So, who's doing some good old GERMAN ? (1 Viewer)

bugs

hehe....... what? ;)

Anyone?
beginners etc ?

i'm also doing
intermediate italian
middle ages
narratives of romance n adventure

Auf wiedersehen

P.S. Alexander Kapranos is devastatingly DIVINE!!!

Bachelor of Arts.

Last edited by a moderator:

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
I've enrolled in Beginners as well. :)
Not sure how I'll go with it.. I'll change in the first couple of weeks if it looks like too much work.

bugs

Seryn said:
I'm going to study German; absolute beginner though; )
i'm doing beginners too, - are ya gonna major in German ? - i mite not sure tho
my interest in German was inspired by yr 12 mod history (Germany 1929-1945) The history is tragic but fascinating.
ANYWAY.....- i've been teaching myself a bit of German cos well, i love it so much!
and i'll give you a bit of vocab so YOU can be ahead of the rest LOL

guten tag - hi/bye (casual)
wie gehts? - how r ya?
sehr gut - very good
SheiBe!! - why don't u guess? hehe
dast ist meine freundin - that is my friend- (female)
Oktoberfest!!! - a mad time in Germany!! (the USU does it infact!)

well... that's pretty much all i know
oh wait do ya like Franz Ferdinand? - if u listen to 'darts of pleasure' - Alex sings/says 'ich heiBe super fantastisch, ich trinke champers mit lasfisch'!!!!
anyway.. i've typed FAR too much - and i apologise. This post was indeed inspired by my good friend, BOREDOM (he says hi!)

did ya enjoy that mini lesson?
i know i did ;)

Guten tag

veridis

droog
HSC
another german beginner here. my study so far has been limited to listening to rammstein, i know
ich hab keine lust = i dont want to/i dont feel like it
ohne dich = without you
benzin = oil
du hast = you have
du hasst = you hate
links = left
ich brauche zeite = i need time
mein teil = my part
feuer frei = fire at will
not sure if my phrases are quite as useful as yours though

bugs

nah, they're great. i love the 'fire at will' one hehe
fuer frei!!! - (i just have ti learn how to pronounce it properly.)
what's Rammstein?
do ya like Franz Ferdinand? cos in 'darts of pleasure' alex sings;
ich heiBe super fantastisch, ich tirnke champers mit laschfisch!" - ii love it! esp. German accents LOL! my uncle is gr8 at doing them :D

i've got some really lousy valentine's day keywords in German, in case you wanted to *woo someone in German LOL - of course it doesn't sound as eloquent as 'french' oo lala or nething- but i think it's mad

cuddle v. kuscheln
darling, sweetheart n. Liebling
dear adj. lieb
you are dear to me du bist mir lieb, ich hab' dich lieb
Play the Game!
German Hangman: Valentine/Love <gamesjava/hangman/bljava_hmLiebe1.htm>
dear (one), love n. der Schatz, Liebling
my dear, my love mein Schatz
dearest (one) der/die Liebste
I love you. Ich liebe dich.

this is soooo cliche n pathetic LOL
Dein Liebespfeil hat mich getroffen! Komm bitte her und verarzte mich! - ur cupid's arrow has hit me! please come and take care of me!

bugs

OH, darn it you got us there -pfft
anyway, u see the lecturers n tutors r nazis too, n we were gonna full on congregate donned in black robes n leather steel capped boots.-
HA!
*laughs*

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
halio said:
i'm doing beginners too, - are ya gonna major in German ? - i mite not sure tho
my interest in German was inspired by yr 12 mod history (Germany 1929-1945) The history is tragic but fascinating.
ANYWAY.....- i've been teaching myself a bit of German cos well, i love it so much!
and i'll give you a bit of vocab so YOU can be ahead of the rest LOL

guten tag - hi/bye (casual)
wie gehts? - how r ya?
sehr gut - very good
SheiBe!! - why don't u guess? hehe
dast ist meine freundin - that is my friend- (female)
Oktoberfest!!! - a mad time in Germany!! (the USU does it infact!)

well... that's pretty much all i know
oh wait do ya like Franz Ferdinand? - if u listen to 'darts of pleasure' - Alex sings/says 'ich heiBe super fantastisch, ich trinke champers mit lasfisch'!!!!
anyway.. i've typed FAR too much - and i apologise. This post was indeed inspired by my good friend, BOREDOM (he says hi!)

did ya enjoy that mini lesson?
i know i did ;)

Guten tag
Yeah, at this point im thinking that i'll major in German. It depends on how much i like it though. Im only studying it to support my study of ancient histroy. It was either French or German, and my favourire band comes from Germany so i went for that lol. I'm not really interested in the modern history perspective though.
Thanks for the lesson though, i know absolutly nothing, except for oktoberfest; )

