Should i bother doing law (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Basically I im in yr 11 and am pretty certain i will get a ATAR of 95 because im top 3 in each of my subjects and that is like high 90's, anyway...

I am looking at aa fewdegrees

A Laws and Economics -Macq- ATAR of 95

or

A political, economic and social science degree- Sydney uni -ATAR of 95

or

A Economics Degree- Sydney Uni- ATAR 95

I do not intend to work in courts when im older or even really in that field, but i feel if i do it it will increase the likely hood of jobs offers???

What do you think

sean1990

HSC
Im assuming you want to work in the economics field?

If so, I think a law degree would certainly look favourably, as many top firms in any field like law students because they know they have good written communication and I think the ability to do sound research would also look favourably.

However, in saying this, law is a tough degree, and if you do not like law generally, I think it would be very difficult to do. It requires alot of commitment, far more than an economics/commerce degree, and should not be entered into lightly.

I have heard only50% of law students profess in law so what the other 50% do is probably something with their other degree, and most combine law degrees with commerce degrees- me included, so you definately would not be alone.

I think you should aim high, if not your marks will be good enough to do economics or any of those other degrees.

your only in year 11 u have plenty of time.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Basically I im in yr 11 and am pretty certain i will get a ATAR of 95 because im top 3 in each of my subjects and that is like high 90's, anyway...

or

or

I do not intend to work in courts when im older or even really in that field, but i feel if i do it it will increase the likely hood of jobs offers???

What do you think
You best be trolling. No-one who is in the top 3 for all their subjects would make such an elementary mistake with basic grammar.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

or

or

What do you think
m8 do what you want

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Try to get into whatever course you can. If you get the UNSW AAA scholarship then you should be able to get into UNSW law, which is a great course, perhaps even better than MQ (but that's always subjective).

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea it'd be a great use of an extra 2 years. Think about it:

- You can come out of uni in the same $60k job which is a great amount of money especially if you're trying to live in Sydney and pay rent for a one-bedder of $650 per week
- You can also have an extra 2 years worth of debt whic his around $15-20k

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
However, in saying this, law is a tough degree, and if you do not like law generally, I think it would be very difficult to do. It requires alot of commitment, far more than an economics/commerce degree, and should not be entered into lightly.
+1

if you dont really have an interest for law, i personally dont recommend it as it requires lots of commitments. Dunno about other unis but for UNSW you are expected to read like 50 pages worth of materials before each lecture(tutorials) and be prepared to discuss the material from your perspective and how you developed it.

Also with the law essays, forget your high school essays. It's nothing like it. In high school describing stuff can still scrape you the A range, but for law essays, you be lucky to scrape a pass from mere description. It's all about critical analysis and commentary i.e. what did you get out of it and how/why?

I know someone who dropped out of law and is now doing straight commerce because law was too demanding for her and she did not have the commitment for it.

theMoment

HSC
+1

if you dont really have an interest for law, i personally dont recommend it as it requires lots of commitments. Dunno about other unis but for UNSW you are expected to read like 50 pages worth of materials before each lecture(tutorials) and be prepared to discuss the material from your perspective and how you developed it.

Also with the law essays, forget your high school essays. It's nothing like it. In high school describing stuff can still scrape you the A range, but for law essays, you be lucky to scrape a pass from mere description. It's all about critical analysis and commentary i.e. what did you get out of it and how/why?

I know someone who dropped out of law and is now doing straight commerce because law was too demanding for her and she did not have the commitment for it.
So when Trans4M says fifty pages, what he really means is something more like thirty pages on a bad day (including supplementary materials) and ten on a good day (usually no need to read supplementary materials). But then, in the textbook, one page is more or less A5 in size, so it really is only 15 pages of A4.

You also don't really need a passion for law. If you English Extension 1/2 and you understand how to critically analyse and deconstruct a text (usually a judgment), then you're well on your way to a distinction average. If you describe the case, then you won't pass.

Finally, law isn't that demanding. It's more of a group time activitiy where you discuss the material in the textbook (read the first paragraph) and clarify anything you misunderstood. You'll also get to watch numerous videos ranging from some dude who wanted his land back to some justices laughing at their own jokes. For USyd and UNSW, you only do one subject of law per semester in the first year so it isn't that bad.

Only JD courses are intensive. Check out their schedule and you'll see what I mean - especially if they elect to finish it in two years.

