study hours required for uni? (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
ok

how many hours do u guys study/do homework per day/week for your course? i dont mean the lecture and tute hours btw, just ur own personal shit that u may do at home.

tell us what degree ur doing, and of course, what type of marks ur achieving.

ppl who are failing need not reply ;)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lol they recommand 1 hour of study per contact hour. So there are 23 contact hours, so I meant to be studying 23 hours a week. :D But I study like 1 hour per 3 contact hours. lol which is, of course, a bad thing :(

Distinction Average

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i do around 3-4h a day including weekends. and got all HD

the trick is consistancy.

cramming before a test doesn't work............

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
does contact hours say 3hours mean per week or per day for the lecture and tute? kinda not relate to the question hatty's asking....but can i just post here....:p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
does contact hours say 3hours mean per week or per day for the lecture and tute? kinda not relate to the question hatty's asking....but can i just post here....:p
usually people refers to the number of contact hours per week. So if you do 24 units of credit, then your contact hours (including lectures, tut and/or labs) would be around 20 to 25 hours. Therefore, they suggest you to study one hour for every contact hour, hence 20 to 25 hours a week of studying by yourself.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
if you plan to just pass your stuff you can do nothing (apart from compulsory assignments) up to stuvac

i'd say from this thread so far we can conclude hours studied outside of class has a high correlation with final marks

magician

HSC
So, generally, is it more or less work than the HSC? Or is it just relative to how much you personally need to do to achieve what you want?

Just curious : )

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
of course it's relative. Even in the HSC it is relative. How much you want to study is up to you.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
5 subjects: 3HDs, dist. and a cr.

5-10hrs wk avg, many more hours though when assignment deadlines, major works or tests were approaching :)

had about 20+ contact hrs per week

so probably should have consistently been doing 20hrs out of class per week on top of classtime.

but with part-time work as well that's almost a 50 hr week - you soon get to love the weekend!

that is, if it's not first swallowed up by assessments

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
natstar said:
Isent it great when you have an assignment due for every subject all in the same week...not
yeh that's stressful

or when you *stupidly* leave a huge task to a few days before its due.. then literally have no life until its done ... and you just get it in on time!

what an adrenalin rush that is! :) it's even better when you get really good marks for those sort of assessments.

but it gets funny when virtually the whole class is in the same boat - you get to have group all-nighters in the dorm's computer lab, where chocolate and caffeinated beverages rule!

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
natstar said:
Yeha i live on campus and the computer labs at uni are open 22 hours a day, so u often see people over there at 2am finishing their assignments
thast me at home.. In highschool I had 4 majors and I was on the pute till like 2am

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i only had one major which wasnt externally marked and that was enough ... ext history.
So in general opinion--to get credit average is it harder or the same as hsc?

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
somone said....doing the final uni exam is just like the HSC...scary~~hehe~~~
so apart from say 20-25hours of uni....another 20-25hours of self study....which is like 3days per week..generally speaking~~~Kool

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
if you get 97 like me. what sort of results can i expect?..............id like at least D average for science subjects.

doe

HSC
N/A
i was doing computing, i had about 20 hours contact time and did about 30 hours non contact time. luke theres too many variables, just work hard consistently throughout the semester and you should do well.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
if you get 97 like me. what sort of results can i expect?..............id like at least D average for science subjects.
HSC results/UAI often have little/no positive correlation with uni results.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
HSC results/UAI often have little/no positive correlation with uni results.
but it can though. i hardly busted my guts during the hsc. im an independant worker. and i love science. i guess i shud do well. just need to balance my time well and all shud be fine

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
but it can though. i hardly busted my guts during the hsc. im an independant worker. and i love science. i guess i shud do well. just need to balance my time well and all shud be fine
Thats what the majority of the high UAI attainers say, then get to uni and choke.

santaslayer

HSC
The only correlation in results relate to effort....

High level of effort in HSC= Higher possibility of similar (or more) effort during uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)