Guten tag

Oh, and sorry to dissapoint you but i don't like Franz Ferdinand; )

bugs

OH! u don't like FF? my oh my
anyway, what's this german band? is it goldfinger?- do they sing in english i suppose?

so ya gonna do - foundations of ancient history : Greece/power n persuasion?
i wanted to do power n persuasion, but thought that the renaissance n reformation was more interesting + it wud go well w/italian
i'm doing the middle ages semester I

German is mad you can full on have that accent and sound so rash and you know- Do u watch inspector Rex on thurs? (SBS) that's in german

ciao

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
halio said:
OH! u don't like FF? my oh my
anyway, what's this german band? is it goldfinger?- do they sing in english i suppose?

so ya gonna do - foundations of ancient history : Greece/power n persuasion?
i wanted to do power n persuasion, but thought that the renaissance n reformation was more interesting + it wud go well w/italian
i'm doing the middle ages semester I

German is mad you can full on have that accent and sound so rash and you know- Do u watch inspector Rex on thurs? (SBS) that's in german

ciao
The band is Blind Guardian, they're a German power metal band. They do sing in English but they sometimes talk in German at their shows.

As for Ancient History, i'm actually focusing more on Archaeology. I will be doing the Greece unit, but i find Romam history quite boring so i wont be doing the power and persuasion one. The middle ages was another one i considered but i didnt want to spread myself too thin so i had to give it a miss.
Inspector Rex ive never really watched but i might start as it might be good for study; )

bugs

o ok then
but if ur majoring in ancient you can take units from history that contribute to ur ancient H. major.
how come u had to do a language w/ancient? is it good for sources or sumthing?

i'm gonna major in history (most likely) n do a postgrad in archaeology.

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Well i'm actually going to major in Archaeology and just take a couple of history subjects to support that. And a language isnt compulsory but it was recommended that i do at least one language, either modern or ancient. For modern languages, apparently French and German are the best and maybe Italian, for modern sources etc. I may also pick up an ancient language like ancient greek or heiroglyphics later if i find time

veridis

droog
HSC

daniL

HSC
I did beginner's German last year, and it was great. A word of warning to all of you doing it, and I really shouldn't have to say this - but even if your tutor doesn't go through your homework, still do all of the exercises from the book. You will get so far behind otherwise. I got a bit behind in second semester because I didn't do all of them. You have good intentions at first, and then you become lazy - don't become lazy. A lot of you will have people who have mother, fathers or both who are German, and they have a bit of an advantage. Don't be disheartened. It all evens out later on. Also, try and expose yourself to the language as much as possible; listen to songs, watch movies, read the newspaper all in German, and it will help. When I did French at school, my teacher made us do a lot of translating and I found that helped me. They don't really drill that into you at uni, but I think it's a good idea. Another thing, and I can't stress this enough because it will haunt you - LEARN THE GENDERS AND VOCABULARY FIRST OFF. Before you're about to start a new chapter, write out the vocabulary a few times (with the genders) to familiarise yourself with them. This helps so much. And last of all, have fun! It's a really great subject. Out of all of mine last year, German was the best. We all became friends and had a lot of laughs together. It's so great that I'm going to major in it (fingers crossed!) No one told me what learning a new language would be like at uni and the pace of it, and I wish I had known all of this this time last year, but I just hope someone else can benefit from it. I know I'm not that great at German at the moment, but you can always send me a message if you would like help with anything.

Viel Glück! :)

P.S. And join the German Kultur Klub at O-Week. It's only new but they'll be organising more activities later on.

bugs

thanks heaps for the advice
i will most probably join the german kultur klub!! :D
are the tutors nice?
are the classes fast paced?
anyway thanks....:)

bugs

veridis said:
*gasp!*
you dont know rammstein? they are merely the best industrial metal band ever. live shows are meant to be awesome as well.
some links courtesy of google video
Rammstein - Amerika
Rammstein - Links
Rammstein - Sonne
Rammstein - Rosenrot

haha i love inspector rex, he's absolutely classic. him and montalbano, best crime shows on tv and SBS has em both
LOL the vids would be nice, if my internet connection were better -
lol- Inspector Rex certainly is great- i get a kick out of it every time - thinking i may be able to speak like that lol - hehe!!

Although watching it has become a problem, with my mother deeming it 'inspector sex' due to slightly 'risque' episodes in the past - but they're not all like that!

SBS is great for history as well, i watched 'days that changed the world' -(ottoman empire) with amazing insights into the origin of the french crossaint! (i would meniton it but..it might incite offence....)

Auf Wiedersehen

Last edited by a moderator:

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Now that we have our timetables and know which tutorial groups we're in is anyone else in Group 1 for German Beginners (GRMN1111)
Also whos joined the German Kultur Klub so far. I have.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)