HSC
N/A
Hi

Please help!!

For prelims I'm going to do:
English Adv
English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Chemistry (accelerated so i'll finish it in yr11 next year)
Physics
French continuers
French extension (yr12)

If I pick up MX2 will my workload be too much?
Will it help with physics and MX1?
Also which subject should I drop if I do MX2?

Good luck to anyone doing their HSC this year :)
Thanks for all the tips :)

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Honestly, if you have excellent time management and keep a level head, the workload won't be too much. Just remember you will be spending around 40% time on maths, and you have two other extensions that are pretty intensive.

From my knowledge, MX2 and physics have a bit of crossover but the maths in physics is so dumbed down you won't find much correlation between the two.

Hope this helps :)

HSC
FYI French Extension is a bitch if you aren't willing to put in the work for it...

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Really, the only two things you need to consider is if you are willing to put the effort in, and if you are capable at doing it. For me, 3/4U took up 2-3 hours a day for homework/study, so if you feel comfortable that you can fit that into your day, then definitely go for it. The thing that helps you is that you will have finished chem in year 11, so you will only have 12 units in year 12, which is definitely manageable. So if your teacher recommends that you pick up 4U, and you think you can fit in 2 hours of maths study a day, then by all means pick up 4U.

And physics will help you conceptually with 3U in projectiles, but it won't help mathematically.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
^if you get consistent 80+'s in ex1, ur capable of good 4u marks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^if you get consistent 80+'s in ex1, ur capable of good 4u marks.
Not necessarily. It depends on the school assessment and also how well you actually attempt the ext.2 course.

OP, you should consider doing ext.2 if you genuinely enjoyed ext.1 maths and found it super easy in preliminary based on textbook work and general ability. Also, if you are in the top in your cohort (or whatever part of your cohort usually does ext.2) then give it a go.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Not necessarily. It depends on the school assessment and also how well you actually attempt the ext.2 course.

OP, you should consider doing ext.2 if you genuinely enjoyed ext.1 maths and found it super easy in preliminary based on textbook work and general ability. Also, if you are in the top in your cohort (or whatever part of your cohort usually does ext.2) then give it a go.
+1

Tbh I wouldn't even think about doing mx2 yet. I only decided to do it halfway through year 11 :p

motaba

HSC
I found it helped greatly with MX1 since exposure to MX2 questions will make MX1 questions easier. It didn't help with physics at all for me, the mathematical and mechanical concepts for physics were far simpler than MX2. Doing MX2 won't help you with physics.

Accelerant

HSC
Go with your gut feeling. If you don't like it then drop it? I'm assuming you're holding 12 or more units.

such_such

HSC
Take it up, then drop it if you don't like it anymore. For me, although I loved the crazy scaling, I wouldn't choose it again lol. 'Fun' and challenging but just not for me if I had to re-choose my subjects for HSC:)

yasminee96

HSC
From my experience, MX2 doesn't help physics and vice versa. MX1 projectiles help physics projectiles. But that's pretty much it. I did MX2 because I liked it and found MX1 not too bad. Doing MX2 makes MX1 look like baby work. French Extension, English Extension AND MX2 seems like a big workload. I would drop French if i had to drop something, but then again it'd probs be coz i don't enjoy it.

If you must drop something, drop the subject you enjoy the least :)

williamdaft

HSC
MX2 helps you with MX1 a lot.. and the scaling for both is so amazing <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)