Some Questions (1 Viewer)

Dark Invoker

HSC
Well my school says that your assessments (Assessment Tasks + Trial Exams) count towards 50% of your HSC and then the other 50% comes from your actual HSC exam mark. Whilst other people say that your assessements don't actually count for much apart from they rank you in your school which effects your overall ATAR.

Basically I have several questions:
- I failed an assessment task, will that significantly effect my ATAR? (I got 12/25 and it was worth 25% of our assessment based mark)
- Is the fact that your assessment mark being worth 50% of your overall HSC literal? (E.G I got just below 50% in Business Studies in an assessment tast worth 25% of the overall assessment mark - does that mean I've lost 12% or so of my Business Studies final mark)
- Does your rank significantly effect your ATAR? (E.G I get 90% in my HSC exam but I'm ranked 30th in that subject)
- If you get say, 80-90% in your HSC exam papers yet have relatively average-below average assessment results, will you still be able to attain a 90-90+ ATAR?

If anyone could answer the above questions and give me a general explination on how the system works/ATAR is calculated then it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sort of concerned as I failed an assessment task (I followed the marking criteria but apparently misinterpreted "management of change" within business as we were expected to focus on 1 change rather than multiple changes) and it's put me at rank 40-50th (I assume) and whilst I'm confident I can do relatively well in my trial and HSC; I'm unsure whether or not it has put my 90 ATAR goal beyond reach.

Last edited:

Em_W

HSC
As I understand it, rank is pretty much everything. If your whole class does really well, your rank will be boosted a little but if you do great while the others in your class do bad, your rank can drop a few places.
My teacher explained to me the other day (finally I got a straight foreward answer) that the school gives everyone an overall mark in relation to how well each person does over the year, taking into consideration half-yearlies and assignments which contributes 50% to your final HSC mark, and then the final HSC paper which makes up the other 50% of the mark.
But, if the school gives everyone in the course a really good mark, but that doesn't show in the final paper, then everybody in the course's mark from the school get taken down a few notches. This means it's important to be consistant and hope that everyone else in the course is also.
Hope that helps.

twistedrebel

HSC
- I failed an assessment task, will that significantly effect my ATAR? (I got 12/25 and it was worth 25% of our assessment based mark)
it will not effect your ATAR, if you are able to get a higher rank at the end of the year (post-trails)
Is the fact that your assessment mark being worth 50% of your overall HSC literal? (E.G I got just below 50% in Business Studies in an assessment tast worth 25% of the overall assessment mark - does that mean I've lost 12% or so of my Business Studies final mark)
incorrect, the board of studies looks at ranks and the difference between them. so technically speaking if end up coming 1st at the end of the year you could still end up state ranking.
- Does your rank significantly effect your ATAR? (E.G I get 90% in my HSC exam but I'm ranked 30th in that subject)
if you get 90% in the HSC exam, that will be your exam mark, and the 30 highest exam mark from your school is lets say 74, that will be your assessment mark. By average exam and assessment mark which would be 82.
- If you get say, 80-90% in your HSC exam papers yet have relatively average-below average assessment results, will you still be able to attain a 90-90+ ATAR?
This no one can say, it depends on how your co-hort and how strong they are.

jaeyun

HSC
rank determines what your moderated mark will be as i was told

it is very important

but going to a bad school doesn't actaully pull you down per se, but if you get a bad rank in a bad school, then expect bad results

Eddykungfu

HSC
End of year HSC i'd say is still way more important.

that being said, good assessment ranks are necessary :p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)