Significance!?!?! (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
Apparently, for bio we have to pretend are assisting Urey and Miller in their experiment.
Has anyone ever done a task related to Urey-Miller??

I sort of understand the experiment..but its the significance i am unsure about.
And.. there is a q that states; explain the importance of the experiment to uncovering the origin of life..as well as explain how it contributed to a better understanding on the origin of life. (arent these two q's practically the same!?!?)

--
oh and one last thing..how do you study for bio. cos i rewrote the textbook, but my bio teacher reckons its not the best way, and so does a friend who used to do bio.

HELP O.O

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You make a summary for bio and read it.

The answer to the question; think what hypothesis they tested and what the results were, then you'd know the significance.

Aysce

HSC
Well I just learnt the experiment recently, but it's significance is that it simulates the early environment of earth, and uses organic molecules and compounds ( Eg CH4 , NH3, H2O, H2) to react together and demonstrates how these basic chemicals came to create the foundation in which life first started/ the basis of chemicals which started life. I hope I helped you but you should confirm with your teacher.

tearsdontfall

HSC
Significance:
- they demonstrated the way science works (making a hypothesis, and testing it via experiments). 30 years later after they hypothesis - the experiment was conducted.
- the experiment results supported the hypothesis by proving all early Earth conditions could make necessary molecules needed for life.

With other evidence like space exploration and ancient rocks and fossils; the experiment's just one part of evidence that seems to be consistent with the idea life formed naturally on the primitive Earth some 4 bya, and has evolved into what we see today.

To study - read the textbook, look at the dot points in the syllabus and summarise - really concise because you know, bio has lots of content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)