should i drop maths ext 2 (1 Viewer)

iluvmax

HSC
okay, my maths isn't horrible, but its not GREAT.
what i mean is i get above class average (im in 2nd class), but in our school (BHHS), there is a huuge disparity between 1st & 2nd.

i feel pretty dumb rite now doing complex no.s, & everyone in my class is like "ive done this in tuition...lalalaa" & im fully stressed about everything.

maths is killing me.

the only pros of doing 4u is the "scaling" but im not sure if ill do as well in 4u than 2u maths, WITH scaling.

cud someone explain scaling & if its relli worth all this?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
it is a rewarding subject and it scales really really well.

wait until the first topic test/assessment task comes and then decide
dont drop it now.

persistence is the key

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
okay, my maths isn't horrible, but its not GREAT.
what i mean is i get above class average (im in 2nd class), but in our school (BHHS), there is a huuge disparity between 1st & 2nd.

i feel pretty dumb rite now doing complex no.s, & everyone in my class is like "ive done this in tuition...lalalaa" & im fully stressed about everything.

maths is killing me.

the only pros of doing 4u is the "scaling" but im not sure if ill do as well in 4u than 2u maths, WITH scaling.

cud someone explain scaling & if its relli worth all this?
Scaling in 4U is phenomenal. A mark of approximately 85 is equivalent to a low-band 6 in a subject like biology and it's a hell of a lot easier to get 85 in 4U.

Also, the RAW marks people get for Extension II are probably not what you expect. Past trends say you need about 80/120 to be certain for an E4 in 4U.

boganxcore

HSC
wait a bit at least - theres always time to drop if your marks start slipping

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
past students say to not do 4u just because of the scaling
Nope, we say not to do it ONLY for the scaling because you need to be good at maths. If you can manage at least 60% in 4U, keep it because with the scaling and the aligning it'll go a long way to boosting you ATAR.

And don't worry about those who have learnt ahead as they don't have that much of an advantage. If you can learn in class then that should be enough and with you being 2nd in 4U maths, it means that you certainly are handling it well so far.

MetroMattums

HSC
You just need to reallocate your time to 4U - if you need help ask your friends or people on this forum.

Don't drop it just yet. Wait until your assessments and half-yearlies to see how you go first.

C_Hanna

HSC
I do extension 2 mathematics for self-assurance. Btw if you're clocking marks between 60-80 stay in the class because the scaling is better than a 90 in 2 unit.

The Engineer

HSC
You get a huge sense of satisfaction from completing the 4u course and continuing it into your hsc. The ATAR is just a mark, and if you wanna do better in uni (depending on your course), the more you know about maths the better.

zaefr

HSC
Nope, we say not to do it ONLY for the scaling because you need to be good at maths. If you can manage at least 60% in 4U, keep it because with the scaling and the aligning it'll go a long way to boosting you ATAR.

sorry thats wat i meant, me failzors at english haha

Monsterman

HSC
Scaling in 4U is phenomenal. A mark of approximately 85 is equivalent to a low-band 6 in a subject like biology and it's a hell of a lot easier to get 85 in 4U.

Also, the RAW marks people get for Extension II are probably not what you expect. Past trends say you need about 80/120 to be certain for an E4 in 4U.
Note that it is not easy to actually achieve 80/120.. you need practice..

Only stay if you are doing okay in it. DONT let it effect your other subjects.. If you are planning to drop then stay until your school finished teaching integration and graphing.. thats just my opinion.. cause they were easier compared with complex.. then decide.. again

Tofuu

HSC
see how well you do in your assesment, if you get a result that your teacher thinks is bad, drop it, otherwise keep it

Joga Bonito

HSC
I was in a position similar to you, i wasn't sure whether to contionue extension 2 maths, because many of my peers had already done it at tutoring and 4uit homework seemed to take up most of my time. However, i stuck with it, and i would recomend that you do too. Many people in my grade were put off by complex numbers, and thus dropped it, but it is definitely the hardest subject in the 4unit course. everything else is simply and extension of extension 1 mathematics. give it a go, and only if you're really struggling (as in, you just don't get it AT ALL) drop it.
getting an 80 in extension 2 is not incredibly difficult to get, yet it will help your ATAR greatly.

math man

HSC
N/A
i jus finished complex numbers, they are not that hard, the basics anyways,
but some questions are really nasty, if u keep at it then im sure you could
do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)