Some quick questions (1 Viewer)

HSC
Want to get these out before sleepin:

Find the limit, or show it doesn't exist:

The usual tricks like factorising/cancelling, going polar, x=y, x=0, y=0 don't seem to work? Probs blanking out. I know it doesn't exist but I can't find a path which isn't 0.

Next:

I get the partial deriv is f'(x) but i definitely did something wrong

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Want to get these out before sleepin:

The usual tricks like factorising/cancelling, going polar, x=y, x=0, y=0 don't seem to work? Probs blanking out. I know it doesn't exist but I can't find a path which isn't 0.

Next:

I get the partial deriv is f'(x) but i definitely did something wrong
1. Looking at the line y=x is enough.

2. Use the definition of partial derivatives and Taylor's theorem in the form f(x+h)=f(x)+hf'(x)+h^2f''(x)/2+O(h^3).

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A

The limit definitely depends on the path.
The expression can be shown to equal x+y^2/(x-y).
As the first term is approaching zero, we need only look at the second term to determine the limit.
If we follow the curve y=2x, the second term simplifies to -3x, which approaches 0.
If we follow the curve y=x^2, the second term simplifies to (x^3)/(1-x), which approaches negative infinity.
If we follow the curve y=sqrt(x), the second term simplifies to x/(x-sqrtx) which approaches 1.
By choosing other paths, I'm sure an infinite number of limits can be arrived at.

seanieg89

HSC
The limit definitely depends on the path.
The expression can be shown to equal x+y^2/(x-y).
As the first term is approaching zero, we need only look at the second term to determine the limit.
If we follow the curve y=2x, the second term simplifies to -3x, which approaches 0.
If we follow the curve y=x^2, the second term simplifies to (x^3)/(1-x), which approaches negative infinity.
If we follow the curve y=sqrt(x), the second term simplifies to x/(x-sqrtx) which approaches 1.
By choosing other paths, I'm sure an infinite number of limits can be arrived at.
along y=2x the second term simplifies to -4x, which does indeed tend to 0.

x^3/(1-x) also tends to 0, not negative infinity.

x/(x-sqrt(x)) also tends to 0, not 1.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Oops, I was taking limits to infinity.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
If you really want to explicitly find such a curve which gives you a finite nonzero limit the key is that the singular behaviour is on the line y=x, so something like y=x^2+x will do.

No point on such a singular line can ever be a point of continuity though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)