SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

HSC
On this topic whilst this may not be an issue at select schools are many of you finding that half way through year 12 a lot of uninformed kids only just figured out their subjects scale like a pile of shit and so they start cramming constantly to make up for it?

There's one boy at my school who works his arse off for extension and advanced english hoping it will pull his uai up. Unfortunately his other subjects are pe, music 1, drama and general maths.

Another kid does extension maths and advanced english but woodwork, drama and music 1. He's aiming to be a commercial pilot.

I'm not criticising these electives but it seems a lot of kids make some uniformed choices.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
On this topic whilst this may not be an issue at select schools are many of you finding that half way through year 12 a lot of uninformed kids only just figured out their subjects scale like a pile of shit and so they start cramming constantly to make up for it?

There's one boy at my school who works his arse off for extension and advanced english hoping it will pull his uai up. Unfortunately his other subjects are pe, music 1, drama and general maths.

Another kid does extension maths and advanced english but woodwork, drama and music 1. He's aiming to be a commercial pilot.

I'm not criticising these electives but it seems a lot of kids make some uniformed choices.
yea, thats happening at my school a lot, we were never told about scaling during our subject selection which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

i chose all humanities, which would suck for me if i was doing badly.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
yea, thats happening at my school a lot, we were never told about scaling during our subject selection which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

i chose all humanities, which would suck for me if i was doing badly.
I do humanities too but I planned them out so its not a disadvantage.

3U english and SOR II are my big guns, modern history used to be up until this year when I got a dodgey teacher.

If I had my time again I would have picked my lines differently so I could avoid a few shit teachers :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I do humanities too but I planned them out so its not a disadvantage.

3U english and SOR II are my big guns, modern history used to be up until this year when I got a dodgey teacher.

If I had my time again I would have picked my lines differently so I could avoid a few shit teachers :)
god i hate that, im weakest at english and really need the concepts explained in great depth to do well, which i was, until we got this new teacher last term who just races through everything.

i love my subjects though, im glad i chose the ones i did, regardless of the bad scaling, i dont think i would be doing very well if id chosen maths and science based subjects

HSC
-may-cat- said:
god i hate that, im weakest at english and really need the concepts explained in great depth to do well, which i was, until we got this new teacher last term who just races through everything.

i love my subjects though, im glad i chose the ones i did, regardless of the bad scaling, i dont think i would be doing very well if id chosen maths and science based subjects
Haha, fuck yes. its a major disadvantage, particually in history where you need access to expensive text books which shit teachers don't have.

Being a humanities freak I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to do well (I get most marks in the mid 90s) but I know its silly to aim for 99.xx cutoffs, it isnt really where I want to be anyway.

What are you looking at doing next year? (humanities subjects give you a wide variety of career options: law or teaching :p)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Haha, fuck yes. its a major disadvantage, particually in history where you need access to expensive text books which shit teachers don't have.

Being a humanities freak I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to do well (I get most marks in the mid 90s) but I know its silly to aim for 99.xx cutoffs, it isnt really where I want to be anyway.

What are you looking at doing next year? (humanities subjects give you a wide variety of career options: law or teaching :p)
lol, now im gonna look silly...
im looking to study ancient history at maquarie uni, then go on to teaching.
my parents are heaps shitty at me, they wanted me to do psychology or law or something "prestigious" in their words.

fuck em

how about you?

HSC
-may-cat- said:
lol, now im gonna look silly...
im looking to study ancient history at maquarie uni, then go on to teaching.
my parents are heaps shitty at me, they wanted me to do psychology or law or something "prestigious" in their words.

fuck em

how about you?
Pfft at your parents, ancient history and teaching are awesome, Mac's ancient history course would be on my preference list if I lived in sydney. I've got a friend going down there to do the same thing as you. Any idea what language/civilisation you'd major in?

I want to be a lawyer. Part of me wants to be a hardcore mid tier firm guy but according to everyone on this forum going to Newcastle uni is going to leave me unemployed or giving handjobs for money so I'd probably look elsewhere.

I'm considering law/journalism at UTS as well, but being away from my home and family and living with my vegetarian aunt doesn't exactly thrill me.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Pfft at your parents, ancient history and teaching are awesome, Mac's ancient history course would be on my preference list if I lived in sydney. I've got a friend going down there to do the same thing as you. Any idea what language/civilisation you'd major in?

