• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sleep (1 Viewer)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I'm alright on the sleep front. I usually aim for 7-8 hours a night. I've never really tried the power-nap thing... how do you wake up?

Scinery

HSC
Tully B. said:
I'm alright on the sleep front. I usually aim for 7-8 hours a night. I've never really tried the power-nap thing... how do you wake up?
google "placebo's sleep track" or something and dl...i used audacity to make my own personalized longer mp3s but for some reason they never work. when powernapping with placebo i sleep face up even though i dont sleep face up at night, and 75% of the time i wake up feeling better. but ive stopped doing it because my headphones broke lol.

i cant concentrate if i sleep too little...id love to be able to sleep 7 hours a night but i can only work late at night because i procrastinate during the afternoon because i sleep siesta after school and wake up unrefreshed and just want to talk to ppl. so this sleep issue becomes a procrastination issue. lol

but ok holis i shall mebbe try regulating my specific hours even if they are short. and ill do the whole 90 minute sleep cycle thing cos i read about that as well.
ty

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
I always sleep in class..

I can never seem to sleep during the night, then I get tired during the day.

yesterday, i took a sleep for like 15 hours. best time ever.

chaldoking

HSC
To be entirely honest I sleep at 3am every nigh and I love it! I guess I am used to it and the next day I am like perfectly fine. It comes down to what works best for you!

5233andy

HSC
Sleep is fundamental to human existence - it obviously allows for your body to recuperate after a day's work and prep you up for the new day. SO you could say that sleep is your turnaround period. I refer to a member's post previous to this. You may be able to sleep for only a few hours and get away with it constantly. However, you have no idea as to what you're doing to your body - but it will eventually show through unwarranted sickness.

Off topic, but I got this from my Physics teacher(can't be bothered with my own research) - your body releases hormones during times of anxiety, nervousness - these hormones have the potential to interfere with your knowledge and more or less your quick thinking. So rather than stay up until early in the morning and cram everything into your brain (which won't even work), one should get some proper rest.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I still don't get the power nap thing. I can't just go to sleep at the drop of a hat. I read for like and hour and a half before I turn out my light, and after that it takes about half and hour to an hour for me to actually go to sleep. A 20 minute nap is way beyond me.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
Tully B. said:
I still don't get the power nap thing. I can't just go to sleep at the drop of a hat. I read for like and hour and a half before I turn out my light, and after that it takes about half and hour to an hour for me to actually go to sleep. A 20 minute nap is way beyond me.
Yeah i'm the same, i've never been able to do the power nap thing. i take ages to get to sleep, i've had a lot of issues with insomnia this past year, so i don't tend to get into bed until i'm unable to keep my eyes open, otherwise i'll be up all night. i've also started using NLP or just some relaxing music which is working wonders.

But I tend to average 3-4 hours sleep a night during the week. people can say it's not most effective to work until early hours of the morning but it is for me, i work best between 11 and 3. there are less distractions so it minimises procrastination, and i have 3 younger siblings so it's the only time it's quiet. i cope pretty comfortably usually with that amount of sleep. and i just make sure at least one night over the weekend i get about 10 hours, and that keeps me going.

lolokay

HSC
can bad sleep habits have long term/permanent effects on your body, or is it mostly just short/medium term?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
can bad sleep habits have long term/permanent effects on your body, or is it mostly just short/medium term?
Um...I reckon it can have long term effects - but just make sure your 'bad' sleeping habits aren't that -bad- and you'll be fine.

McSpitfire

Wendell Sailor
The grandstands at OKI Jubilee.. (Actually, Cronul
HSC
Scinery said:
in the holidays ive decided i want to regulate my sleep

I did my half yearlies with a strict powernapping regime, sleeping 20 minutes after school, (using sleep mp3), 20 mins after dinner and 4.5 hours at night. i did really well in halfyearlies

my yearly sleep has been very irreggular, sleeping between 2-13 hours a night, and i didnt do as well.

during the term im usually not good at paying attention in class, due to lack of sleep, but i also get really groggy when i oversleep. nowadays i pretty much consistently take a 1-2 hour siesta after school.

i have no ideal time, no ideal wake time, no ideal sleep time
the only consistency is that IM NOT A MORNING PERSON. i scream at my mum in the morning and tell her falsifications that i dont even remember. i sit in front of the gas heater for 20 minutes even if its not cold. and then i spend 25 minutes in the shower..contemplating my fate. i can only study late at night nowadays...i procrastinate in the afternoon which is why i sleep late.

what do i do? if you can acknowledge your sources that would be great.
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer follows some powernapping schedule like Leonardo Da Vinci.. haha

Simple solution: Schedule a time when to go to bed each night (Let's say 9:30pm), when to wake up, and have a good breakfast in the morning comprising of low GI Foods such as cereals (Weetbix is probably a better option). Be serious or you'll go back to old habits.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
My sleeping patterns are so bad.

Last week I stayed up to about 3am every day for study, except I crashed on wednesday night and didnt get to study for Chem the next day.
Thursday night I was up to 5am doing my extension english story.

Next year I will be really strict about it, Im normally pretty good with my sleep going to bed at about 11-11:30 and getting up at 7

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I aim for some consistency when I sleep (that's for school days). On School days, I usually sleep for about 7 hours. But on holidays, I sleep for about 10 hours :D:D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Sarah182 said:
Haha me too
I get close to 11 or 12 some days. Gotta love the holidays :D
Oh yeah :lol: Wait 'till we get to year 12 though .. 8 hours sleep will be God sent.

HSC
i usually aim for liek 10 hours a day but i lost sooo much sleep during exams. i slept at like 11 and woke up at 3 next morning to study till 8 xD

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
☆ said:
i usually aim for liek 10 hours a day but i lost sooo much sleep during exams. i slept at like 11 and woke up at 3 next morning to study till 8 xD
And lets not forget the times when you slept during study time :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh yeah :lol: Wait 'till we get to year 12 though .. 8 hours sleep will be God sent.
LOL
I didn't even get 8 hours of sleep in Year 11!

Although I always manage to sleep when I'm studying.. reading something one minute... wake up with my head on the book the next... and its been 3 hours wasted.

5233andy

HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL

Although I always manage to sleep when I'm studying.. reading something one minute... wake up with my head on the book the next... and its been 3 hours wasted.
I wouldn't really consider it to be 'wasted'. It's more or less a sign of sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation can have its effects in the long run - when that comes, we'd all be regretting what we're doing to ourselves. Though we don't realise it, we're doing more harm than good through late shifts with minimal sleep. Further, you'd experience troubles with trying to remember whatever it may be that you're studying.

An outline of the effects of sleep deprivation can be obtained here.

I also refer to my previous post in this thread.

Hopefully, with the two week break, we'd all be able to get into the habit of some proper, human sleep.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL

ong, and you said that you haven't been studying hard? LOL! I slept when I was studying for physics .. but that was only for 5 mins. The last thing I remember was myself saying 'convectional current'. Stupid studying .. look at what it's done to us :hammer:

4theHSC

HSC
lol this is what i noticed, i had 4 hours of sleep every day before the test trying to cram everything. The only time it works is when there is one test in the morning and thats it. If there is a test that is happening in the afternoon as well be prepared to fall asleep, it happened to me in 3 unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)