Last edited:

trevhk

HSC
N/A
So when Trans4M says fifty pages, what he really means is something more like thirty pages on a bad day (including supplementary materials) and ten on a good day (usually no need to read supplementary materials). But then, in the textbook, one page is more or less A5 in size, so it really is only 15 pages of A4.

You also don't really need a passion for law. If you English Extension 1/2 and you understand how to critically analyse and deconstruct a text (usually a judgment), then you're well on your way to a distinction average. If you describe the case, then you won't pass.

Finally, law isn't that demanding. It's more of a group time activitiy where you discuss the material in the textbook (read the first paragraph) and clarify anything you misunderstood. You'll also get to watch numerous videos ranging from some dude who wanted his land back to some justices laughing at their own jokes. For USyd and UNSW, you only do one subject of law per semester in the first year so it isn't that bad.

Only JD courses are intensive. Check out their schedule and you'll see what I mean - especially if they elect to finish it in two years.
I disagree, 50 pages (A4) sounds more like the correct length and that's taking into account the same parameters that you considered. The weekly readings are well in excess of 75 pages and not surprisingly most often in the range of 100-150. The font is miniscule and on top of that, the writing is crammed. While the first year of law school is not overly demanding or difficult, it is by no means any indication of the work required in order to progress through a law degree. If you put it in perspective, the first year of university for any undergraduate student enrolled in any degree is not extremely demanding at all. Rather, the first year is structured in such a way that new undergraduate students are able to settle into university life.

Also, what one would define as a 'good' or 'adequate' mark is really only a matter of interpretation. However, given the competition in the legal industry and the oversupply of law graduates, exacerbated by a recent study which has shown that law students earn on average less than graduates of other disciplines, it is arguable whether a credit is sufficient, let alone a high credit. So this again will really depend on where you want to take your law degree. If you just want to pass, then it's really not that difficult so long as you keep up with your readings.

However, to simply suggest that Extension English equips you for a distinction average is misleading. The skills you learn in Extension English are no different to those in advanced or general English. While you are taught critical analysis in high school, it does not in any way prepare you for the level of thought, depth and analysis required at university. You'll find that the thought processes bear little similarity, if any at all, and analysing a judgment will feel extremely alien at first and somewhat frustrating. It's not a matter of simply being able to understand the judgment - understanding of which comes through critical analysis and not just merely reading it - but being able to apply it to any given process creatively and skillfully. Where a passion in law helps is where there are discrepancies between judgments and where no clear definitive principle exists. The higher level responses are then required to choose the 'best' alternative, which is itself a subjective and relative process, and must justify the choice made based upon personal convictions, developments in the law and rationale - Eg. notions of justice may come into play, or how a certain principle when applied in certain cases results in such injustice that it warrants a departure from the general rules or otherwise.

Asides from the obvious nature of tutorials in helping students to understand and clarify the material, it plays a much more important role. More often than not, the tutorials are led by members who were once or are currently members of the legal profession. Their insights help to bridge the gap between ideology and practicality. This gives students the opportunity to apply their knowledge outside of an academic sense. In the end, you are really in law school just to learn how to 'think like a lawyer', the law changes so rapidly that knowledge is fleeting.

Hope you make the right decision OP. But if you want to become an economist, which I am assuming from the choice of degree's that you have listed, it's best just to stick to a bachelor of economics degree and pursue honours. If RBA is where you want to work, that it is almost imperative for you to attain an honours degree in Economics. But then again, law does enhance your research skills and may work wonders for career prospects as an economist.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Do something you really enjoy. You don't want to look back and say, 'oh, did I just wast 7 years of my life?'

You've got time to think, no worries.

I Study Hard

HSC
7 years?
A combined degree is only 5 years o_O;

OP, I wouldn't do a law degree for the sake of doing a law degree. I've known alot of people that started off doing the same degree as me (law/com) but have changed courses after one semester because they didn't really want to do a law degree. As said above, you're better off doing an Economics degree with honours. Law is one of those things, it's hard to do well in if you don't have an interest in it.

Nick_Tully

HSC
dont worry about it, unlesss you want to go straight to wetern sydney

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well realistically, if you want to just get a P average in law, it's not that difficult and you will have some spare time. depending on what subjects you study readings are almost non-existent. so i think it's still possible to attain hon in econ degree while combining it with a law degree - ultimately it's you who will make the decision but this option is quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)