I want to be a lawyer. Part of me wants to be a hardcore mid tier firm guy but according to everyone on this forum going to Newcastle uni is going to leave me unemployed or giving handjobs for money so I'd probably look elsewhere.

I'm considering law/journalism at UTS as well, but being away from my home and family and living with my vegetarian aunt doesn't exactly thrill me.
most likely ancient greek

lol, fair enough, i would go with what your most comfortable with. I mean, if you move down to sydney and end up not liking living with you aunt (vegetarians are not that bad) and find you have to live by yourself, you probably will have to start giving handjobs just to pay rent... so its all down to the vegetarian aunt...

HSC
-may-cat- said:
most likely ancient greek

lol, fair enough, i would go with what your most comfortable with. I mean, if you move down to sydney and end up not liking living with you aunt (vegetarians are not that bad) and find you have to live by yourself, you probably will have to start giving handjobs just to pay rent... so its all down to the vegetarian aunt...
Lol, every solution comes back to giving out handjobs :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Lol, every solution comes back to giving out handjobs :D
but seriously, you should consider coming down to sydney, its pretty nice here and UTS is quite good. cant u live on campus?

HSC
-may-cat- said:
but seriously, you should consider coming down to sydney, its pretty nice here and UTS is quite good. cant u live on campus?
Yes, I priced it all and it ends up around $150 a week for rent (which isnt bad at all) and with a part time job and my parents tutoring more students I could swing it.

The other option is living with my aunt for the days I have uni (because her apartment doesnt have a spare room) and coming home for the other 3 days of the week.

Neither seems like a great option, I'm very comfortable at home. Something tells me I wouldn't fit in amongst a lot of asian/city kids either.

Whilst I know UTS has a high regard, it just seems silly to move that far away, miss out on a scholarship, my home, family and some part time firm work offers I got because the people on this forum say UTS is cool.

I don't know, its all food for thought at the moment, and unfortunately there's no be-all-end-all source which can tell me one is better then the other.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Yes, I priced it all and it ends up around $150 a week for rent (which isnt bad at all) and with a part time job and my parents tutoring more students I could swing it.

The other option is living with my aunt for the days I have uni (because her apartment doesnt have a spare room) and coming home for the other 3 days of the week.

Neither seems like a great option, I'm very comfortable at home. Something tells me I wouldn't fit in amongst a lot of asian/city kids either.

Whilst I know UTS has a high regard, it just seems silly to move that far away, miss out on a scholarship, my home, family and some part time firm work offers I got because the people on this forum say UTS is cool.

I don't know, its all food for thought at the moment, and unfortunately there's no be-all-end-all source which can tell me one is better then the other.
are you fucking serious! 150 a week!!!! where do i sign up? atm me and my boyfriend pay 550 a week for a shitty little apartment

but i completly agree with u, do what u think is best. i like that u associate asians with city people.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
are you fucking serious! 150 a week!!!! where do i sign up? atm me and my boyfriend pay 550 a week for a shitty little apartment

but i completly agree with u, do what u think is best. i like that u associate asians with city people.
Geegal

• Share apartment
    4 Bedrooms (see note 2)
    Half year (26 weeks): $4,485
    Yearly (52 weeks): $8,970
  • Share Apartment
    3 Bedroom (see note 2)
    Half year (26 weeks): $4,680
    Yearly (52 weeks): $9,360
Best deals I could find. $9K for shared accomedation with 3 other students ain't bad at all.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
i like that u associate asians with city people.
In my entire life I've been to Sydney a dozen times and I've met a total of 3 asians.

No joke.

My friends and I thought it was amazing when the 3 asian kids in our school by chance walked in the same direction at a close proximity. In Sydney I'm going to go tropo :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
im probably too picky, but i hate roomates. god they piss me off. i should go to bed... i have to study for my ancient trial tomorrow.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
im probably too picky, but i hate roomates. god they piss me off. i should go to bed... i have to study for my ancient trial tomorrow.
Heh, might be a nice way of meeting TEH LADIES :D

Good luck in your ancient test!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Heh, might be a nice way of meeting TEH LADIES :D

Good luck in your ancient test!
heh, i dont think so, they're not ladies, they're ice junkies.

thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)