I currently do:

Mathematics 6/15
IPT 1/12
Software design and development 1/12
Adv english 4/15
Chemistry 3/6
IT 1/10

Around 500 school rank...

It's such a high work load for me. I'm not sure as to whether to drop down to general mathematics, or drop from chemistry to senior science. Or, should i just stick it out, and hope that i don't do too badly in one of the two.

I'm not doing the best at mathematics and chem, but the computer classes i'm doing great. Aiming for an 80 Atar. Not sure whether dropping a subject would affect it ALOT or not. I want to keep the 12 units just for the safety of blowing an exam. IT is basically a free for me anyway, i spend the majority of class time doing IPT/SDD work.

What's your opinions?

Also, mathematics band 5 is assumed knowledge for the university degree i'm aiming for, so would it be better to sit in mathematics and hopefully scrape into the band 5? Or drop to general and get a band 6?

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Well, since you need Maths for uni, I would probably keep it. If you feel like you are struggling with the workload in chemistry, then I would probably drop down to senior science.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, since you need Maths for uni, I would probably keep it. If you feel like you are struggling with the workload in chemistry, then I would probably drop down to senior science.
the senior science workload probably isn't that much of a drop for the difference in scaling. :/

enoilgam

HSC
the senior science workload probably isn't that much of a drop for the difference in scaling. :/
From what I've heard, senior science is a lot easier than chemistry. Besides, since the OP's aim is around 80, I dont think scaling needs to be of much consideration. Personally, I think they would be better off lightening their workload.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
From what I've heard, senior science is a lot easier than chemistry. Besides, since the OP's aim is around 80, I dont think scaling needs to be of much consideration. Personally, I think they would be better off lightening their workload.
Sorry, i forgot to say, my school rank is only around 500...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've heard - senior science is a lot easier than chemistry. Besides, since the OP's aim is around 80, I dont think scaling needs to be of much consideration.
It's a lot EASIER but the syllabi are like the same length, so the workload would be the same for an averagish student.
A 75 in chemistry scales to about an 81 ATAR and a 75 in senior science scales to about 50.

enoilgam

HSC
It's a lot EASIER but the syllabi are like the same length, so the workload would be the same for an averagish student.
A 75 in chemistry scales to about an 81 ATAR and a 75 in senior science scales to about 50.
An easier syllabus would take less time to master and place far less pressure on the OP. Obviously balancing the risks and rewards of scaling with both subjects is a key consideration, but given the aims of the OP, I would take the easier option overall which I think is senior science. That's the view and strategy I would take I guess - what you're saying is a valid consideration as well.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
An easier syllabus would take less time to master and place far less pressure on the OP. Obviously balancing the risks and rewards of scaling with both subjects is a key consideration, but given the aims of the OP, I would take the easier option overall which I think is senior science. That's the view and strategy I would take I guess - what you're saying is a valid consideration as well.
Do you both believe that this is still the case with a school rank of around 500? Would it be better to keep both, and pull averageish 60s or so in both subjects?

enoilgam

HSC
Do you both believe that this is still the case with a school rank of around 500? Would it be better to keep both, and pull averageish 60s or so in both subjects?
It's hard to say because the internal marks are moderated by BoS. At a school ranked around 500, the highest ATAR can vary from somewhere in the 80's to somewhere in the 90's. To be honest, on second look, you might be better off keeping chemistry for now as from the looks of your ranks, you might need some more scaling power. But if you feel confident that you can do a lot better in senior science, then you should jump ship.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
they're already a topic into year 12 and the op wouldn't know year 11 senior science

That's at least 7 weeks of catching up and then learning along with the class.

I still believe my way is better.

~35% in the HSC exam for Chem will probably get you ~60 and around 50% for senior science would do the same.

enoilgam

HSC
they're already a topic into year 12 and the op wouldn't know year 11 senior science

True (didnt think about that). OP, I think it might be best to hold on to chemistry, you may need the scaling power given your school ranking and overall rankings.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
True (didnt think about that). OP, I think it might be best to hold on to chemistry, you may need the scaling power given your school ranking and overall rankings.
Thanks mate. I'm gonna stick it out. In the long run, it also looks better to have mathematics on your HSC rather than general. Same with chem. Thanks again man, all the best :)

I still believe my way is better.

~35% in the HSC exam for Chem will probably get you ~60 and around 50% for senior science would do the same.
What would a 60 or so raw give?

Same for possibly mathematics?

I know this is getting somewhat off topic, but would appreciate if you could estimate.

enoilgam

HSC
What would a 60 or so raw give?

Same for possibly mathematics?

I know this is getting somewhat off topic, but would appreciate if you could estimate.
Looking at the raw mark database, a 60 in chemistry and maths (in previous years, maths was out of 120, so I looked at percentages) would probably align up to around an 80/100. Obviously, this can vary from year to year.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Looking at the raw mark database, a 60 in chemistry and maths (in previous years, maths was out of 120, so I looked at percentages) would probably align up to around an 80/100. Obviously, this can vary from year to year.
Of course. Thankyou mate. Any chance you could link me to this raw mark database, or is it an administration/premium access database only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)