So who got an offer? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Alicia calm down, call UAS and Admissions, (02) 6125 1100, 1800 620 032/(02) 6125 5594 respectively. Find out whats going on, I suspect delays in post/etc nothing too serious. Also remember that I know many others who have not yet recieved their offers.

As far as if you do rent should the need arise I can give you some more precise pointers on that - for the meantime though you would be looking for an unfurnished room in a share house in this area: Acton (unlikley), Turner, O'Connor, Lyneham, Hackett, Watson, Dickson, Ainslie, Cambell and Reid. All are within an easy ride of the uni and a comfortable walk. Expect to pay 110-140 p/w for a room in a three bedroom place.

It is highly unlikely that you even need to worry about that stuff yet though, just call make them explain wtf is going on....

a8o

HSC
Metropolitan Sydney (me) hasn't received anything apart from that 'sit tight' postcard yet, probably will be calling on Monday - these big institutions tend to give a different answer every time the same question is asked.

On a totally unrelated note, how long is the drive to Canberra these days from Sydney? 3 1/2 - 4 hours? Thought I might head down for PEA day to figure out Arts course requirements, but also to see the campus finally as I haven't been down yet.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well from metro sydney I would expect a comfortable 3->3.5 hr drive - add half an hour if you feel the need to stop at some point.

I recommend heading down for PEA day not because it will neccasserily be useful in any tangible way but it is a good way to get a little bit familiar etc with canberra/anu/the drive. And if your parents insist on coming down at least its considerably more common to see them on PEA day than during O-week....

a8o

HSC
Plus, it's something to do, a way to kill time. And my mum's car is fast and fun to drive.

hangerm5

HSC
Well I'd say my folks will be there for PEA day and the day I move in, after that., I think they will be nice and leave me to settle in.....Only two hours away as well so its nice and close if they do need anything.... :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Alicia, you haven't indicated that you've called the colleges yet. Before you start stressing this should be the very first thing you do! I can't see how you wouldn't get in!

As for enrolment to ANU itself, forget about that for now. :)

a8o

HSC
Since it appear's I've had similar concerns to Cherryblossom I thought I'd post regarding my experiences today in trying to figure out accomodation. I don't know how applicable this is, but would be interested to hear how things are progressing on your end.

Burgmann told me today they haven't made any decisions yet regarding my position at college, apparently my application is being considered with 50 others and that I should know by next Monday. That seems a little late, so I asked what my options would be should I not be accepted. I mentioned that I knew of some other people who had been accepted into other accomodation, some on the basis of interview. I spoke to student accomodation services and directly with the college, trying to ask the same questions to make sure responses were similar (which they were). Basically, the university still holds my details, they have not been lost in the system, and they know I still plan to live in Canberra this year. Otherwise, this was all appeasement!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I phoned them today, I did get an offer, it was my dad's email's fault, but I'm disappointed with it. :/ My head is numb after work and yeah I can't make any sense of the forms. Apparently it's up to the discretion of the heado of hosue who they take, and maybe they just don;t like actuarial studies people

We're seriously understaffed and I was run off my feet for four hours for shitty intro pay, and I seriously don't want to see another continental or classic or care what the frigging difference is. I don't know if I want to go to Canberra. :headbang: Thanks you people, anyhow.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So what did you get offered?

From what I heard a high UAI was a help and I believe acturial/law was 96.5 this year....

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
So what did you get offered?

From what I heard a high UAI was a help and I believe acturial/law was 96.5 this year....
fenner I wanted b and g. It could have been anything, the dude said, maybe there were too many girls or too many law people or they just didn't like me

at the moment the very last thing I want to do is get on a train/plane for a long ride. any one else feel similarly daunted.

p.s. they inform us of accommo via email, so my being in qld shouldn't cause a delay.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well Fenner is still a good hall - I lived there and I recommend it.

I daresay your 'daunted' feeling may have alot to do with being understaffed and overworked at your job today.... believe me I can sympathise - yesterday I finnished an 85 hour, 11 day week with one day off in the middle so I missed out on huge double time :().

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Well Fenner is still a good hall - I lived there and I recommend it.

