Software Design & Development Marathon [2012] (1 Viewer)

Gigacube

HSC
Do we need to know all of these or just one from each category?
It seems like these are examples that the Course Specifications has suggested but you should be safe if you know one from each category and are able to relate it to social & ethical questions.

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
Yeah, I think the one I borrowed from the library is a really old version, though it does have some of the ones you listed, thankfully I have the Sam Davis book which has a few more :D

Q. What is the difference between alpha testing and beta testing? (All I could think of atm :( )
Alpha = within the organisiation, i.e. noone outside can access it but developers/maybe limited org.
Beta = limited number can sign up/participate in bug squashing

here's a fun one - name two employment trends in software development.

Last edited:

tranformer

HSC
none of those are from the specifications document!
I was looking at something else that was completely different! My bad :(

here's a fun one - name two employment trends in software development.
1. Many positions of employment are now short-term contracts to write a particular software. It was quite common for analyst and programmers to change employers as they new contracts.
2. Previously, employment for those in the IT were all based on their experience, but now as times change it is now changed to people who have qualifications.

I think at one point, programmers were being paid per line of code they were doing, this promoted more lines of useless code, thus more lines = more money but is now changed to contracts etc. <-- Not sure if correct

Q. What is intrinsic documentation?

Last edited:

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
I was looking at something else that was completely different! My bad :(

1. Many positions of employment are now short-term contracts to write a particular software. It was quite common for analyst and programmers to change employers as they new contracts.
2. Previously, employment for those in the IT were all based on their experience, but now as times change it is now changed to people who have qualifications.

I think at one point, programmers were being paid per line of code they were doing, this promoted more lines of useless code, thus more lines = more money but is now changed to contracts etc. <-- Not sure if correct
the answers from the syllabus are outsourcing and contract programmers ;3

Q. What is intrinsic documentation?
Documentation within code where the code speaks for itself, e.g. meaningful variable names, proper indentation.

Note comments are not technically intrinsic documentation :p

Q: Describe the effect of two emerging hardware and/or software technologies on the development process.

Last edited:

jackss

HSC
Q: Describe the effect of two emerging hardware and/or software technologies on the development process.
1. 4gl's allow for code to be rapidly developed by minimizing the effort needed on behalf of the programmer
2. mobile technologies have resulted in software primarily being developed for a different platform

Q. Dave downloaded an open source program; modified it; and then resold it. Is he in breach or any copyright laws? (if so describe why)

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
1. 4gl's allow for code to be rapidly developed by minimizing the effort needed on behalf of the programmer
2. mobile technologies have resulted in software primarily being developed for a different platform
1 is iffy.....you could have mentioned (as recommended by the board): iphone, wii, handheld communication devices (1 up!), scanning pen, biometric devices, multi-point surface software, RFIDs, ans social networking

Last edited:

InfinityBlade

HSC
There are a few additions of the syllabus I reckon they will test this year.

Domestic & International legal cases as highlighted above. For Option topic II Boolean Algebra and Unicode.

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
There are a few additions of the syllabus I reckon they will test this year.

Domestic & International legal cases as highlighted above. For Option topic II Boolean Algebra and Unicode.
don't forget the fish

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
To what detail do we need to know unicode? Samuel Davis goes into a LOT of detail, seems unnecessary.

InfinityBlade

HSC
To what detail do we need to know unicode? Samuel Davis goes into a LOT of detail, seems unnecessary.
This is the thing, we do not know yet. It hasn't really been tested before. I've only see it briefly appear in one past trial paper ever.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
For Unicode I doubt they will go into much detail. Probably ask for the definition.

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
I think the textbook is quite nice for HSC SDD.
sometimes he goes too far - i think it's bad that i can condense the course into <40 pages using a lot of tables and horrible aligned images and giant headings whereas he has miniscule font that waffles too much at times for 383 odd pages (minus questions).....and his binary search has a bug.

Last edited:

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Issues I have with the textbook:

- Only released halfway through the year. wtf?
- Plenty of typos and grammatical errors, very unprofessional
- Too damn long
- Goes into content that's not even touched upon in the syllabus, and would probably lose you marks if you talked about it (e.g. big-O). No differentiation between this content and course content

Q. Dave downloaded an open source program; modified it; and then resold it. Is he in breach or any copyright laws? (if so describe why)
By selling the software, he could be in breach of its OSS copyright license, often termed a 'copyleft license'. Many such licenses, such as the GPLv3, expressly stipulate that any derivatives must be distributed for free -- by reselling his modified version, Dave could thus be in breach of the law.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Some Boolean Algebra questions.

1. Prove the Consensus Theorem using Boolean Algebra.

ie.

2. Prove that:

3. Reduce the combinational logic circuit below to a minimum form. (20 mins on word...)

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Come on guys, his textbook isn't all THAT bad. Sure it has some flaws but most of the content would be helpful to a SDD student. He has kids to take care of now which is probably why the textbook was released late in the year.

Cyberbully

Where do you live?
HSC
Some Boolean Algebra questions.

1. Prove the Consensus Theorem using Boolean Algebra.

ie.

2. Prove that:

3. Reduce the combinational logic circuit below to a minimum form.

1) (ceebs tex)= (xy+xz+yy+yz)(not[x] + z) = (y(x+z+1)+xz) [as yy=1] = (x+y)(not[x] + z) [x+z+1 is always true]
2) SDD marker says we only need to know the basic laws of boolean - none of the XOR crap
3) how the f is there THREE inputs to AND and OR? if it's what i think it is, boolean algebra is (abc) + d

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)