Should i drop my standard english? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
The head of English recommended me to drop to standard if I get <12/15 for my next assessment. I'm don't even care about English at this point because I've been stressing all year about getting into advance and my school really only gets about 15 students in the b5 range and 2-4 students in the b6 range every year, and since our science and maths faculties are the stronger, i'd probably have more time to work on my other subjects/hobbies if I dropped to standard tbh.

My other subjects are ext 1 maths, chemistry, physics and economics and im hoping to score well enough to get in the atar range of ~94 to study chemical engineering at UNSW. Any suggestions guys?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Don't drop to standard, bad scaling

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't drop to standard English, you will have to work even harder to get that Band 6-it has a very poor scaling, you need to care about English-it is the only compulsory subjects that count towards your HSC, perhaps find a tutor or someone to help you, you really need to spend more time in English-what your school gets every year does not mean what your cohort will get-if you succumb to that belief that this year will be like last year or the year before, then the same result will occur, but if you work hard, and the rest of your cohort works hard, results can change/improve dramatically, no matter how good you are at your other subjects, if you are not good at English-It will pull you down, so spend more time in English and practice more to pull your results up-please don't drop to standard English unless you are forced to, you will diminish your opportunities significantly in getting your desired ATAR-work hard and best wishes for the year:)

Never give up on English, like ever:)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the advice guys but I don't know if they can force us into taking English standard, I was stressed all year about it and now, even knowing that English is compulsory and counts for 1/5 of our atar, I just don't have any motivation because being told Im not good enough for advance from a teacher looking at my overall score (messed up in multiple choice therefore dragged my average down from 81% to about ~73%)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Use this as incentive to work harder in advanced! If you do moderately well in advanced, it's roughly equivalent to doing (very) well in standard because of how standard aligns/scales. Prove to the teachers you're good enough for it and essentially show them off haha :p

I'm sure there's lots of people on BoS who would help you out if you're really struggling with English. Best of luck!

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Use this as incentive to work harder in advanced! If you do moderately well in advanced, it's roughly equivalent to doing (very) well in standard because of how standard aligns/scales. Prove to the teachers you're good enough for it and essentially show them off haha :p

I'm sure there's lots of people on BoS who would help you out if you're really struggling with English. Best of luck!
well I have an exam next Wednesday on the film psycho which most likely proves my capabilities and im on this forum, so I think its a good indicator of how motivated I am for English rn... I know all you BoS are friendly and take time out of your day to help me but I feel bad because what if I don't make it and just waste your time...

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
If you drop to Standard you won't be anymore motivated then before,the subject doesn't exactly get that much easier,even more so you will be pulled down by bthers who are just as unmotivated(which is alot more in standard then Advanced).Just keep doing Advanced,stuff the recommendation,tell them you don't want to and that's that. You obiviously have an interest in English if you decided to do Ext1 Eng, so just flow with that.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well I have an exam next Wednesday on the film psycho which most likely proves my capabilities and im on this forum, so I think its a good indicator of how motivated I am for English rn... I know all you BoS are friendly and take time out of your day to help me but I feel bad because what if I don't make it and just waste your time...
1)You have an exam next Wednesday on the film psycho
-one exam does not prove your capabilities, nor does being on this forum highlights how motivated/unmotivated you are for English
-make sure you have your analysis, visual techniques, ideas completed for the film in relation to your module/area of study
-Try to finish a practice essay and email it to your teacher for marking, or if you already have, write another practice essay based on the feedback and comments your teacher has given you
-ask on the relevant forums if you want anyone to look over your practice runs over the weekend-remember to do it under EXAM CONDITIONS

2)You feel bad because you are worried if you don't make it and just waste the time of others helping you
-Stop worrying about failing, and start visualising on yourself succeeding and start taking proactive steps to resolve your stress and goals-i.e. by following the steps above
-There is no need to feel bad if you are willing to give everything, including English your best shot and try all methods you can to improve your results and interest in this subject through persistent practicing and understanding which will certainly improve your marks
-You have nothing to worry about with so many people on Bos forums, these include experienced teachers, university students, past HSC students and current and future HSC students to support you-you will never be without any support-use it wisely, ask questions, get help, stop stressing
-Since you intend on doing English extension one, it is absolutely vital you grasp essential essay writing skills and analytical thinking, don't let one bad exam result impede your interest, one single comment to put you down-try your best in your upcoming exam and you have not waste anyone's time.

To succeed in English, and indeed in life, it is all about listening and acting on good advice(including criticisms of your work), trying hard and never, EVER, give up-I wish you all the best for doing well in your assessment next week and beyond:)

Last edited:

Imjusthereforso

HSC
Me and my mate were in the same boat, and we both ended up doing English Advanced for the prelim year, but at the end we both dropped to standard.

Come the HSC we both got 81 in standard english, with ATARs of 92.80 and 96.50.

Standard English was a lot less work, with around half the texts needed of advanced and they were much shorter and easier to remember.

So it doesn't matter if its a "low scaling subject", just do what ever is easier for you and will allow you to get your highest marks.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do it~

Standard isn't less work if you want to get above 84. ~~~~

enoilgam

HSC
I'd invest more time into Advanced. I dont think the marginal difference in difficulty is worth the risk associated with Standard's poor aligning.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
By the way: Why is your heading: Should I drop my Standard English rather than Should I drop to Standard English? Is your English so poor?

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
By the way: Why is your heading: Should I drop my Standard English rather than Should I drop to Standard English? Is your English so poor?
Whoops, my bad hahaha im typing all of this from a phone so i cant tell if itll auto correct or i just blank for a second and write something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)