Should i drop Chem? (1 Viewer)

theone4

HSC
I'm 60% sure I want to do Medicine when i finish school, and so the only reason I took Chem was that I heard from everywhere that it is a prerequisite to study Med.

But i hate it, it's the worst subject i picked, and i want to drop it.

Is it really necessary for med?
or am i safe to drop it?

HSC
Yes. Drop it asap.
Even now if you can.
Like, ring up the school reception and drop it or something this moment.

Chem is the worst. I dropped it at the end of prelims...I endured hell, thanks to my teacher. Turned off the sciences forever.

HSC
Medicine is not for you my friend. Do not feel pressured to do it because it is prestigous, do what you want - you'll be happier.

If you hate chemistry, I really advise you to drop it. It will depress you.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Yeah +1

If you dont like it, just drop it. Its a prerequisite in Monash (I think), but its not in UNSW and UWS.
It may not be a prerequisite at unsw, but you'll probably end up doing the chem bridging course if you're going into medicine- heck any science degree at unsw, as you have to do some form of chem in first year anyway.

But honestly, if you hate chemistry that much, I'd advise you to drop it as well, as it seems that it's bringing your morale down, which will eventually affect your other courses. Remember, in uni, there is still the chemistry bridging course that you can do.

awaitingtrain

HSC
Universities have prerequisites: FALSE
Universities dumped prerequisites in the 60's, they only have assumed knowledge and/or recommended studies.

You can do a bridging course: TRUE!!

If you hate a subject you will inherently do very very bad in it, personally i love chemistry but if you don't like it then drop it. You can do a bridging course for medicine related chemistry after you get your HSC :)

And in my experience 60% is a very weak percentage, you may change your mind and regret it completely later on. I was 65% sure I wanted to do Physics for engineering. OH HOW WRONG I WAS.

Goodluck.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah a bridging course.... of chemistry.

I don't see the logic in that.

muzeikchun852

HSC
You can do a bridging course: TRUE!!

If you hate a subject you will inherently do very very bad in it, personally i love chemistry but if you don't like it then drop it. You can do a bridging course for medicine related chemistry after you get your HSC :)
wats the point of doing a bridging course when u can do it at school at the fraction of the price? a bridging course at uni costs like 200 dollars [something around that]. think about it before u drop the course.

ps. chemistry is related to medicine. if u hates chemistry now, please double check that medicine is the course wat u want.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Universities have prerequisites: FALSE
Universities dumped prerequisites in the 60's, they only have assumed knowledge and/or recommended studies.
Nope, my tutor had a friend who went to an interview for Medicine at Monash, who was a 98+ UAI student. They asked her if she did Chemistry in High School. She said no. Interview ends right there.

mioumiou

HSC
wats the point of doing a bridging course when u can do it at school at the fraction of the price? a bridging course at uni costs like 200 dollars [something around that]. think about it before u drop the course.

ps. chemistry is related to medicine. if u hates chemistry now, please double check that medicine is the course wat u want.
+1, I think you can only drop the subjects (if you want a change before this Friday) so think about it if you like Chem or not. And medicine does have a lot of links between the medicine course. :idea:

maths94

HSC
Yes. Drop it asap.
Even now if you can.
Like, ring up the school reception and drop it or something this moment.

Chem is the worst. I dropped it at the end of prelims...I endured hell, thanks to my teacher. Turned off the sciences forever.
Wow! No offence but that is really crap feedback. You are giving your personal opinion. You should give your opinion from a neutral point of view. Just cause you hate chemistry do not advice others to take your steps.

HSC
Wow! No offence but that is really crap feedback. You are giving your personal opinion. You should give your opinion from a neutral point of view. Just cause you hate chemistry do not advice others to take your steps.
Yeah, so what? It's my experience, and I'm sharing it.

chem is shit chem is shit la la chem is shit.

The op hates it. Why keep something you hate?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chem is not technically a prerequisite, but if you don't do High School chem and you jump right into medicine, you're so fucked. Every second word will be alien to you.

Many people say crap like 'take a bridging course' or something like that but I strongly suggest you don't. Two years of chemistry at school is much better than two weeks at some centre. You will develop a much better understanding of concepts required in university.

If you don't like chem, you will certainly NOT like Medicine. People think that Medicine at uni is all diseases and crap, but that is incorrect. You still even need to do mathematics in medicine, despite the fact that it has little to do with the actual subject.

Chemistry is not named a prerequisite, but you'd be naive not to have an understanding of it when doing Med.

Trust BOS on this one. Med is not for you if you don't like chem.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Chem is not technically a prerequisite, but if you don't do High School chem and you jump right into medicine, you're so fucked. Every second word will be alien to you.

Many people say crap like 'take a bridging course' or something like that but I strongly suggest you don't. Two years of chemistry at school is much better than two weeks at some centre. You will develop a much better understanding of concepts required in university.

If you don't like chem, you will certainly NOT like Medicine. People think that Medicine at uni is all diseases and crap, but that is incorrect. You still even need to do mathematics in medicine, despite the fact that it has little to do with the actual subject.

Chemistry is not named a prerequisite, but you'd be naive not to have an understanding of it when doing Med.

Trust BOS on this one. Med is not for you if you don't like chem.
And your opinion is so reliable why?

You've pretty much just repeated what everyone else just wrote and bagged out an experience you've never had.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
i strongly advise dropping chem.
If you dont like you will only hate it more when it becomes difficult ....and believe me IT WILL! plus to suceed in chem you need to be extremely devoted to it (dont let high scaling fool you) and if you hate it you wont be. Plus why waste time on a subject that wont be part of your counted ten units that will ultimately ruin your morale. Choose a course of interest that you will enjoy and life will be so much easier! Oh and medicine is extremelly hard to get into, why take a place away from a passionate studend if you are sitting at 60%???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)