellent marks for them. Its queer.
So my theory is the other unis must mark easy.
WHAT??! I bullshitted in my Psyc report and my tut completely dogged my mark. :(

saves.the.day

HSC
natstar said:
Yeha i live on campus and the computer labs at uni are open 22 hours a day, so u often see people over there at 2am finishing their assignments
hehe I love that. "open 22 hours". Wonder what they do in the other 2 hours its not open. That reminds me of this 23 hour convenient store. My friends and I just assumed that in that other hour they restocked the shelves and cleaned. Random sorta comment.. but getting back to the topic.
jm1234567890 said:
i do around 3-4h a day including weekends. and got all HD

the trick is consistancy.

cramming before a test doesn't work............
I could not agree more!

I got Distinction avg and I studied only in the weeks leading up to the exam which I now know to be a BAD BAD BAD move if you want to do
better than passes in Uni. I dont think you need to study an enormous amount of time - just consistently and from the beginning. This semester I'm going 3 hours a night.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think uni has more pressure in financial terms, and also emotional/physical at times, it is a lot easier to push yourself too far at uni
However, the HSC has greater pressure in terms of competition, expectations from family/peers/teachers, and most people seem to think that if they do badly in the HSC it is the end of the world

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
ummm...isn't it when u r in a uni..u not only competing with ppl within ya uni...but also from other uni and colleages?

jang

is not my real name
HSC
natstar said:
Im so glad my parents dont pressure me. Even in the HSC they just told me to do my best, which i did and they were very pleased with my results.
same heres.. made it a lot easier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)