Single Person Subjects (1 Viewer)

Jawa

HSC
I need abseloute confirmation to see how stuffed I am. If I am the only person studying the course at my school is there any moderation between assessment marks and examination marks or do I basically get my exam mark?

Aysce

HSC
Since you're basically in a course ie 1/1, they'd take the highest exam mark as your internal, in which this is your exam mark, regardless of how high or low your mark is as you technically are first in the class despite having only one person. So essentially, you're getting your own exam mark.

Jawa

HSC
Since you're basically in a course ie 1/1, they'd take the highest exam mark as your internal, in which this is your exam mark, regardless of how high or low your mark is as you technically are first in the class despite having only one person. So essentially, you're getting your own exam mark.
That's it, It sounds really good in the beginning but then makes the HSC a drain.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
It also means you can screw up your internals and they don't count.

Aysce

HSC
Exactly, but what good would that do? lol

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would take being in a cohort of 1/1 than being in my current chemistry cohort any day of the week.

SCAN0206

HSC
I would take being in a cohort of 1/1 than being in my current chemistry cohort any day of the week.
But at least you'd have some support from other students or at least people you can talk to about the subject.
Being the single person in the class is a bit discouraging since there is no "competition", you really question whether its worth doing it alone.
Assuming OP doesn't do tutoring

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If that were to happen, then I guess you would have a pretty good chance at getting a state ranking for chem :)
I don't think it's likely for anyone to be getting a state rank in any subject because anything could happen on the day. Currently, my only hope for a state rank lies in Physics but my school's record isn't all that great in that.

Aysce

HSC
I don't think it's likely for anyone to be getting a state rank in any subject because anything could happen on the day. Currently, my only hope for a state rank lies in Physics but my school's record isn't all that great in that.
I'm sure you'll do well/get close to it ;)

Rawf

HSC
Lmaoo what was the whole point of internal exams if you were the only student then?
And oh, I saw on the news or something there's only 1 person in the state doing a subject (was it Malaysian or something? Idk) . Does that mean they automatically get a "first in the state" award even if they did really crap?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If there are more than 10 000 students enrolled in an HSC course, up to 20 top achiever places can be awarded. This can mean more than 20 students are named as, for example, three students might tie for third place and two for fourth place. For courses with enrolments of between 1001 and 10 000, there are up to 10 places, and for courses with 1000 or less students, there can be up to five top achiever places. If course candidature drops below one of the cut-offs, a decision may be taken to retain the higher number of places for an additional year.
I'm not sure but I don't think it will be included.

Aysce

HSC
I'm not sure but I don't think it will be included.
Agreed - it'd just be unfair to automatically give them a state rank, provided they do poorly. I don't think it'll be applied in this case as you said.

Rawf

HSC
Agreed - it'd just be unfair to automatically give them a state rank, provided they do poorly. I don't think it'll be applied in this case as you said.
But what if the opposite occurred? As in they got an hsc mark over 90? That'd be sad if they didn't give it to them then.. maybe they'd compare them to previous years to see if they met a state rank mark o_o

Aysce

HSC
But what if the opposite occurred? As in they got an hsc mark over 90? That'd be sad if they didn't give it to them then.. maybe they'd compare them to previous years to see if they met a state rank mark o_o
Yeah that could be a possibility - depends on the difficulty of the subject but personally I think they should only give the person in this case a state rank if they get at least 95. Again, I have no idea how hard it is, so 90 could be insanely hard to get and vice versa but that's just my opinion.

It makes sense that they would make comparisons though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)