I daresay your 'daunted' feeling may have alot to do with being understaffed and overworked at your job today.... believe me I can sympathise - yesterday I finnished an 85 hour, 11 day week with one day off in the middle so I missed out on huge double time :().
I know, but I was counting on getting up at 8:50 for a 9 am lecture and running there in my pyjamas
sheesh, those are long hours. I wish my boss would give me long hours. she only lets me work during the busiest times so I don't get paid for bludging like the other girls. I was basically the onyl one doing about ten dozen things in my dreams I am hearing people calling Alicia can you run for me, Alicia can you go clear the table in the corner where the lady has just sat down, and I can't see white plates without crying. Last shift another guy came in and helped and I was so happy I nearly hugged him.
Argh and my work is closing on Australia Day so no double pay for me either
the thing is although they;re understaffed they won't employ more people, only people like me on minimum wage, probably because they're cheapskates.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well I believe that Alicia lives in queensland (?) so I doubt thats going to be terribly applicable to you....

On the other hand I definantly recommend applying pretty much anywhere in civic. There is generally a high turnover of staff (not just firings but very commonly: upgrading jobs, getting bored, finnishing degrees, going on holiday, deferring, etc) which means lots of positions opening up all the time.

a8o

HSC
Heh, yeah, I knew that, but looking for a job now after Christmas while all the cheap high school kids are still on holidays and when you have limited work experience...and I'm not searching that hard anyway. I'm earning about $100 a week delivering junk mail :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
a8o said:
Heh, yeah, I knew that, but looking for a job now after Christmas while all the cheap high school kids are still on holidays and when you have limited work experience...and I'm not searching that hard anyway. I'm earning about $100 a week delivering junk mail :p
shit, how do you manage that? you'd have to deliver a whole bunch.
do you have your own car?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
cherryblossom said:
I know, but I was counting on getting up at 8:50 for a 9 am lecture and running there in my pyjamas
sheesh, those are long hours. I wish my boss would give me long hours. she only lets me work during the busiest times so I don't get paid for bludging like the other girls. I was basically the onyl one doing about ten dozen things in my dreams I am hearing people calling Alicia can you run for me, Alicia can you go clear the table in the corner where the lady has just sat down, and I can't see white plates without crying. Last shift another guy came in and helped and I was so happy I nearly hugged him.
Argh and my work is closing on Australia Day so no double pay for me either
the thing is although they;re understaffed they won't employ more people, only people like me on minimum wage, probably because they're cheapskates.
Try sleeping in till 8:45, running, catching the shuttle bus, running some more and going to a 9am lecture?

Honestly though the pyjama advantage isn't that great because nobody goes to a lecture in their pjs because they'd look like a dag...

The big advantage is going 'home' for lunch etc.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Try sleeping in till 8:45, running, catching the shuttle bus, running some more and going to a 9am lecture?

Honestly though the pyjama advantage isn't that great because nobody goes to a lecture in their pjs because they'd look like a dag...

The big advantage is going 'home' for lunch etc.
but that's five minutes I waste being awake....
what do you mean, going home. what's so great about going home for lunch...?
oh, are there many law people at fenner?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well I used going home for lunch as a broad indicator of the ease of going back to your room/hall at any point during the day.

Some reasons for this may be:

A)To have lunch because you forgot to bring one and think that uni food is overpriced and shithouse.
B)You forgot something miscellaneous.
C)You want to watch TV, play pool (for free).
D)Use your computer.
E)etc

As far as law people go - there is no shortage of law students at Fenner. Because of the international 'bent' of Fenner you get alot of people who do 'internationally interested degrees' eg International Relations, Asian Studies, Arts/Law, etc.

a8o

HSC
cherryblossom said:
shit, how do you manage that? you'd have to deliver a whole bunch.
do you have your own car?
I don't own a car, but because my mum's a social worker doing school counselling in catholic schools, I can usually borrow her car at some point during the day because of school holidays. I have a really lucrative run with lots of flats so I can get a stack of each type, about an armful and then plant my feet and fill 20 or 30 letter boxes without walking (usually something like woolies or coles, bunnings, myer). About 90 minutes for $50, but its really hot and boring work and people walking past or coming home give you really dodgy looks. Because it's so casual, I can do it whenever I feel like. When I'm about to quit, I'll probably cheat...a bit more than I do already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)