• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study game: Indochina (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well... I don't really feel like studying, so I had an idea for a collective group type study game.

How it works is the first person asks a question, and the next person has to answer it and then ask the next question. This one will be on stuff in the Indochina syllabus.

e.g.
poster 1: Who ruled South Vietnam between 1954 and 1964?

poster 2: Ngo Dinh Diem. When did the first US marines arrive in Vietnam?

So yeah let's try this out and see if we can keep it going...

So that's the first question: When did the first US marines arrive in Vietnam?

s2ophie

HSC
8th March 1965

What date was Diem and Nhu assassinated and where?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
1st November 1964 in a Catholic Church in Cholon (the Chinese sector of Saigon)

What were strategic hamlets?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by 0o0
didnt the Americans arrive sometime in the 50s?
The first marines arrived in 1965, however military advisors were sent in the late 1950's.

Lolliana

Strategic hamlets were the product of a policy of containment. They began under Nhu as 'Agro Villes' however, with the increase of American involvement (under Kennedy) the program was given further funding (and a name change). Peasants, were taken (some voluntarily some forcefully) from their ancestral land and herded into heavily fortified 'hamlets'. The program was largely unsucsessful as it did not achieve its objectives of isolating Viet Cong or drawing support for RVN.

My Q,
Who were the main representatives of China, USSR, France at the Geneva Conference in 54?

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
China- Zhou Enlai
USSR- Vyachestav Molotov
France- Mendes-France ( can't remember first name)

My Q- What was the NLF and what was its purpose? that's piss easy but what you gunna do.

P.S Lolliana u have the same birthday as me-HOLY SHITBALLS BATMAN

HSC
just a question... in terms of strategies etc in vietnam, would you credit those the southern govt was involved in (such as strategic hamlets, etc) to the south, the us, or both? can those used by america/the south individually or in conjunction with one another against the north be attributed to both? so confused...

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
i think u talk about it in terms of both. however sometimes i just slip into talking about it in terms of the US. i dont think it really matters as long as for some u mention that they were the tactics of the US and ARVN troops.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
What was the NLF and what was its purpose?

NLF- national liberation front. United groups that opposed Diem (termed Viet Cong by Diem and US). Purpose was to achieve reunification of Vietnam.

What were the three main things that Nixon did under his Vietnamization strategy?

s2ophie

HSC
Bombing, Vietnamisation, Peace Negotiations

Which groups were persecuted under Khmer Rouge rule?

meh

intellectuals
buddhust monks
rich land owners
anyone with above yr 3 level education lol

thats all I can remember for today and thought I might bar in on ur game :p

ok my question has two parts hehe

Why was the Khmer Rouge allowed to take power and what were the fundamentals upon which Khmer Rouge ideology was based?

Lolliana

There were economic and political factors that allowed the KR to wrest power from Lon Nol in 1975.

As a result of Operation Menu (69) many peasants were left homeless and destitue. The destruction of fertile rice paddies, also placed additional burden on an already unstable economy. These displaced peasants often turned towards the KR, for help and support, in return the KR created a strong rural support base. As historians Kahin and Lewis highlight in 'The United States in Vietnam' communist take overs in Asia, are not the result of "suversive activities directed from China or the USSR" but rather due to "locally generated, economic and social factors."

Many peasants supoorted the kR, also because Former President (56-70) Norodom Sihanouk, joined the rebel group in an effort to retain power. However, revistionist historian/journalist Michael Lind in 'Vietnam the necessary War' cites a document from the CCAS (committee of concerned Asian Scholars, of which Noam CHomsky was a member) that entailed Lon Nol's power was limited to the main cities, and that his governments collapse was inevitable, and not brought on by the spread of war.

The Khmer Rouge ideology was based on a desire to return Kampuchea to the glory days of Ankor Wat. Pol Pot intitiated a radical agrarian revolution, that brought back Cambodia to 'Year zero'. It was founded on communist ideology, Pol Pot picked up while in China...i think

... can anyone tell me if the way i included historiography was ok?

My Q

What (as in tactics, strategies etc) did America and ARVN throuought 64-79?

Last edited:

craz

HSC
good idea Ash! i like it already. tactics and strategies by ARVN and USA included
search and destroy
bombing i.e. like bombing campaigns by Nixon in the 1970's.
Agroville was another...
Vietnamisation
(i think that's a bit vague so ill brush up on it
;)
my question:
What was the significance of the Tet Offensive? and where and when did it happen?

TastesGoodBut

bah sum1 posted mefore i did

significance of tet - tired americans out despite them winning on military terms
homefront saw america as losing because opf what the media reported
basically saw the end of americas campaigne

Name the guerilla tactics of the VC

edit 2: and it began early in 1968 and i dun really know when it ended... i never mention dates precisely in my essasy

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Guerilla tactics of VC

-using the jungle to hide
-rapid attacks
-booby traps
-Cu Chi Tunnels (I've been there... they are just FREAKY!! amazing how they lived there)
-infiltration of strategic hamlets to gain support
-Use of the Ho Chi Minh trail for supplies
-Assasinations of Diem-appointed village leaders

That's all I can think of right now.

What were some of the influences on America's decision to withdraw from Indochina?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
and it began early in 1968 and i dun really know when it ended... i never mention dates precisely in my essasy
Well it depended... I think the conflict in Hue went on for about a month, but in other places the VC had to give up sooner.

TastesGoodBut

influences on americas decision

Main one would have been non-poopular support at home
the fact the sholdiers had lost willpower due to the length of war

thats about all

Quote a historian on.... the gulf of tonkin incident:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)