Should I drop EES and do 10 units? (1 Viewer)

Hopp

HSC
So at the moment I'm doing 12 units: 4U English, Bio, Geo, Ancient and EES.
I have been debating for a while now if it's best to drop EES and do 10 units, based on the following reasons:

-The second lot of free periods would DEFINITELY help me a lot, especially with ex.2 English
-I'm aware of how badly EES scales, even though it is a science, its is extremely content heavy and doesn't compensate for this in scaling
-My teacher is teaching EES in the HSC for his first time, and is basically learning the subject with us, trust me it's horrid. He still tries the best he can, but it's just not working at all
-I somehow "bombed out" in the 1st assessment and got 80%, meaning my ranking is not all great
-I personally don't like the concept of studying a subject for the entire year, spending time that could have been spent working for other subjects on a subject that won't even count towards my ATAR

So what do you guys think? From your experience/knowledge would you suggest that dropping EES is a good idea? If so, why?
The main thing holding me back from dropping is my uncertainty for ex.2 English. We're still in the early stages of our major work and although I am confident in my piece, I am unsure if I am sanguine enough to "risk" my ATAR on it. Does anyone know how well ex.2 pieces are marked and what not?

Thanks for any answers, much appreciated.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would highly advise you to drop EES-why keep a subject that you don't like. I had a similar experience in year 11 when I had a chemistry teacher who was teaching chemistry for the first time, he was a biology teacher, and it is quite terrible even though he did tried his best. Although the notion of taking responsibility for your own learning resonates very well in senior years, but having an experienced teacher can make quite some difference. Just have faith in your English extension two work and focus your energy into boosting up your 10 units as high as you possibly can. Best wishes for you to ace your studies this year:)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I hear of so many people doing well with just 10 units of study.

There seems to be such a stigma around doing 10 units. If you want to drop the subject and you're confident in the other 10, do so.

Hopp

HSC
I would highly advise you to drop EES-why keep a subject that you don't like. I had a similar experience in year 11 when I had a chemistry teacher who was teaching chemistry for the first time, he was a biology teacher, and it is quite terrible even though he did tried his best. Although the notion of taking responsibility for your own learning resonates very well in senior years, but having an experienced teacher can make quite some difference. Just have faith in your English extension two work and focus your energy into boosting up your 10 units as high as you possibly can. Best wishes for you to ace your studies this year:)
Thanks heaps, I agree with the responsibility concern, but yes I think the teacher is much more potent.

enoilgam

HSC
-I personally don't like the concept of studying a subject for the entire year, spending time that could have been spent working for other subjects on a subject that won't even count towards my ATAR
This is pretty much the best reason for dropping a subject. If you are confident that a subject wont count towards your ATAR (either because of your performance or your dislike for the subject), there is no point in keeping it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)