Stephen King (2 Viewers)

Auto Wah

My friend's got me into Stephen King and i'm so absorbed into "the dark tower" series. I recommend anyone without a faint heart to read it. He's description of lust, hatred, jealousy, domination is very well mapped. I'm currently reading "Wizard and Glass" of the dark towers series.

You'll find Stephen King's Books have the same adventurous imagination as J.R.R Tolkien's Lord Of the Rings but with more aggression and things other writers try to avoid when writing. His books are honest and more or less unique.

in a nutshell, you'll be betraying yourself if you don't pick up a few copies of his books at the library or a bookstore.

you are welcomed to discuss on it if you heard of Stephen King or liked his books.

J

jhakka

I have nine (I think) of his books, and he does have a very engaging writing style.

Check out:
-The Stand
-It
-Pet Sematary
-Christine
-'Salem's Lot
-Carrie
-Dreamcatcher
-The Dead Zone

astro

HSC
i've only read one of Stephen King's books: Carrie.....that book gave me nightmares...

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Stephen King is very awesome. I think the thing I love most about him is his very convincing baddies. My favourites are Insomnia, Dark Tower etc, IT, and the extended version of The Stand. They're all good, and don't forget to check out Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman. It's all pretty good stuff.,

J

jhakka

Randal Flagg from The Stand is the coolest baddie. He's so evil and people are terrified of him... and he doesn't even do anything.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
the only two i've read in recent years are carrie and insomnia.

Auto Wah

Yeah, he and David Gemmel expanded my imagination and creativity. I like it how Stephen King in all his books mentions how one observe and read another's expression. I think in real life that is important, to try and understand or estimate the thoughts of other people.

J

jhakka

David Gemmell is a brilliant author. Have you read his Rigante series?

Auto Wah

jhakka said:
David Gemmell is a brilliant author. Have you read his Rigante series?
i read all of them, love the Rigante series and the Legend of the Waylander series.

J

jhakka

I've only read the Rigante series, but I wouldn't mind reading more. I'll have to get my hands on some sometime.

GromReaper

HSC
*Bumps up the 3 month old topic rather than creating a new one.*

The Dark Tower series is truly awesome...I've got about 80 pages left in the last book, and can't wait to find out how it ends.

The thing I like about King's writing (apart from the gore, of course ;)) is that he's not overly complex, or childishly simple about what he writes. Plus, the characters are (to me, at least) believable and work greatly with the situations.

The books I've read are...
'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Different Seasons
Pet Sematary
It
Misery
Four Past Midnight
Insomnia
Rose Madder
Desperation
Bag Of Bones
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts In Atlantis
Dreamcatcher
Everything's Eventual
From a Buick 8
DT1 - The Gunslinger
DT2 - The Drawing Of The Three
DT3 - The Waste Lands
DT4 - Wizard And Glass
DT5 - Wolves of the Calla
DT6 - Song of Susannah
DT7 - The Dark Tower

Kirsti

HSC
I haven't read the dark tower series yet. I sort of turned off King and got onto Anne Rice a while back.
Out of King's though I've read

Carrie
The Shining
It
Thinner
Desperation
Christine
The Stand (and the extended version)
Green Mile
Salem's Lot
Pet Sematary

umm... probably something else too...
I started reading Gerald's Game but my father saw me and stole it away :( I couldn't be bothered to go downstairs and get it again

My personal favorites are The Stand and It. Carrie really did nothing for me. Desperation and Thinner were pretty forgettable. Actually, even though it's one of the more well known ones, I can't for the life of me remember anything about Salem's Lot either. Green Mile is good but it's a different style to the rest of his books and doesn't really fit into the same category.

Sasky

HSC
I love Anne Rice...

Stephen King is awesome. I always take them on holidays. Need one after the HSC.

Burrowing books from the library doesnt cost anything (unless u have overdue fees) or if u want to buy them I pick up books at Vinnies - get any book from 50c to $2 each!!!

sub

hey is carrie any good? i read his other stuff, and they're really not that bad, but neither are they scary. u kno any book that is absolutely shit scary?

J

jhakka

Pet Sematary was scary because it plays with your mind.

King isn't shit-scary. He prefers to be more subtle.

With Carrie, there was more violence than horror, but was a good read for his first novel.

sub

i read pet semetary, and granted it had one scene that was scary, cos i was half asleep and i think there was some random knocking on my window at 1am, but despite that, it wasnt too bad.
any writers that are freaky tho? any other stephen king's that are good to read?

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
astro said:
i've only read one of Stephen King's books: Carrie.....that book gave me nightmares...
i have it on dvd and carrie 2 the rage
and i want to see 3

J

jhakka

sub said:
i read pet semetary, and granted it had one scene that was scary, cos i was half asleep and i think there was some random knocking on my window at 1am, but despite that, it wasnt too bad.
any writers that are freaky tho? any other stephen king's that are good to read?
I've heard that Dean Koonz (I'm not 100% sure on the surname. I will let you know if I was incorrect, and post the right name when I find out) is pretty scary. Perhaps you should look into it.

As for the movies, I have the original Carrie movie, and as much as I loved the book, I hold no interest in any sequels that are not based on something that King himself wrote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)