should ethanasia be legalised or not? (1 Viewer)

choc-chip

HSC
elisabeth said:
I would like to think that he would know he best, he was her husband. And forgive me if I've been reading the news in too many places and am getting confused, but I swear she told him that at some point before her accident - ok, it wasn't written down, but I guess this case will encourage more people to write living wills.
claps!sounds like what i wanna hear!

elisabeth said:
As for everyone who's sprouting the "oh, euthanasia shouldn't be legal because it affects your family too..." how about we just stop doing EVERYTHING that would affect our families? You want to study fashion design and move out to Canberra, HELL NO, your family would be affected! They'd miss you, you're so selfish to put them through that just because you want to go to a better place! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel hurt and extremely sad if someone -I- loved chose to take their own life. But really, trying to keep someone alive who is in great pain and is no longer having a 'worthwhile' life, in their opinion, so we can feel good that they're still with us - isn't that just as selfish? I think with a right to live should come the right to die.

Euthanasia is a reasonable option, say, when someone is in extreme pain and their condition is getting progressively worse. It's going to be over, if it is their will to end life on their terms before the pain gets unbearable and they will have no control over themselves, let them do it.

We put our pets down 'humanely' to 'end their suffering'. And they don't even have a say! Why is it so unreasonable to do the same for a human when they EXPRESSLEY SAY they WANT to die?
well done, elisabeth!
I want more opinion based on this incident...stick to the event please.......

iamsickofyear12

HSC
HotShot said:
By Having The Right To Live You Do Not Have The Right To Die, Why Becuase When You Die It Doesnt Just Affect You But Everyone Else Close To Know. Therefore It Is Not Entirely Your Rite, You Must Consider Others!

Euthanasia Should Only Be Allowed As A Last Option. Commiting Sucicide Regardless Of The Situation Should Not Be Allowed. It Is Understandable If A Person Suffering Cancer, To Choose Euthanasia. Only Extreme Cases.
Thats bullshit. If I want to die I should be able to die, I don't care whether other people don't like it. If those other people actually cared about you they would respect your wishes, and if they didn't care then its none of their business.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
i guess suicide is just a shorter term for self-serve euthanasia :confused:
:p

In the end though, it's a matter of the law condoning murder. What's going to happen when consent becomes a defence to murder? :rolleyes:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think that assissted suicide should be de-criminalised, however, to make it legal, the person dying should have it in their will that they wanted to die. in the case of people who cant put it in their will, well then, i dunno

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
I think the parents were really selfish with the keeping her alive business. Plus, the husband had to put his life on hold for 15 years... you gotta feel bad for him

choc-chip

HSC
townie said:
i think that assissted suicide should be de-criminalised, however, to make it legal, the person dying should have it in their will that they wanted to die. in the case of people who cant put it in their will, well then, i dunno
This case can be referred to non-voluntary euthanasia , that is instances of euthanasia where a person is either not competent to or unable to, express a wish about euthanasia, and there is no one authoritised to make a judgement.

choc-chip

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
when the patient is in extreme and constant pain. I don't think patients who are still physically capable should be allowed to die at their wish - that's being rather selfish to their loved ones. Death is irreversible, so if there are any chances, regardless of how small they might be, that the patient can recover from their vegetative state, or recover emotionally/physically, then euthanasia shouldn't be an option.
Terri was in a "persistent vagetative status" which means she's obviously physically incapable.
"This death was not for the siblings, and not for the spouse and not for the parents. This was for Terri."Mr Schiavo's attorney says.
"Mr. Schiavo's overriding concern here was to provide for Terri a peaceful death with dignity,"

tattoodguy

i recon anytime u care for someone and there fucked up and wanta die..or would want to die...................u should have the right to kill them.

Its slack to let someone you love suffer.

If they are fucked ----------------u should shoot them in the head........

i have alot of respect for those who killed family members who are sick etc the old fashioned way..................by just shooting them or whatever.

Its better than taking them to hospital and prelonging their suffering.

tattoodguy

Also i hate ppple who suicide with guns..................its a waste of a gun ---------

We need more guns in the commmunity.

Is there a law or something............the government is trying to say......................its illlegal to talk about suicide etc? post information about suicide etc? anyone here something about this?

Fucking government another huge violation of our freedoms.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
There is nothing more masculine than blowing your head off with a gun.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The legalisation of euthanasia is perhaps what scares me.

There are particularly strong examples as to where euthanasia would be seen as "preferable" as someone has stated. And there are other examples when it is not.

I think, that the legalisation of killing, and lets not beat around the bush, the intent is to kill someone, thereby ending their life, is perhaps what needs to be carefully analysed.

(edit: Additionally, the reason given in the opening page about euthanasia being legalised due to the "piss weak excuse of the starvation..etc" is in fact Passive Euthanasia, and there is a metaethical debate as to whether Active (ie, lethal injection) would be more humane than that of Passive (ie, starvation).)

mahuligan

HSC
if Euthanasia is ever allowed i certainly hope it isnt as prolonged as that womans death was

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i am not sure about if it should be legalised or not, but choc-chip yuor avatar is looking hot, hope its yuo on it
Haha already tried that one, apparently it's some Honkie celebrity.

[trent]

HSC
I'm all for legalising euthanasia, as long as its a situation where the patient (victim?) has a choice. I believe strongly that people with terminal illnesses, who are unable to committ suicide, should have the option of euthanasia made available to them.

mahuligan

HSC
why isnt anyone hyped up about how long it took for that woman to die?
fair enough euthenasia should be legalised but shouldnt a more painless and quicker way be used?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mahuligan said:
why isnt anyone hyped up about how long it took for that woman to die?
fair enough euthenasia should be legalised but shouldnt a more painless and quicker way be used?
She was incapable of feeling anything, hence it was not painful, and time was irrelevant.

mahuligan

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
She was incapable of feeling anything, hence it was not painful, and time was irrelevant.
but what about her family? and loved ones? imagine how painful it would be to watch one of your parents, or your best friend slowly starve to death, even if you are completely aware of the fact that she cant feel anything?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mahuligan said:
but what about her family? and loved ones? imagine how painful it would be to watch one of your parents, or your best friend slowly starve to death, even if you are completely aware of the fact that she cant feel anything?
Well they had been watching her in the same state for 9 years, 2 weeks isn't going to make a difference!

It would be sad to see one of my family members die, obviously, but the fact they can't actually feel anything means I have no objections to them going in that fashion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)