Should I take Music in Yr 11? (1 Viewer)

Kudos

HSC
Hey everyone, I am at the point of deciding my subjects for the preliminary year, and I'm interested in taking either Music 1 or Music 2.

I took my AMEB 6th grade exam in 2004 and received an Honours (A) but I never actually passed the grade officially.(I have never done theory exams).
The highest grade that I have officially passed is 5.
I have previously completed a grade 2 practice theory exam and passed it. (yes i know it's only grade 2.. FAIL)

I have now spent from Yr 7-10 doing hardly any piano and not preparing for any exams etc, although in Yr 7 I learnt some songs from my AMEB 7th grade book.

I still have skills as a pianist and I am currrently learning Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin.

Would you recommend that I take a music subject? If so, which course ? 1 or 2?
Thank you for your advice!!! ^^

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Yeah, go for it. There were people in my music 1 class with less musical expertise/experience than you, and they did fine. I play piano too, and am about 5th grade, but I've never taken a formal exam (well, you could say that my HSC performance last year was the first official examination of my piano playing). If you've played as well as 6th grade before, with a little work you can definitely recover that, I reckon - you might be a bit rusty, but soon the skills come back to you. :)

HSC
Hey everyone, I am at the point of deciding my subjects for the preliminary year, and I'm interested in taking either Music 1 or Music 2.

I took my AMEB 6th grade exam in 2004 and received an Honours (A) but I never actually passed the grade officially.(I have never done theory exams).
The highest grade that I have officially passed is 5.
I have previously completed a grade 2 practice theory exam and passed it. (yes i know it's only grade 2.. FAIL)

I have now spent from Yr 7-10 doing hardly any piano and not preparing for any exams etc, although in Yr 7 I learnt some songs from my AMEB 7th grade book.

I still have skills as a pianist and I am currrently learning Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin.

Would you recommend that I take a music subject? If so, which course ? 1 or 2?
Thank you for your advice!!! ^^
do music2

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
considering you're learning fantaisie impromptu atm, i think you're up to the performance standards of music 2. however, you might need to polish up your theory/mship (its recommended that you understand abot grade5 theory level before you do the music2 course)

good luck with it! music for hsc is BEST :D

Kudos

HSC
considering you're learning fantaisie impromptu atm, i think you're up to the performance standards of music 2. however, you might need to polish up your theory/mship (its recommended that you understand abot grade5 theory level before you do the music2 course)

good luck with it! music for hsc is BEST :D
woah.. grade 5 musicianship ? i suck at theory so bad... is there anyone out there that has survived music 2 without that much musicianship/theory knowledge before they started?
btw thank you all for your advice!

Concerti

HSC
woah.. grade 5 musicianship ? i suck at theory so bad... is there anyone out there that has survived music 2 without that much musicianship/theory knowledge before they started?
btw thank you all for your advice!
I know a few people who only did the performance part of the ameb grades..

Grade 5 musicianship isnt really necessary..probably exaggerating

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school keeps wanting me to continue on with Music 1... (since they won't offer Music 2 for some god damn blasted reason)... I'm not sure whether I should bother keeping Music 1 as one of my electives? :S

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
I know a few people who only did the performance part of the ameb grades..

Grade 5 musicianship isnt really necessary..probably exaggerating
you need

grade 6 theory/musicianship for lmus
grade 5 theory/musicianship for amus
grade 4 theory/musicianship for grade 8
grade 3 theory/musicianship for grade 7
grade 2 theory/musicianship for grade 6

etc

Concerti

HSC
you need

grade 6 theory/musicianship for lmus
grade 5 theory/musicianship for amus
grade 4 theory/musicianship for grade 8
grade 3 theory/musicianship for grade 7
grade 2 theory/musicianship for grade 6

etc
You took what I said out of context..

You don't need grade five theory for HSC

HSC
lol..concerti has lmus in violin and amus in piano

i think it would be safe to assume she knows her stuff

current music 2 class..i bet 95% of the class dont even have grade 1 theory

typo

HSC
i say do 1... cause you need all this theory knowledge foundated in years 7-10 of music
such as tone colour, texture, pitch etc. stuff.
if you can play good, it doesn't really help that much

or... you could do 2.
and work heaps hard at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)