Singers!!! Performance!!! (1 Viewer)

SarryRoyd

HSC
Hey this is for all singers!! Feel free to tell a little bit about yourself- how long youve been singing, type of singing etc....What are you guys doing for your HSC performance pieces?? Does anyone have any performance tips for singers? :)

Im a Soprano, doing music 1, trained classically for 7 years............

ConcreteAngel

HSC
hey im also saprano... only been taking lessons for 3 years but have participated in many singing events and im usually singing more popular music as my voice is easily trained and usually been told i have perfect voice for all types of music like jazz, musical theater, rock and country etc

mad-triste

HSC
I'm a soprano as well.... taking music 2. I've been taking lessons since - year 8, I think? I forget. I'm actually very bad.

what repetoire are we all doing? I'm doing an insane avant-garde Shakespeare setting for my core, and two arias from Menotti operas for my additional (one of them's insanely coloratura, and I'm lyric... should be fun. /sarcasm.)

SarryRoyd, forgive my ignorance, but if you're classically trained, why aren't you doing music 2?

SunshineJess19

HSC
im jess and im kinda a sop 2/alto
so im guessin every1 has done their choices of their topics?
im doin
Musical, Music fro films, Tv and radio and i think pop mayb
my teacher is stressin me out as well
i have my 1st assment this week....good mornig baltimore lol

hillysbubigirl

HSC
SunshineJess19 said:
im jess and im kinda a sop 2/alto
so im guessin every1 has done their choices of their topics?
im doin
Musical, Music fro films, Tv and radio and i think pop mayb
my teacher is stressin me out as well
i have my 1st assment this week....good mornig baltimore lol

Musical is pretty hard to do if you dont have either good musicians to play for you or a backing track...... i found that out the hard way i managed to get like 6/20 on a musical theatre song cos it all sort of fell apart........ not my proudest moment seeing as I normally average 16/20

BleuBullet

HSC
Hey,

I'm Mehreen, never been formally trained but I sing because I love to & because my parents won't give me lessons. I've taught myself how to play piano and so far the latest thing I can play is a grade 5 piece by ear (not all but most bits...)

I can sing almost every genre, and not afraid of challenges and am open to working with anybody so I can have new experieces and meet great people... The latest challenge that I had was singing "The Prayer" in Italian (and no I am not Italian) for music and I actually did pretty well in it...

I'm doing music 1 and I admire all the people that are my fellow collegues in class and out in NSW...

Good luck Yr 12 2008 :)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
BleuBullet said:
Hey,

I'm Mehreen, never been formally trained but I sing because I love to & because my parents won't give me lessons. I've taught myself how to play piano and so far the latest thing I can play is a grade 5 piece by ear (not all but most bits...)

I can sing almost every genre, and not afraid of challenges and am open to working with anybody so I can have new experieces and meet great people... The latest challenge that I had was singing "The Prayer" in Italian (and no I am not Italian) for music and I actually did pretty well in it...

I'm doing music 1 and I admire all the people that are my fellow collegues in class and out in NSW...

Good luck Yr 12 2008 :)
lol....riverside.

Katie-Anne207

HSC
Hey...Im a soprano and have been classically trained for about 10 years ( i started at 8 and slowly worked my way up)...
However after a major and very bad throat and chest infection about 2 years ago, ive had to basically start again from scratch which sucked majorly!!

For my HSC im doing Theatre Music (Still Hurting), 20th and 21st Century (In Old Mexico and Power of your Love), Music of a culture- British Isles (Scots song)

My only piece of advice (which was given to me by my teacher who helped me start again after my illness) would be, push yourself as hard as you can, without hurting yourself!, right up to about 2 weeks before the performance..then pull it back a bit...you'll find that you then are able to feel so comfortable with the songs that you'll be able to perform them from the heart.

I hope that made sense! Sorry if it didnt!

Break a leg all!! :)

Cerry

HSC
^Well, I just keep running into people I know here. Hey Eb.

I've been involved with choirs (including an 18 month stint in the national children's choir) for about 10 years now, but have only been taking lessons for about 2 years. Mostly classical training, with bits and pieces thrown in on the side (what I really enjoy is rock, but I sound awful when I try to sing it)

I'm doing music 1, with 4 performances.
Sento Nel Core (possibly Scarletti...can't be bothered looking it up)
What I Did For Love, from Chorus Line
I Get A Kick Out Of You (God only knows which version)
Honey To The Bee - Billie Piper (with a slight possibility of a change to Walking On Sunshine)

CharleyAlekz

HSC
My names Charley. I've been singing since year 8. I'm doin Music 1. I'm doing 3 performances. I'm a soprano 1 but I can reach down to some tenor notes.

