Should I drop 2U Maths? (1 Viewer)

Kanane

HSC
N/A
I was never a Maths oriented person but I was told to give 2U Maths a try before banishing it, as it could be better than what I had expected.

But now I'm really regretting it. I know, its only halfway through first term so I shouldn't conclude that 2U Maths is unfeasible but that's how I'm feeling. (I know for many people it's like the easiest subject ever, but certainly not me)
Seriously, the topic is Basic Algebra and Arith. and its literally supposed to be basic, hence the name. But I can't help but find myself struggling on many accounts finding the questions absolutely unfathomable.
I've also been told it would only get worse from here. How the heck will I cope?

So it is wise for me to drop the subject? Or stick it out and devote more time towards Maths? (I find that doing an abundance of questions does not help me learn how to do it)

mioumiou

HSC
I would be much better if you drop it. Since you're struggling at the moment. =S
But the decision is up to you whether to drop it or not. If it's getting too hard and you're really struggling with it, I would suggest you to drop it. :(

Edit: doing a subjects that you like is much better than forcing yourself to LOVE it.

Good luck with studying!! :)

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Hey. Wow that was a quick reply :3
I don't hate Maths at all, I just hate the fact that I can't do it.

Yeah, I think I might drop it because its pretty time consuming for me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If the extra effort isn't getting you anywhere, then drop it. You just may not be suited to the subject. If so, there's no point in slaving over it, when there's other things you could be focusing your attention on.

mioumiou

HSC
Hey. Wow that was a quick reply :3
I don't hate Maths at all, I just hate the fact that I can't do it.

Yeah, I think I might drop it because its pretty time consuming for me.
haha, thanks!!
Yeah, if you think it's very time consuming etc, then it's better to drop it then struggling + loads of worrying. It won't help with lifting your HSC marks. :(

madsam

God among men
HSC
How much work do you do on the subject each night/week?
Homework + study

If you're doing no work on it, then don't question why you're failing

Kanane

HSC
N/A
How much work do you do on the subject each night/week?
Homework + study

If you're doing no work on it, then don't question why you're failing
I do about 1 hour Maths a night, or more depending on workload. But that's only on homework. I consider it as my studying since I don't believe that you can do any study for Maths besides just practicing really.

I'm uncertain as to whether that's a lot of time spent on Maths or not, so please enlighten me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Compared to the top students, probably not. But that doesn't mean you should keep doing the subject and put in more time.

madsam

God among men
HSC
I do about 1 hour Maths a night, or more depending on workload. But that's only on homework. I consider it as my studying since I don't believe that you can do any study for Maths besides just practicing really.

I'm uncertain as to whether that's a lot of time spent on Maths or not, so please enlighten me.
Well obviously you can study for maths if you don't understand the questions, re read it all, don't just jump into questions, figure out what the chapter is about, why and how everything happens, and THEN do questions.

comprehension is the biggest step in maths

When i didn't understand things i was doing around 2-3 hours of maths a night, but once i was on top of the topic i did minimal, rarely even doing homework, but i figured in the exam how much i didn't know, and that doing the work would've been pretty good for my marks lol

mioumiou

HSC

I would suggest you to spend about extra 30 mins (or at least 30 minutes.... it depends on how much you want to do) on maths per day (not including your homework) and during this 30 mins try those challenging questions from Fitzpatrick or Cambridge. (But I think if you really want to give yourself a challenge, do Cambridge). Fitzpatrick is not as challenging but it's a great practice if you do some everyday. But you must understand the concepts, and always check your answers and find out where went wrong. :)

Kanane

HSC
N/A
Madsam - I think I will invest time in trying to understand the whole topic instead of just attempting to get the questions correct as I go.

mioumiou - Thanks for your advice ^^ I don't think I'm ready for the challenging questions yet, but hopefully my maths can proceed towards it.

I'll stick it out for a few more week, or till the end of this term and then make my decision. Thanks for the opinions & help! xD

Kanane

HSC
N/A
^ Well I haven't done the test for the topic yet but I don't think I'm so far as to failing.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Compared to the top students, probably not. But that doesn't mean you should keep doing the subject and put in more time.
I didn't spend an hour every night systematically on Mathematics.

But then again... I only did get band E4 for Ext 1 and Ext 2.

K

Kozak92

Remember General is always an option.
If he has an option to drop it, It would be the better option imo.

General is hard to get a band 6 and you don't have much room for error because of the shit cunts in the cohort.

Schoey93

HSC
If he has an option to drop it, It would be the better option imo.

General is hard to get a band 6 and you don't have much room for error because of the shit cunts in the cohort.
Plenty of people from my school have managed a band 6 in general. It doesn't seem too hard to do.

OP: It's your decision and if you can drop it and would like to, do it. I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment too. Factorising takes a while ...

madsam

God among men
HSC
don't be a twat and drop the subject simply because you tried for 2 months and found it a bit difficult. Remember, general maths won't meet any prerequisites at uni, you will need 2unit or higher. It's really not that hard if you commit yourself and want to learn it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)