Stephen King (1 Viewer)

sub

hahaha, on king's movies...IT sucks...do NOT watch the movie, the book is much better :)
thaat movie wasa bloody travesty...:vcross:

GromReaper

HSC
jhakka said:
I've heard that Dean Koonz (I'm not 100% sure on the surname. I will let you know if I was incorrect, and post the right name when I find out)
Koontz.

sub said:
hahaha, on king's movies...IT sucks...do NOT watch the movie, the book is much better :)
thaat movie wasa bloody travesty...:vcross:
Finally, someone who agrees! I hear people say "that movie was SOOO scary" and I just want to smack them. Hard. They left out too much stuff from the book and the acting was so lame.

And Dreamcatcher was even worse. *Shudder.*

sub

hahaha, too true...fuking soooo bad.

why they made them was beyond me...i havent seen dreamcatcher but ppl sed it was shit, and i saw IT two days b4...so i sorta took their word. i think stephen king should stick to writing books, unless someone can make decent movies come along...

J

jhakka

GromReaper said:
Cheers, mate. :)

IT was a shocking movie, but a good book. Dreamcatcher had a few good one liners and I enjoyed it for entertainment value, though the story didn't overly impress me. The books are always better.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
the one and only stephen king book that i read was desperation and i thought it was pretty scary for a book... i dont usually jump at things i am READING ! but it wsa a good book. he acheived his purpose

J

jhakka

I'm currently reading Cujo, and I'll read Firestarter after that.

Auto Wah

SpoRTsGaL said:
okay, I finished "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" two days ago. It had a really crappy ending. Actually, it was a crap book.
it sure is, not all Stephen King's books are good, I tried to read "The Girl who loved tom gordon" but i gave up at page 83, couldn't handle how boring the book is. About how she got lost and she likes baseball, red sox. Hate that book.

mack

Banned
HSC
I thought there was something in the woods following her? Havent read the book myself. Dreamcatcher was really good though.

J

jhakka

Currently reading Firestarter. Some of King's books are tough to get into at the start.

Cujo was really good, though.

HSC
I've read:
Carrie
The Stand
It
Hearts In Atlantis
The Gunslinger
The Drawing Of The Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard And Glass

"It" and "Hearts in Atlantis" are my favourites. The first story of "Hearts in Atlantis" is the best novella I've ever read, I think.

spiny norman

HSC
I'm not particularly a fan of King's "horror" novels. Aside from Carrie and The Shining in particular, I find a lot of them to be silly and too far-fetched (incidentally they're his only two "horror" movies that were decent).

I much prefer his more dramatic novels, and actually often use the fact that he wrote the stories that The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and The Green Mile are based on to convince people he can be worthwhile to read.

I'd say The Stand is the best by far, followed by The Green Mile purely because it was his first that I read, as I went through the books as they were released and got very much into all the twists and turns that occured as it unravelled.

On Writing was also a great book, I found.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
god, dont hate me for bringing this back from the dead...only just realised and now im here i may as well keep going.

Has anyone read "four past midnight"? I have it sitting there and it seems good, but im reluctant to scare myelf before i go to sleep =P

Spacey

HSC
I read Four Past Midnight back in Year 6 or so, I thought only one of the stories was really worth it - The Langoliers.

It's not scary though, I don't think any of his books really are (but I've only read Firestarter)

donkeydrop

HSC
Back in the old days, when i used to love books. I read Pet Cemetary and Salems Lot. I especially enjoyed Pet Cemetary

In regards to Sales Lot, i would love to watch the TV Series:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355987/

p.s. since starting my dull business/law degree, the passion for reading books died. let me know if its worth reading King's new book

Thank you,

Rinni

HSC
I love Stephen King.
My fav books are - the Green Mile
- Thinner
- Delores Claiborne
Other authors i'd suggest if you like Stephen King are Dean Koontz he's not always a supernatural as Stephen King. And for the gore factor Wilbur Smith. :)

Rinni

HSC
spiny norman said:
I'm not particularly a fan of King's "horror" novels. Aside from Carrie and The Shining in particular, I find a lot of them to be silly and too far-fetched (incidentally they're his only two "horror" movies that were decent).
Just read that and i beg to disagree with you. His best movie (in my eyes) is Rose Red, which is in fact a horror. When he wrote this screen play his aim was to write the scariest movie ever. If you haven't seen it i suggest you watch it :)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
My first book of Stephen King was Insomnia, and it was real bad, totally bored me to death. Not as engaging as his other novels. I really liked Pet Cemetary and Misery, hope to read some of the people here suggested.

Shaking Paper

HSC
I though Rose Red was incredibly boring. Though I really liked the idea of the house growing. (I think that happens anyway, it's been a long time since I saw it)

I own:
The Dead Zone
It
Needful Things
On Writing
The Shining
Salems' Lot

But never finished Needful Things or The Dead Zone, just found them too boring. I don't think King is a great writer, it's just kind of pulpy silly things to read, I prefer Lovecraft (not that i've read much).
Been meaning to find a copy of The Regulators and Cujo.
Oh, I also like how some places/characters overlap over some books, even if it feels more like a sci-fi thing it's pretty cool.

I've just been looking up The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and it sounds pretty good to me. So what's wrong with it besides maybe starting a little slow?

Last edited:

Rinni

HSC
Alot of King's books are set in his home state of Maine, I love how this gives his books an overlaping theme. Yeah the house grows in Rose Red. Did you watch it all in one go?? It was originally filmed as a mini series so it can seem a bit long and boring. Try watching it in seperate lots it might make it more interesting. It's the same as reading the Green Mile, I'd suggest reading it as it was originally printed it adds to the suspense.:)

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
If you ask me, King's short stories are much better than his novels. Kudos particularly for:

Dolan's Cadillac - a brilliant story of one deranged man and his genius plan for to avenge his dead wife. The sheer mediocrity of the man's normal life is entertaining contrasted with that of the oblivious villain's life.

The Jaunt - science fiction! Specifically, it's about a teleportation technology, and the horrific side effects for the unfortunate.

1408 - the only King story to genuinely freak me the fuck out. It's about a haunted hotel room, and the massive build-up to the entrance and the protagonist's skepticism only serves to make the story that much more of a mind-fuck.

As for his novels, I would certainly recommend The Stand and The Shining. For reasons previously stated, of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)