Stnd English kills UAI?? (1 Viewer)

beccawood

HSC
topdeck said:
Our teacher told us the highest mark you can get in standard english is 89, i.e. it is not possible to get a band six, because the course is capped.
exactly. no band 6's are awarded in standard english. if engineering doesnt require u do advanced, then dont worry about it.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
beccawood said:
exactly. no band 6's are awarded in standard english. if engineering doesnt require u do advanced, then dont worry about it.
lol hi Bec!

But I think some people who do Standard do get Band 6s, it's just a lot harder than in Advanced.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
over9k said:
just do your best
^ yeah.

I mean is there anything really that you can do about it ? Isn't it a bit too late to pick up advanced and you can't drop. Just do what over9k suggested.

[/thread]

beccawood

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
lol hi Bec!

But I think some people who do Standard do get Band 6s, it's just a lot harder than in Advanced.
hey brick

but ms bourke totally said that!!!

i feel so let down by her lol

ellen.louise

HSC
wasupdog said:
HAHAAHHA my HSC year 12 was the best.........she spoon fed us aswell......quotes, techniqies, analysis everything
Mcnaughton any chance?

My advanced teacher does to, but she makes us work hard too.

McNaught just reads to us and we sit there and ask if we can play a game, play charades with "The Big Sleep," and can she do our summaries for us? Answer always no, result always yes. :)

Beege

HSC
Something is strange at my school. My english teacher said she was very impressed with my into the world essay plus some other teachers read it as well and they liked it too. But I ended up only getting 63.5% for it. I was kinda expecting like 80-83% to be honest, bummer. My marks (not ranks cauz they are too lazy to give them to us) so far:

Journeys - 9.5/15 (High band 4 according to guidelines)

Image - 9/15 (High band 4 according to guidelines)

We All Fall Down - 7/15 - lol it was a hard and shit question, too specific and not broad enough 'Discuss the ending of we all fall down' How the fuck am I meant to write 4 pages without storytelling on just that? (Low band 4 according to guidelines)

Into The World - 9.5/15 (High band 4 according to guidelines)

I have my english trial in under 2 weeks oh no! then a speech 2 weeks after it!

Last edited:

..::Cal::..

HSC
If you are doing standard like I am and you think that maybe that standard is a little too easy, then you are best to change to advance because they allow for a higher line of mistake because of the difficulty.

david d 69

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
FFS

the scaling of standard and advanced english always have been, and always will be, fixed together. they're always the same.

furthermore, getting a band 6 in standard english is easier than getting a band 6 in advanced english because the course is easier

it is simply because anyone who has any talent in english always does advanced, that the marks in standard are always very poor

therefore standard english does not kill your uai at all, it's just that people doing standard english are usually very dumb and don't get good uais.

if you're very good at english you could get 99 in standard... it's just that you're almost certain to be doing advanced because you're so good at english

make sense?
right on the money

funny you should know this if ur hsc is in 2010 :S

i say do advanced unless youre bad, it will probably work out better.
one of the best things u should do is talk to teachers who have read your essays and have marked hsc, chances are they can give the best advice. people over forums dont have an accurate assesment of your ability. imho, advanced isnt actually that hard, not sure how much harder it is standard but i cant imagine it being much really. if you practise, get feedback from teachers, write at length, quotes, details, techniques, nice expression, you should do well.
dont be afraid of going to advanced

whoo1029384756

HSC
hey apparently like only the top 1% of the standard eng course gets band 6. and band 5 is just a bit more. thats what my english teacher told me. so mayby stnd. eng will bring ur uai down a little. but if ur good enough, its better to do adv. eng.

zy

HSC
i heard less than 1000 people get band 5 in standard, is that true?

zy

HSC
Forbidden. said:
about 700 people in 2005 got Band 5 in English Standard.
that sucks.. do you know (on average) how many people get band 5's in advanced?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)