Study guides for English? (1 Viewer)

suling

HSC
I was going to get one for 'Romulus, My Father' but I'm not sure if it would just be a waste of money.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Some people like buying the Top Notes guides. But to be honest, I thought they were crap. If you -really- wanted to buy something, I suppose the Barbara Stanners Advanced English book is really good, but it's like $70. The notes are quite comprehensive, though.

So yeah, you don't really -need- any study guides. Just your mind and the texts themselves are more than enough.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Some people like buying the Top Notes guides. But to be honest, I thought they were crap. If you -really- wanted to buy something, I suppose the Barbara Stanners Advanced English book is really good, but it's like $70. The notes are quite comprehensive, though.

So yeah, you don't really -need- any study guides. Just your mind and the texts themselves are more than enough.
I'd have to agree with this by just being given study guides and notes from teachers and friends. Some of the notes are decent and have given me some good ideas for essays and creative writing, but are certainly not necessary (more, time saving).

I recommend against English study guides that you need to purchase, personally.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
The internet can be useful, but it depends on your texts I guess. Though we got heaps of resources from school, which helped heaps, so ask you teacher what they recomend.

edit: I just realised that telling people to use the net is stating the bleeding obvious, but still, some people don't realise the potential past facebook.

Dora Explorer

HSC
In terms of study guides, I think its better if you formulate your own interpretation of the text.
And then to broaden your understanding, take a look at some study guides; some are crap and unworthy, cos they have totally diff interpretations of the text, others are quite good, and Stanners is quite brilliant.

But dont get caught up in study guides; they're prolly only good for other ideas you hadnt thought of or simply putting your ideas into words!

suling

HSC
The main reason I would get one is to have a convenient summary of the text and some general notes as we don't get many in class.
However, I wouldn't rely on it for essays and such, I would rather formulate my own bullshit. :D
On a more serious note, I find actually sitting down and working out the concepts in the text and the techniques used helps me actually engage with the text better and therefore remember stuff..although it is a bloody pain in the ass.

Kaatie

HSC
in year 11 i didnt buy any and i was 17th, bought a shitload and was 1st in year 12. personal opinion though, but its agreed that top notes are shit, i used them for basic ideas i hadnt thought of and elaborated them a SHITLOAD so that by the end the concept was barely similar to the original top notes one, but hey gives the ideas :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure there'd be other factors, ie - you decided to work harder. You cannot thank study guides for your excellent results. :p

watsthebuzz

HSC
Are they worth it?
They usually are, even though teachers will tell you everyone buys them and so when it comes to the HSC, markers will have read 100s of essays like yours.
As long as you incorporate of few of the study guides ideas along with your own, then they can help make a great essay.

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: Study guides for English?

there is one new english guide book by excel, is that any good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)