Stnd English kills UAI?? (1 Viewer)

lost1

HSC
Heloo
well im currently taking these subjects and hopeign to get these results for HSC:

Standard English-------------~80/100 (hopefully)
Mathematics-------------------~90/100
Mathamatics Ext.1 -----------~40/50
Physics--------------------------75+/100
IPT------------------------------ 85+/100
IT Vet---------------------------85+/100
SLR (1 unit subject)

All my mates doing adv. English are always tellin me that Stnd English is going to kill my UAI and the B cource IT Vet is just going to make it worse...
What do UAI do u guys think ill be getting with these results...and by the way im tring to go into the architecture/interior design area in UNI...

Zephyrio

HSC
Hey.

It depends on how good you are at English. If you are good, and you're doing really well in standard, then maybe doing advanced is best. However, if you are not great at English and you choose to do advance because it apparently "scales" better, then it will be best off sticking to standard. Because if you stick to standard, an 80/100 in that will be far more beneficial than a 60/100 in advanced. Hope that helps.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I heard apparently that its harder to get Band 6 in Std than Adv, but meh.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
80 for standard english is considered to be an excellent mark...thats placed you in the top 2% of the state
i would say if you those marks like you say you will, youll probably get around 85 UAI

lost1

HSC
well i tried sam and i get 84.20 but for some reason at the bottom it says:

Congratulations on completing your HSC!
Discuss your results in the Class of 2006 forum.

wtf...

i also tried this UAI Burninator i downloaded from this forum which is based on the 2003 results or watever and i get 90.5 UAI.....danm, wouldnt mind getting that...

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Your subjects are kiiinda similar to mine.

Band 6 for Standard Eng is near imposible, apparently. And Band 5 for Standard Eng is also near impossible. :p

I think it's going to kill my (and yours) UAI unless we do ridiculously well for our other subjects.

And woooo at architecture :)

lost1

HSC
Faytle said:
And Band 5 for Standard Eng is also near impossible. :p
U serious..i knew band 6 was near impossible but band 5 aswell??

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
lost1 said:
U serious..i knew band 6 was near impossible but band 5 aswell??
Well it depends how you interpret "near impossible" :p, but from what I've heard and read, seems like it's pretty damn hard to get it. Like jemsta said, only 2% in the state achieve > Band 5.

:confused:

ellen.louise

HSC
I don't think standard and advanced actually scale that differently any more. up to the point where my school is offering standard now anyway. But if you are up the top of standard and capable of doing advanced, you should do advanced. It still goes better. but no it will not fuck up your UAI as much as getting 50% in advanced will.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
FFS

the scaling of standard and advanced english always have been, and always will be, fixed together. they're always the same.

furthermore, getting a band 6 in standard english is easier than getting a band 6 in advanced english because the course is easier

it is simply because anyone who has any talent in english always does advanced, that the marks in standard are always very poor

therefore standard english does not kill your uai at all, it's just that people doing standard english are usually very dumb and don't get good uais.

if you're very good at english you could get 99 in standard... it's just that you're almost certain to be doing advanced because you're so good at english

make sense?

lost1

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
FFS

furthermore, getting a band 6 in standard english is easier than getting a band 6 in advanced english because the course is easier

it is simply because anyone who has any talent in english always does advanced, that the marks in standard are always very poor
This is exactly what i thought and is even the reason why im doing standard...can anyone else confirm this and that it is in fact due to the limiting capacity of most of the standard grade students thats causing the low 2%>band 5, etc...:confused:

jessal

HSC
my english teacher told me that standard classes arent provided with the necessary information to reach a band 6 mark.

ellen.louise

HSC
jessal said:
my english teacher told me that standard classes arent provided with the necessary information to reach a band 6 mark.
That's bullshit. It's up to the student to get the info if they don't get it in class. It's not like Extension english: you can't always get spoonfed (well we do anyway. literally)

What do they want? a list of quotes and techniques in each of their texts? It's perfectly possible to analyse a text on your own, and you can get all the info from the net anyway. even if you teacher sucks you can still get band 6.

jessal

HSC
ellen.louise said:
That's bullshit. It's up to the student to get the info if they don't get it in class. It's not like Extension english: you can't always get spoonfed (well we do anyway. literally)

What do they want? a list of quotes and techniques in each of their texts? It's perfectly possible to analyse a text on your own, and you can get all the info from the net anyway. even if you teacher sucks you can still get band 6.
well my teacher does suck. and i assumed it were possible.
shes not very encouraging. lol

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
jemsta said:
80 for standard english is considered to be an excellent mark...thats placed you in the top 2% of the state
i would say if you those marks like you say you will, youll probably get around 85 UAI
700 people got at least a Band 5 in 2005 therefore there was 35,000 students taking Standard English in 2005 HSC.

wasupdog

HSC
Faytle said:
Your subjects are kiiinda similar to mine.

Band 6 for Standard Eng is near imposible, apparently. And Band 5 for Standard Eng is also near impossible. :p

I think it's going to kill my (and yours) UAI unless we do ridiculously well for our other subjects.

band 5 isnt impossible....coz i got 81........ its not that hard, i started studying after trials, and in std the question is the same shit u do all year...... what i did was .. make a perfect essay for each module............as in get it checked from teachers until its a 20/20..... learn it off by heart...... (took me 9 hours per essay)... and just write it in the final exam...... only down side is you gotta mould it to suit the question...........and the way i did that was by where ever i refered back to the question in my essay that i learnt off by heart, i just refered back to the HSC exam questioN!

GL mate...

ellen.louise said:

HAHAAHHA my HSC year 12 was the best.........she spoon fed us aswell......quotes, techniqies, analysis everything

Last edited by a moderator:

topdeck

HSC
Our teacher told us the highest mark you can get in standard english is 89, i.e. it is not possible to get a band six, because the course is capped. That being said, standard and advanced scale exactly the same.

astrolio

Shifty Member
HSC
well i hope a band 5 in advanced english isnt as impossible as band 5 in standard english. lol, that'd be a nitemare :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)