should ethanasia be legalised or not? (3 Viewers)

choc-chip

HSC
Should Terri Schiavo have die?

The Terri Schiavo saga in Florida, where a patient in a vegetative state has recently die 13days after the feeding tube been disconnected,and 15 years after the tube was first connected.

Husband Michael Schiavo claims his wife would not have wanted to live in her condition.( and yet we can not approve it since Terri Schiavo had left no written instructions about what action she wanted taken if she became disabled. )

on the other hand, Father Frank Pavone insist their daughter will eventually recover if kept alive.

"This is not only a death, with all the sadness that brings, but this is a killing, and for that we not only grieve that Terri has passed but we grieve that our nation has allowed such an atrocity as this and we pray that it will never happen again."

have your say please.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It should be legalised if the best alternative is the piss-weak, face saving starvation method where they claim 'natural causes'.

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
elisabeth said:
Are you gonna finish this?
why dont you finish it... or better yet, lets play that game where each person says the next sentence... thatd be fun.

cappen

Has an Executive Member
HSC
i believe it should b legalised, but obviously under a controlled environment and with correct documentation cause nutcases will start using it as an excuse to perform murder

elisabeth

HSC
RingerINC said:
why dont you finish it... or better yet, lets play that game where each person says the next sentence... thatd be fun.
Why not. Following on from...

Husband Michael Schiavo claims he wants what's best for her.

Well, I would agree there, i believe he did what he did because it was what she would have wanted. And he was her husband for the whole 15 years, how easy would it have been to get a divorce after getting the money? But he didn't because he was fighting for her.

I think people should have the right to die and if it is their will there should be humane ways for them, if necessary with assisstance, to do it.

bamiyan

Yes youthinasia should be legalised and carried out under strict conditions - logically, if you have the right to live, you have the right to die.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i am not sure about if it should be legalised or not, but choc-chip yuor avatar is looking hot, hope its yuo on it

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bamiyan said:
Yes youthinasia should be legalised and carried out under strict conditions - logically, if you have the right to live, you have the right to die.
Perfectly Said.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not Necessarily

By Having The Right To Live You Do Not Have The Right To Die, Why Becuase When You Die It Doesnt Just Affect You But Everyone Else Close To Know. Therefore It Is Not Entirely Your Rite, You Must Consider Others!

Euthanasia Should Only Be Allowed As A Last Option. Commiting Sucicide Regardless Of The Situation Should Not Be Allowed. It Is Understandable If A Person Suffering Cancer, To Choose Euthanasia. Only Extreme Cases.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
choc-chip said:
The Terri Schiavo saga in Florida, where a patient in a vegetative state has recently die 13days after the feeding tube been disconnected,and 15 years after the tube was first connected. Husband Michael Schiavo claims
That is a remarkably pretty picture

:eek:

choc-chip

HSC
elisabeth said:
Well, I would agree there, i believe he did what he did because it was what she would have wanted. .
How can we approve whether that's Terri Schiavo's wish when she had left no written instructions about what action she wanted taken if she became disabled.

choc-chip

HSC
HotShot said:
By Having The Right To Live You Do Not Have The Right To Die, Why Becuase When You Die It Doesnt Just Affect You But Everyone Else Close To Know. Therefore It Is Not Entirely Your Rite, You Must Consider Others!

Euthanasia Should Only Be Allowed As A Last Option. Commiting Sucicide Regardless Of The Situation Should Not Be Allowed. It Is Understandable If A Person Suffering Cancer, To Choose Euthanasia. Only Extreme Cases.

Advocates of voluntary euthanasia contend that if a person is
(a) suffering from a terminal illness;

(b) unlikely to benefit from the discovery of a cure
(Court-appointed doctors ruled she was in a persistent vegetative state, with no real consciousness or chance of recovery.)

(c) as a direct result of the illness, either suffering intolerable pain, or only has available a life that is unacceptably burdensome (she's being in the vegatative status since she ollapsed in 1990)

(d) has an enduring, voluntary and competent wish to die (Terri Schiavo had left no written instructions about what action she wanted taken if she became disabled. )

(e) unable without assistance to commit suicide(same as obove)

Do u still believe she should have die?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
choc-chip said:

(Court-appointed doctors ruled she was in a persistent vegetative state, with no real consciousness or chance of recovery.)

(c) as a direct result of the illness, either suffering intolerable pain, or only has available a life that is unacceptably burdensome (she's being in the vegatative status since she ollapsed in 1990)

(d) has an enduring, voluntary and competent wish to die (Terri Schiavo had left no written instructions about what action she wanted taken if she became disabled. )

Do u still believe she should have die?
IMO, there are definitely certain cases where euthanasia would be preferable, eg. when the patient is in extreme and constant pain. I don't think patients who are still physically capable should be allowed to die at their wish - that's being rather selfish to their loved ones. Death is irreversible, so if there are any chances, regardless of how small they might be, that the patient can recover from their vegetative state, or recover emotionally/physically, then euthanasia shouldn't be an option.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I don't think patients who are still physically capable should be allowed to die at their wish - that's being rather selfish to their loved ones.
I should point out that people in prime physical condition are quite capable of euthanising themselves. Only people with say DMD, or who are completely incapacitated in some other way can't actually kill themselves.

The sad thing is, when these people DO kill themselves, they can't have their family and loved ones around them when they pass away - as that would be assisted suicide. :mad:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
neo_o said:
I should point out that people in prime physical condition are quite capable of euthanising themselves. Only people with say DMD, or who are completely incapacitated in some other way can't actually kill themselves.

The sad thing is, when these people DO kill themselves, they can't have their family and loved ones around them when they pass away - as that would be assisted suicide. :mad:
Good point.
Their family should be around to look after them all the time then. If they really cared about their loved ones, maybe they would reconsider before breaking their hearts. :(

elisabeth

HSC
choc-chip said:
How can we approve whether that's Terri Schiavo's wish when she had left no written instructions about what action she wanted taken if she became disabled.
I would like to think that he would know he best, he was her husband. And forgive me if I've been reading the news in too many places and am getting confused, but I swear she told him that at some point before her accident - ok, it wasn't written down, but I guess this case will encourage more people to write living wills.

Originally Posted by Dreamerish*~
I don't think patients who are still physically capable should be allowed to die at their wish - that's being rather selfish to their loved ones.
As for everyone who's sprouting the "oh, euthanasia shouldn't be legal because it affects your family too..." how about we just stop doing EVERYTHING that would affect our families? You want to study fashion design and move out to Canberra, HELL NO, your family would be affected! They'd miss you, you're so selfish to put them through that just because you want to go to a better place! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I wouldn't feel hurt and extremely sad if someone -I- loved chose to take their own life. But really, trying to keep someone alive who is in great pain and is no longer having a 'worthwhile' life, in their opinion, so we can feel good that they're still with us - isn't that just as selfish? I think with a right to live should come the right to die.

Euthanasia is a reasonable option, say, when someone is in extreme pain and their condition is getting progressively worse. It's going to be over, if it is their will to end life on their terms before the pain gets unbearable and they will have no control over themselves, let them do it.

We put our pets down 'humanely' to 'end their suffering'. And they don't even have a say! Why is it so unreasonable to do the same for a human when they EXPRESSLEY SAY they WANT to die?

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
i guess suicide is just a shorter term for self-serve euthanasia :confused:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
choc-chip said:

How often does all of the above apply beyond doubt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)