Speaking Exam (1 Viewer)

Gemstone

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd depress you all and bring up speaking exams.

Does everyone have there's on the 14th of August. I do. Oh yeah that was continuers cos of course extention is on a different day.

Anyway did everyone get that book with the sample speaking questions in it? It's heaps usefully does everything.

Gemma

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
hehehe good luck guys, just take it easy, breathe and take your time. it's always a nervous time but the examiners are nice and it's great to get them over with :D

NiKz*~

HSC
yes, extension is on a week later on saturday 21st of august
>.<"

edit: typo

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I still have that speaking questions book, I'll be using it soon with my student (and maybe later, students) to get them speaking more!

If anyone here is Open High you must find a way to have proper conversations in Japanese at LEAST a few times a week. That can not be stressed enough! Once a day is better!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
there's a speaking questions book????? we were not given any! >.<
does this book just include all the possible questions they could ask u in the exam?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah i agree with you Lexi about Open High students. I didnt have the opportunity to speak that often but i did practice in my room at home, even though it sounds corny it helps. just get a list of sample questions and make sure you can answer with at least two sentences of stuff and it doesnt have to be true, no one's going to know if you lie about your family or hobbies. just do what you know and what is easy to remember

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Practise in the shower. Nobody cares what you say, even less so if they don't understand it. I still talk to myself in Japanese - just to stop myself from forgetting it before next year. :)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ahah yeh practise sounds like good advice, but if you're an lazy slob like me then watch lots of japanese drama! haha that's basically what i classfied as "study" during the hsc. and just relax and stuff! 2u speaking is heaps easy going. if you kinda go through the main topics and stuff you'll be more than fine. (that book you've got with the questions is REALLY GOOD)

try doing speaking practise hsc style with your teacher, and maybe tape it? the night before my speaking i stayed up till like 4am chatting on msn oops. so when i was cramming minutes before the exam i was listening to the tape. even though i wasn't listening to it consciously, i found that i could answer similar questions to what was on the tape pretty fluently.

so hmm yeh, i always hear about how listening to stuff in your sleep helps too?

ahah i'll stop before i start sharing more obscure study methods :uhoh:

Gemstone

Yeah the speaking book I have gives you questions for all the topics and it does it in heaps of detail. I think it's really good. Anyway I don't know where you get it from our teacher gave it to us.

Oh advice for those who have Japanese as a class (not Open High School)
Have a class once a week or fornight or whatever you guys can handle where you can only speak Japanese, no english at all.

We did it in my class on friday and it went pretty well. We only had 2 instances where someone spoke english and one was the teacher.

Anyway a way to make sure people don't chicken out and start speaking english is to make them pay 10c or what ever you think is approprite each time they speak english. That's what we do, and then at the end of term 3 have a morning tea or something with the money you got from people speaking english. If you don't end up with much money just by a little lolly or something for everyone.

Gemma

NiKz*~

HSC
where can we get japanese drama?

any download sites?
bittorent and non bt if possible =P

if its perfectly LEGAL that is ;-)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Im screwed for speaking exams but i know the thing i just cant get my head around speaking yet :(

Gemstone

Originally posted by Lexicographer
I have a feeling teachers aren't allowed to institute such methods in class... :)
LOL we suggested it. Plus it helps with your speaking, and also with listen which we are all horible at so it's good. Plus we get to spend the money at the end. It's not as though they keep it. Plus everyone's acountable.

Gemma

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think it works better when the students actually have a grasp of the language. we had a teacher who tried to speak only japanese the whole lesson and we didnt learn much at all because we were clueless. the funny thing was that he was kiwi and then we had a Japanese japanese teacher who taught us in English hehehe and we ended up learning more.
using only japanese is good for practice but not for entire lessons i reckon

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It CAN work, my teachers did it several times. It's really up to the teacher to do it in a way they know will work, and sometimes the levels of ability in a class are too widely spaced for that sort of thing. That's when you mix the two.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah im all for mixing for sure, its just when u go to extremes that it fails terribly and people hate the class cos they cant understand at all

Gemstone

Yeah well we've only got 5 of us and we are all pretty good at understanding plus our teacher plans for a 1/2 hour lesson if we do it so we have time to get through the stuff. We don't do it if we're going through sentence structures or anything. Just for speaking or vocab lessons. Plus we stop if someone doesn't understand. Normally me.

Gemma

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
go to hsc.csu.edu.au

look in the japanese section and its got practice speaking questions. Some are pretty stupid because nobody is going to ask your name... but some are good.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)