Should I drop 2U Maths? (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Plenty of people from my school have managed a band 6 in general. It doesn't seem too hard to do.
But generally Band 6 in General Mathematics isn't that impressive since in most years they cap the HSC aligned mark at around 92 to prevent people from 'dumbing down'.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
^ Well I haven't done the test for the topic yet but I don't think I'm so far as to failing.
if you havent done the test, then stop worrying!
see how you go in the test. Dont drop it even if you FAIL or whatever coz year eleven isnt a big issue.
Stick to two unit till the end of yr11. if you find it yourself as an "epic-2unit-fail-student" then, general is your option.

and please re-read the following quote.
don't be a twat and drop the subject simply because you tried for 2 months and found it a bit difficult

Kanane

HSC
N/A
What other subjects are you doing?
Biology, Chemistry, Japanese, English adv., Modern.

see how you go in the test. Dont drop it even if you FAIL or whatever coz year eleven isnt a big issue.
Stick to two unit till the end of yr11. if you find it yourself as an "epic-2unit-fail-student" then, general is your option.
Changing to General after a year of 2 unit would have made me miss a lot of General work no ?

If she has an option to drop it, It would be the better option imo.
I do have the option of dropping it, but to do Work Studies or General, which I am considering.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Changing to General after a year of 2 unit would have made me miss a lot of General work no ?
some of my friends sticked to 2unit in year eleven and switched to general in year twelve.
they say general is friggin' easy and are doing fine.

well, its up to you, after all, depends on what you wanna do after Hsc.
:)

Holly M

HSC
My friend dropped Ext 1 maths today (Not quite the same but you know). She is smart and did accelerated maths last year, she used to like maths and not anymore. She is good at it but it would require some work. She found it hard and confusing and too much work and decided that she doesn't really like it, so she dropped it. She had more units than neccesary anyway.

I'm not entirely sure why i'm telling you this, but i just am.

I suggest you try and struggle through until the end of the term. Review your results and see how you've done. If it is 'breaking you soul' as i call it (which is exactly what English is doing to me), then don't put yourself through all the pain and effort. I think it's a good idea that you started in Advanced, better to try and drop down.
My other friend was in the highest maths class last year and did... average. This year she elected for general maths (she could have done advanced, but she doesn't like maths and would have had to work a bit), now she is top of her class (something rare to her) and sometimes actually likes turning up to maths, which is very uncharacteristic. Look if you don't want to do it, and you don't think it will be important to your uni course (which is very unlikely) then i say hang on a bit, and then just do what you feel.

Do you really want to struggle and take up half your time with maths? Do you really want to be bored in general and know you could do better? Try asking your teacher what they think.

I hope that helped, however i have a feeling it didn't.

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
What maths pathway where you in last year? 5.1,5.2,5.3 (my school called them pathway c,b,a)
What are your plans after school?

ilikebeeef

HSC
See how you go in the test. Dont drop it even if you fail or whatever coz year eleven isnt a big issue.
Stick to two unit till the end of yr11. If you find it yourself as an "epic-2unit-fail-student" then, general is your option.

And please re-read the following quote.
+1.

HSC
If you dislike the subject and are finding it difficult, DROP IT! you will not regret it, your ATAR/ prelim mark will thank you :D

I detested mathmatics with a passion, so come year 11 and year 12 I dropped it, best decision I had ever made

Kanane

HSC
N/A
What maths pathway where you in last year? 5.1,5.2,5.3 (my school called them pathway c,b,a)
What are your plans after school?
I was in 5.3, so top Maths class.

Holly_M: That did help actually ^^ It gave me something to ponder upon so thank you~

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in 5.3, so top Maths class.

Holly_M: That did help actually ^^ It gave me something to ponder upon so thank you~
maybe you should keep it for the time being, if you do shit in the exam then drop it to general

besides, what do you even want to do at school anyway?

Kanane

HSC
N/A
maybe you should keep it for the time being, if you do shit in the exam then drop it to general

besides, what do you even want to do at school anyway?
Do you mean after school ?
If so, I want to pursue a career in Biotechnology / something related to Biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)