Software Engineering, UNSW vs USYD ????????? (1 Viewer)

garry007

HSC
N/A
Hi ! I was just curious about which University offers a better B Software Eng course, and what the differences are, coz right now im a bit consfused :) Also, in terms of computing, is B Software Engineering the best course ?
Thanks guys.

sunny

meh.
HSC
garry007 said:
Also, in terms of computing, is B Software Engineering the best course ?
Thanks guys.

There is no single "best" :)

You should be picking what you want to do. If Software Engineering appears to offer what you would like to do, then that is the one you should pick.

garry007

HSC
N/A
yeah i spose ure right. But if i do software engineering, where should i do it ????

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As we have said before:

SENG is half prog half managment
COMP SCI is half prog half whatever you want (could be more prog)
COMP ENG is half prog half elec

In terms of the best place for SENG, I would have to say UNSW. After researching it for open day, and talking to friends at USyd, the USyd SENG course is silly, not a real programming course, not a real Engineering course. The UNSW program lets you be a hardcore programmer if you want, an IT egghead if you want and athough it is not a "real" engineering course, it is at least closer.

But as sunny said it is up to you. As a 2nd year SENG student I am more than happy to answer all your questions about UNSW SENG. Also, be sure to visit the website: www.cse.unsw.edu.au
and specifically the website in my sig.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
First year : SENG is not for the faint hearted. It is a true test of mettle, and in many cases, perseverance in the field of writing reports and proposals. I guess this is most useful, since you obtain the ability to write system specs so that you can outsource the rest of the job to some computer scientists in India or Ukraine, while you keep most of the $$$... jk :D

Second year and later will be answered next year and respectively the years after.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm. so from this im gathering that comp science is the more flexible of them?? is that so ? .. cus i did sdd this yr ... i liked it, but to an extent. i just really cant see myself programming for the rest of my life. so is programming a massive part of comp science ? and how much programming experience u rekon is needed for comp sci or comp eng ... cus ive only done vb and html stuff.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Purp|e said:
hmmm. so from this im gathering that comp science is the more flexible of them?? is that so ? .. cus i did sdd this yr ... i liked it, but to an extent. i just really cant see myself programming for the rest of my life. so is programming a massive part of comp science ? and how much programming experience u rekon is needed for comp sci or comp eng ... cus ive only done vb and html stuff.
Yes comp sci would be the most flexible out of seng, comp eng and comp sci.

Since its flexible, you can keep the programming to a minimal by doing non COMP electives. The computing degrees at UNSW are taught without assumed experience with programming - but of course the more experience you have the better.

There is also a new combined degree that is BEng/BCom
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/prospect/ug/bebcom/index.htm

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
wahhh.. yeah i been reading about comp eng + comp science for a while ... seems they would suit me best :) that combined thing with commerce wud own ... but i doubt i will get ne where near the uai for that.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As for experience, I had no prior experience with ANY language, and have NOT done year 9/10 Computing Studies or year 11/12 SDD/IPT, and yet have done (IMO) reasonably well at all higher computing courses. So experience in programming isn't needed, but a logical mind obviously is ...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
psst the UAI requirements are dropping :)

althoughs upposedly they'll rise within 2 years, as IT booms again, as the DO keeps saying (to make us feel better?)

im just paraphrasing what my friend said, not too sure again :/

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
underthesun said:
psst the UAI requirements are dropping :)

althoughs upposedly they'll rise within 2 years, as IT booms again, as the DO keeps saying (to make us feel better?)

im just paraphrasing what my friend said, not too sure again :/
that's the propaganda going around
lol
CSE has this line graph showing a dip which we are currently in and then in the next few years it should rise again

grimreaper

HSC
Hey I have a question about first year seng (which I plan to do next year). I noticed that I'd have to choose between higher and ordinary maths and computing 1A/B. Since "higher" subjects would obviously be harder, is it harder to get high marks in these subjects than the standard ones as I would obviously like to maintain a high average in uni, or is there scaling to take this into account?

sunny

meh.
HSC
They say no, but yes, scaling is involved - but doing higher doesn't mean you'll automatically get a better mark than those in normal classes.

sunny

meh.
HSC
underthesun said:
And I *might* be your tutor!
CSE is on a "tight budget", they mostly use research students for tutors now.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
ah dang you're right

well there goes my dream of making it compulsory for the whole class to buy pizza to eat during tute, or booking the lab an hour before official labs, for longer lab time ;(

grimreaper

HSC
sunny said:
CSE is on a "tight budget", they mostly use research students for tutors now.
shouldnt second year students be cheaper to pay for the university than research students if they want tutors?

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
As far as I know the pay doesn't depend on age.

Most tutors are on some sort of scholarship or some sort of research project, as part of the contract, they must do some tutoring. That way it costs CSE nothing extra to get tutors for most subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)