Should I drop down to general?... [Opinions Wanted] (1 Viewer)

Vandalism

HSC
Yeah I know lots of people before me have come and found themselves in this predicament. Currently I'm doing 12 units of study and I'm not really expecting my math units to count for the HSC as I can not be bothered to put in the time and effort for it.

However, this is where it clashes, I'm looking to do something IT related in Uni, and ofc most Unis list Mathematics as assumed knowledge.

I'm not hopeless at mathematics, I just don't like spending time learning things I know I will never again use. Number plane, anyone? u_u Thus, maths gets neglected whilst I own up in all my other subjects.

That and my current maths teacher is an absolute nazi. She's been dropping subtle hints she wants me out of her class if I don't become a wonder-student come next assessment.

I mean, I've heard of people dropping to general and getting good marks as it's easier to handle, and doing some form of maths in my opinion is better than doing none at all. But I don't know, should I just stick it out in Mathematics and continue barely passing (I got 50% on my last test) or just drop down to general?

Opinions, past life stories, ANYTHING that could help me make up my mind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PC

HSC
N/A
You've probably answered your own question. If you're not willing to put in the work, then you're not going to go well whether you do 2 unit Maths or General Maths. Sure, you might get a better mark in General than 2 unit, but unless you get a Band 6 result (and a good one at that) it's not going to get scaled well by the Universities. And you can only get a good Band 6 result by putting in the hard work.

NEVER fall into the trap that a subject won't count for your HSC because you never know how you'll go. The only time that ever happens is if you don't do the subject at all.

If you're going to change, change ASAP. If you're in Year 12, you'll be surprised at how much work you'll need to make up in missed topics - even now.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well its up to you, even tho im not in year 12 (just started year 11) I'm planning on going on to 4 unit maths... but I want to put in the effort... as for you, you should just drop down to general, because from what i've heard its pretty much what you use in real life and its easier so you can put in less effort and get more marks etc....

Still aim high for the hsc and try to get high band 6 for general if you do drop down.. I mean getting high band 6 in general is better then getting a low band 5 for 2 unit maths (advance)

layzeehbum

HSC
The thing is if you don't want to be bothered studying maths... den why not drop it althogether and just do 10 units? Never ever think that maths might not be counted coz it happens to me before but with physics... I knew that i really gonna screw it up - I jigged classes and dont even bother trying. IN the end, physics counted as my best 10 units instead of economics which I thought was my best subject! I asked why it is so, and they simply said that it's the scaling system - since it's harder for physics ppl to get the mark I had and it's easier for other eco ppl to get the eco mark I had, and so physics is the one that counts.... It sucks a lot coz then if i knew this earlier, i would be really focused on physics...
So yeah, my advice to you is to either:
- keep all the 12 units even though you know that 2 units wont be counted but its good to have a back-up subject just in case
- drop maths altogether and so you will have 10 units. try to do your best in all these subjects since all of them counts towards ur UAI

bsides the IT courses only mention maths as recommended knowledge right? they are not prereqs? you still can do bridging courses as well 2 make for the maths part in uni

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
note that assumed knowledge usually doesn't include general maths when referring to maths. you might want to check that before you do anything.

LordPc

HSC
note that assumed knowledge usually doesn't include general maths when referring to maths. you might want to check that before you do anything.
If you want to do IT in university then maths will probably be assumed knowledge. so you should keep 2u and step up your game. if you are serious about wanting to do IT at uni, then you are going to have to do some maths eventually so its best to do it now during the hsc and being properly ready for uni

and just a note, general maths is not really maths (apologies to all those doing general). its not considered maths at university. if a course requires maths it will also say general maths is not enough

so yea, keep 2u maths and just put in more effort. HSC is a fair while away so you can still do very well if you really want to

Vandalism

HSC
Thanks for your replies everyone. I know that general doesn't count as the standard of prereq/assumed knowledge mathematics for Uni. I've been checking out bridging courses and the like so that's definitely an option if I do drop down. Like someone posted: eventually I will have to do mathematics.

What I would like to know if anyone could help me find out is what sort of mathematics will I be required to know for IT? I know algorithms will need to be learned... and what else?

I understand calculus quite well, which if I've heard right is a big benefit as calculus goes on to be very important. If I knew what sort of mathematics my course would be requiring I could just drop down and self teach + get a tutor to prep me for Uni.

Once again, thank you everyone!

savio23q

Band
HSC
Just drop to general. Get 85+ and all will be sweet.
Bridging course afterwards is an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)