• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Re: Typed or Written Study notes?

mckensara said:
you kid, yet have a very good point! haha

well about 95 just to keep my options open for arts
my dream course would be a bach of arts and psychology which is 98.5
so... a little out of my reach i think
i can hope though!

how about you? :)
nice nice.

hmm about 95 for BComm or something similar at USyd or UNSW. but it changes a lot ha. but thats about the mark i'm going for in general.

mckensara

HSC

gibbo153 said:
nice nice.

hmm about 95 for BComm or something similar at USyd or UNSW. but it changes a lot ha. but thats about the mark i'm going for in general.
Ah, sounds good.
All the best with that :)

Going to be a fun year
*sigh*

xMrRand0m

HSC

mckensara said:
Ah, sounds good.
All the best with that :)

Going to be a fun year
*sigh*
I so wish it to be a fun year. This year's probably going to be the most UN-fun year I've had in my life so far. But isn't there a saying that goes "you must get through hell to get to heaven"? That quote tends to motivate me at times =D

mckensara

HSC

xMrRand0m said:
I so wish it to be a fun year. This year's probably going to be the most UN-fun year I've had in my life so far. But isn't there a saying that goes "you must get through hell to get to heaven"? That quote tends to motivate me at times =D
i think im going to stick that up around my room...

this holiday is some massive let down i have to say
in the back of my mind its like
'dooo you worrk" :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

xMrRand0m said:
I love that quote.

I guess you are right. You don't deserve anything until you try.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: would like advice and help

MrDimple said:
anyone got any advice?
Use the search function and you will be able to find great numbers of threads realted to study tips.

MrDimple

HSC

ok thanks, but i would like some opinions is it enough time to change my test result and probably get a uai of 80 is that possible?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

Pace yourself when it comes to studying. A few weeks before an in-class test, study a little bit each day and then on the day before the test study quite hard.
NEVER EVER go over notes ten minutes before a test because that just makes you nervous and you'll freak out and all your information will be jumbled.
It's also good just to revise notes in class every now and then.
With general maths you get a formula sheet during tests so there's no need for memorising formulae (you only need to know how to use a formula). It's best just to do the homework set in class, and maybe do a chapter review or something the day before a test.
Have colour-coded notes on post-it notes placed around your desk and house just to refresh your memory every now and then.
The best way to study for English is to just read. Know your texts, know quotes and techniques and everything. I've actually got a glossary of techniques in English which is really useful.

All in all, a UAI of 80 is definitely possible if you work diligently.

I hope that helps.

MrDimple

HSC

thank you very much with the help :D appreciate it, i feel like i can do it =] got a whole year left to study everyday :D:D

terminator69

HSC

I've been really confused about making study notes. eg. in biology we recieved an activity booklet at the start of year 12 and I have just summarised that into 7 A4 pages all doubled sided. A lot of the time I found myself copying out whole paragraphs instead of summarising them. Now i just look at it and am not sure if it was worth the effect because if I have copied too much out without summarising, it would probably be better to just study the booklet that I got in the first place.

In IPT and SDD we focused on a chapter from each of the textbooks throughout the term and didn't do much inclass note taking, do you think it would it be worth my time to do what I did for biology and summarise each of the chapters?

I've never really learnt how to make study notes so I'm not sure what is most effective.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

terminator69 said:
I've been really confused about making study notes. eg. in biology we recieved an activity booklet at the start of year 12 and I have just summarised that into 7 A4 pages all doubled sided. A lot of the time I found myself copying out whole paragraphs instead of summarising them. Now i just look at it and am not sure if it was worth the effect because if I have copied too much out without summarising, it would probably be better to just study the booklet that I got in the first place.

In IPT and SDD we focused on a chapter from each of the textbooks throughout the term and didn't do much inclass note taking, do you think it would it be worth my time to do what I did for biology and summarise each of the chapters?

I've never really learnt how to make study notes so I'm not sure what is most effective.
yeah, same as me, i sometimes tend to just copy out the textbook because i dont want to miss out anything and its better than what i can write :) lol..

just make sure u cover all the dot points in ur notes and u shud be fine though, better more than less

MrDimple

HSC

really curious, is using other people study notes posted on BOS good to study off or better to make your own notes?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC

MrDimple said:
really curious, is using other people study notes posted on BOS good to study off or better to make your own notes?
You won't learn as well unless you make your own.

92LUCAS

Caught in a bad romance.
HSC
Study Timetables.

Well I've been doing some reading (HSC Experience 09 =P) and evry1 seems to have study timetables.

I've never made them, I've just gone with the flow and studied when all my homework was done.

So I was wondering what a study timetable looks like and how do u set it out?

Some example documents would be great :)

MrDimple

HSC

Deltan said:
You won't learn as well unless you make your own.
i see cud i use ppl's study guides as a reference? to see whether i will be on the right track.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol, you dont' need to make notes. I for one didn't make any notes whatsoever for religion and business studies last year. I still topped them with 96%+

But this year is def different, so I am make notes...haha

In all seriousness, it's sometimes okay to rely on someone's notes given that his/her is decent.

lionking1191

HSC
lyounamu said:
lol, you dont' need to make notes. I for one didn't make any notes whatsoever for religion and business studies last year. I still topped them with 96%+

But this year is def different, so I am make notes...haha

In all seriousness, it's sometimes okay to rely on someone's notes given that his/her is decent.
yeah if you are going to use other people's notes make sure you have the ability to judge its quality, strength and weaknesses.

for economics last year i gave up making notes about 3 chapters into the course as i found it to be a waste of time.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i'm basically rewriting someone elses notes with the help of a textbook, and changing it to how i like it. but i'm not sure if its gonna help but i'm sorta learning at the same time anyway, so it cant be too bad.

i think using someone elses notes is okay, just make sure u know it well and u can answer questions with no problem and thats fine

4theHSC

HSC
Memorise, understand, practice

So how do you guys do it? What is your preparation for exams like? Do you memorise your notes? understand them? or just keep on reading them over and over again? Get maths out of the equation because we all know its practice... Other subjects, what do you do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)