Software engineering (1 Viewer)

lolsandwicher

HSC
What languages do we learn throughout the course?

i only really learnt VB at school and afaik VB isnt too big at universities, and i would like to begin learning the basics of the software languages so as not to be overwhelmed during the semester

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
It can depend on the electives you'll take.
You'll definitely learn C and Java, but you'll come across about 5-10 other languages throughout the degree.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
First year courses focus on C. If you're lucky (or not), you get to do functional programming in a Haskell mutation called Flan.

second year programming includes Java, and scripting in php and perl

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
First year courses focus on C. If you're lucky (or not), you get to do functional programming in a Haskell mutation called Flan.

second year programming includes Java, and scripting in php and perl
Haskell is awesome! heard of the window manager XMonad(written completely in Haskell)? One of it's core devs(Don Stuart) did a phd at cse.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I slowly got the hang of functional programming, but didn't realise that a window manager was written in it. John Shepherd told me another CSE student wrote enlightenment.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
I slowly got the hang of functional programming, but didn't realise that a window manager was written in it. John Shepherd told me another CSE student wrote enlightenment.
Yeah im using XMonad right now, gotta love tiling wms. Yep Enlightenment is by Rasterman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)