I've got like 1 deffinate performance piece which is Shine by Hilary Duff.
My main 3 maybe pieces are;
- Kiss the Girl from the Little Mermaid
- Dreaming Wide Awake by Jason Robert Brown
- Good Enough by Evanescence

I've also got a couple that my teacher likes and wants me to do but I HATE them lol.. they're;
- Winter Light by Linda Ronstadt
- Bewitched by someone i don't remember

whats everyone else doin??

Amps

HSC
Good Enough. I love it!

Music 2 and Extension - all perf, voice. I've just listed my pieces in another post and honestly can't be too bothered (maths extension exam tomorrow, absolutely have not studied and should probably get a move on!), so please forgive my inevitable typos:

Moon Spirit // Dorothy Mewes (Music 2 Core Australian)
Un Moto di Gioia from "Le Nozze di Figaro" // Mozart
Now The Dancing Sunbeams Play // Haydn

Extension:
Let Me Wander Not Unseen // Handel
An Den Mond (Holty lib.) // Schubert
La Regatta Veneziana (ensemble) // Rossini

I've been learning for about 11 years now - classically trained but my real passion lies in theatre. Up until about year 9 I thought I wanted to be a dancer, but I had to quit because I got the lead role in the school musical and rehearsals clashed...never went back, unfortunately. But as you can see, I haven't really been focused on music until about then. I did a course at the Con the following year [accompanied by a change in singing teacher] to get myself back in shape.

kind of regretting not doing music 1 right now, it just sounds like so much fun. and I'd love to do some theatre but my teachers don't seem convinced that theatre is challenging enough for music 2? :s

sorry for ranting!

Tallio

HSC
Im Tahlee..

Doing music 1.
Have been singing for about 3-4 years. Not had any lessons, though i think my music teacher is pretty good help.

So far my song choices are

Don't Speak - No Doubt
Nightminds - Missy Higgins
You're So Vain - Carly Simons.

Not too sure on my final piece yet.

=D

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Where are all the guys?

I'm a bass, and have been singing since i was 9 or 10.
Grew up mostly around contemporary choral music, toured when i was younger with varying national children's choirs etc.
I sing soul, gutsy blues and i like a bit of smooth jazz but nothing too perky.
Thinking of doing an Eran James song for core topic next year in Music 2.

bored of sc

HSC
I'm a baritone (I think) vocalist although I don't really know (since I don't get lessons or sing in choirs).

I'm into Coldplay and other popular music (that has musicality i.e. not that techno-ish, ridiculously repetitive stuff). Rock is also good.

I'm currently working on 'Hey There Delilah' by the Plain White T's and 'No Aphrodisiac' by the Whitlams.

I hope to get 95% in performance so I'm ready to work hard at it.

becibu

HSC
Hey! ... I've been singing for ... 2 years ... well I've had lessons for two years. If choir counts then I was in a children's choir since I was 7. (that adds to ... 10 years) I just did my grade 8 singing exam and I passed! I'm a soprano and I do music1 ... haven't picked my pieces though!

Last edited:

Sayangliss

HSC
becibu said:
Hey! ... I've been singing for ... 2 years ... well I've had lessons for two years. If choir counts then I was in a choir since I was 7. I just did my grade 8 singing exam and I passed! I'm a soprano and I do music1 ... haven't picked my pieces though!
If you don't mind me asking, which singing exam is this? I only know of AMEB which provides up to grade 4 for all areas of vocal.

becibu

HSC
Sayangliss said:
If you don't mind me asking, which singing exam is this? I only know of AMEB which provides up to grade 4 for all areas of vocal.
Sure, Trinity Guildhall Exams ... they are also known as Trinity college. That statement of AMEB providing up to Grade 4 in all areas of vocal is not true. If you read the syllabus, AMEB provides singing up to Fellowship level like all other instruments. I was going to do an AMEB exam but chose Trinity as the repertoire suited me better.

If you chose to do Contemporary Performance in Music (AMEB) then that goes up to grade 4. However singing for Leisure and Series go up to grade 8. Alternatively you can take St. Celia exams, ABRSM, ANZCA or AGEM for singing exams, they all go up to grade 8 and some have a fellowship or equivalent.

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)